5.0 out of 5 stars An Instant Smash!
Smash is without doubt one of the freshest and most ambitious new shows to come from The US in years.

The creation of a new Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe offers an exhilarating and dramatic backdrop to the complicated lives of the shows stars and creators. Particular mention must go to Wicked star Megan Hilty as Broadway star Ivy, Debra...
Published on 25 Jun 2012 by Liam86

3.0 out of 5 stars Great series - DVD missing English subtitles!
Love the series, couldnt wait to order the DVDs but very very disapointed as no english subtitles!!!!! Didnt realise that DVDs meant for UK zones wouldnt have subtitles available in English!!!!
Published 21 months ago by reviewer

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars CHEESE AND SOAP, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
....Admittedly, not a good mixture - but if you like your soaps nice and cheesy you'll simply love this.
I can't say that I wasn't entertained, as it managed to hold my interest till the end. Nevertheless, it was very much in the nature of a "guilty pleasure," since so much of it was truly cringe-worthy.
It's full of sparkle and pizazz, but about as inspired and original as tap water. Whilst you can see that a lot of work has gone into the series, it's a pity that all that song and dance is so derivative and trite. There is not a single note or a dance step that you haven't seen a million times before, not to mention with a lot more artistry and depth than you get here.
Of course it's only a TV show, so you wouldn't expect to find Cole Porter here. On the other hand, I can't see any merit whatsoever in this kind of "manufactured" entertainment - words and notes by themselves don't make songs, which is just about all you get here. Why on earth a crew of professionals become so awe-inspired every time someone breaks out into a thoroughly banal song and dance routine throughout this show is beyond me. Steven Spielberg, where were you hiding when they shot this?
Still, all is not lost, since the story line holds together pretty well, and Debra Messing & Co. do a very good job. Thanks in large measure to to the acerbic Jack Davenport, the treacle level is kept under control.
All in all, quite entertaining from a dramatic point of view, but the trashy music is the price you pay for it all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
It's ok. I can't say I would go out of my way to watch again I got a bit bored half way through

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken case, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Package took quite a while to be delivered but to be fair, it was ordered over the busy Christmas/New Year period. DVDs all in perfect working order and DVD case was sealed and in new-looking condition. However, I'm concerned that the DVDs will become scratched soon because as soon as I took them out of their places in the case, the plastic seals that keep them in place in the box all fell apart except for one, which wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't so many discs in the case, but as there are four, I'm sure they will start rubbing together and get scratched. This must be a problem in packaging or handling.

However, like I said, the DVDs are currently great and I adore the show. I'll definitely be ordering season two in due course! Very disappointed that there's going to be no more...

5.0 out of 5 stars This a great one for musical fans., 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
The story is about a new musical about a Marilyn Munro. It is brilliant. The music and songs in it are brilliant and it isnt ascheesy as Glee. I will be getting the next series.
I

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw this on TV and loved it., 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this series on television and loved it. Didn't want to take up too much HD memory on my Sky box, so got the DVD box set instead. Speedy delivery, really pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Jan 2013
Mrs. Sa Medland (Jersey CI) - See all my reviews
Love it all

1.0 out of 5 stars no english subtitles, 4 Jan 2014
Brian (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I wear hearing aids and rely on subtitles - in English! There are subtitles but only in Scandinavian languages. WHY?!! I was given this set as a Xmas gift, and can't therefore return it to amazon. I've checked out the product details provided on amazon just now and to be fair they state quite clearly the limited subtitle range. But again -WHY NOT IN ENGLISH?
The manufacturers of the discs are to blame, and amazon should be takinmg it up with them. C'mon amazon people, get a grip.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
it was a present and the person who received it appeared pleased. I cant comment as I am unlikely to see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glee for Adults!, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this brilliant series on the TV & knew my niece would LOVE it! She & my sister stayed up til two in the morning to watch in all in one go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift to a friend, 21 Feb 2013
M. G. Gray "cody" (edinburgh, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smash - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I gave this to a friend as a gift at Christmas and do not know how she enjoyed it, but I sincerely hope she did.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Smash - Season 1 [DVD]
Smash - Season 1 [DVD] by Debra Messing (DVD - 2012)