5.0 out of 5 stars A superb compact camera, with a huge lens
Published on 14 May 2012 by Peter

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but I preferred my Canon...
Good value for money (especially through Amazon) and a fairly good camera; easy to compose & shoot pictures, good range of features. However, very difficult to avoid "lens shake" on full zoom, so consequently a lot of wasted fuzzy shots. Frustrating if, like me, you take a lot of wildlife pictures on full zoom. My old Canon, which this camera was to replace, although...
Published 20 months ago by Debra

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb compact camera, with a huge lens, 14 May 2012
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX L310 Compact Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Because this camera looks like a bridge camera, it's natural to assume it should have lots of controls, and then be disappointed when it doesn't. If you turn that thought on its head, you begin to see that this is actually a very good all-automatic compact camera, but with such a good lens that it couldn't fit into the compact shape. It can manage pretty good wide-angle shooting for indoors, and has a long 21x zoom, which is very good for taking pictures of birds on the birdfeeder in the garden.

The downside is that the big lens means it doesn't really fit into most pockets. The up side is that this camera takes astonishingly good pictures for this sort of camera, and you don't need to be an expert to use it. It uses 4 x AA batteries, which I actually prefer to rechargeables as it's easy to carry spares and there's no worry about recharging when you're out and about. You get your first set of batteries in the box, but you need to buy yourself an SDHC card (such as Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card), which fits in to the camera beside the batteries. A strap, and a lens cap are provided, together with a manual and some CDs that I haven't looked at.

Best resolution is 4320 x 3240. Choose the resolution with the star beside it, because that gives a higher-quality result. You can also take HD video, but note that this is at 720 pixels, not the higher 1080 standard.

I bought this camera from Argos, not Amazon, because it was cheaper at the time. Actually, I tried to buy a Nikon Coolpix L120 Digital Camera - Black (14MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD, a Which? Best Buy, but Argos swapped it for the L310 without telling me. As it happens, the only differences (and I have read through the specifications very carefully) is that the viewing screen on the back of the camera has a lower resolution (it's the same size, just with fewer dots, and you probably wouldn't notice the difference), and that the battery life is a fair bit better.

The only real downside I can see (if we accept that this is a camera for people who want to be able to point and shoot) is that there's no optical viewfinder, so it can get a bit hard to hold the camera still when it's on it maximum zoom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! I want one!, 16 May 2012
I purchased this for my girlfriend, who hasn't got time to learn a dslr, aswell as messing with all those lens changes etc. We both went out to give it a test shoot, and i also took along, my D7000 and 55-300mm lens. No joke, the L310 bridge camera zooms in further, and the quality of the images are 100% on par. Shocked to be honest, and i'm now looking to get one myself, as a back-up camera. Just switch it on, point, and the auto functions do the rest. Impressive, and enough said!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, easy to use camera, 25 July 2012
Solo Walker "SW" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A really beautiful camera that fits in the hand perfectly. I am a keen walker & have walked miles with it attached to my wrist, so it is a robust piece of equipment. Battery life has really surprised me, weeks down the road & the original batteries are still going strong.
The camera is so easy to use, I can see all the controls without having to use reading glasses. The screen is large & crystal clear. The images are of a very good quality, far exceeding my expectations.
The controls are simple and give access to a whole range of effects that can transform a normal picture to a notch or two above the norm.
Really pleased with the quality of the camera build as well & trust it to provide me with hours of pleasure.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant if you are happy with all-Auto control., 9 May 2012
Seems quite well made but the pressure required to secure the batteries -4 AA-using part of the outer casing does not bode well from a longevity point of view and if you buy new at present there is a 2 yr warranty option offered on the label on the box -take it!. The viewing screen is quite proud and flush to rear of the camera which should be protected otherwise it will be a mass of scratches/scuffs after a few outings. Very good Zoom and the anti-vibration VR function works very well allowing sharp hand held shots at the far end of the range in good light. If you tried to cover the max zoom length with conventional DSLR lenses you would need a lot of bulky and not to say very expensive gear! The reaction time between pressing the shutter and capture is very good allowing quite spontaneous shots of children running towards you (for instance)and is much better than the majority of point & shoot cameras in this respect.
There is -however generally no control over exposure or depth of field -I say generally because it is possible -via the menu-to access the considerable number of scene modes to tailor Sports/Landscape etc, but there is no manual or program facility. The difficulty in accessing the in depth info relating to these modes is further exacerbated because the instructions are provided on a disc which -to me -is stupid in the extreme!!! These instructions -in themselves are not intuitive either and you end up going back and forth through a series of links to find what you want. In common with this cameras' rivals the viewing screen is not easy to see in bright conditions -and spectacle wearers with long sight rather than short will find the screen (which is only 230K and not the more recently seen 480K resolution) in 'no mans land' therefore will find that a bridge camera with a viewfinder may suit better.
The supplied View NX2 software is excellent it includes the Nikon D plus tweak which seems able to rescue shots that have been overexposed and is as good as many editing programmes costing 30 or more.
Batteries rather than Lithium suit me and the original non rechargeables show full charge after about a month's use.

Pros :- 21X Zoom Lens good wide angle (equivalent 25mm) to 525mm (equivalent 10x+ magnification)
- decent picture quality but my Samsung L600 takes as good a picture on 6mp up to 10' x 8".
-easy and convenient to carry about (a lot of cases sold for this camera are just too big-mine measures only 150mm x150mmx 100mm and is imported)
-good hd video performance with a/f accommodated for changes in focal length - clip length limited only by sd card size -get 8GB
-excellent software provided.
-good flash performance

Cons :- Little manual control -what there is will be lost to most who will never bother to access the frustrating links on the disc!!
Crackerjack and non-intuitive instructions on disc.
Flimsy and poorly designed battery compartment cover
Viewfinder to provide more versatility (for some but probably not all)
No hdmi output.

Summary

Very good 'point and shoot' upgrade with versatile Zoom and useable hd video for users with little interest in controlling settings or creativity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the moon with this purchase!, 26 Dec 2012
This camera is great! It is a very good quality camera that not only looks great, it works amazing too. The Nikon coolpix L310 was definitely a good purchase! I wasn't expecting much to be honest, because the price was the one of the lowest that I found online...however it has gone up and over all expectations. The size of the camera is perfect for me. Its not too bulky and heavy, as well as having a slim shape. It took me a couple of hours to get to grips with all the buttons (which there weren't many of) I easily learnt how to change the settings, video record and even try out many of the photo uses. E.g-

-Pet Landscapes
-Close Ups
-Party/Indoor
-Night Landscapes

The camera takes great close ups, I experimented with christmas tree baubles, household ornaments and even raindrops on the window! Every photo was perfectly clear. The camera also takes great wide shots and landscapes, in addition to great pet portraits (Dog wasn't very happy after being followed around for an hour though) :D

I am very pleased with the quality, look and features of this camera and I am overwhelmed with this purchase. I am definitely recommending to everyone looking for a low priced, good quality camera!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing camera with one issue, 3 July 2012
Weston D (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I recently bought this camera from the Argos in a sale I paid 119, well I didnt I ordered the NIKON L120 camera but was given this as a replacement. However this does not matter as the camera is great. The camera produces the best images from a cheap camera that I have seen, the colours are really bright and vivid and knocks the socks off any compact camera for the same price.

The images are best viewed on a USB through a HD TV as the HD brings out the best of the images. As for the video again is miles better than any compact I have ever owned or seen, when I recorded a 720p video on my last camera every time you zoomed in or out the sound wasn't there like it couldnt capture sound when it was zooming, this is no problem for this camera. I have to say I created a video straight after initial set up and played back through TV and I was amazed how detailed the video was and I was even more amazed by how clear the audio on playback was, it is so clear and crisp.
I am no camera expert and I dont pretend to be but from an average user then I would say this camera would be a great purchase for a beginner like myself. If you want more professional kit then I would look else where, but if you want a sub 200 camera that takes amazing shots and captures great video then I would say give it a go. I have only had the camera a few weeks and I havent messed with any of the settings too much but I think if I edit the settings then I could achieve even better images from it.

Now to the one issue I have with the camera, that is the screen quality is not very great at all. You can clearly see what you are taking an image or video of but it is not good quality. However if you look past this small issue then it is a great camera for the money.
I would give this camera 4.7 / 5 but amazon only allows either four or five then its far closer to a five star camera than a four star one.
I will update this review after a few months to see if my opinions change but I would say give it a go from my experience so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic bargain camera, 4 Oct 2012
Andrew Marriott "Andy" (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a cheap family digital camera in time for our family holiday to Florida. I was expecting it to be quite complicated to operate and wasnt relishing the thought of reading huge operation manuals.
As it turned out my daughter took over the camera duties after a day of taking photos prior to leaving and 650 shots later we have a brilliant record of our holiday including videos, all of which are safely downloaded onto our PC at home ready for printing. I couldnt recommend this camera enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece of kit, 26 April 2012
Being a complete novice, I plummed for this camera after a bit of research and advice from friends.
It's nice and light and the quality of the pictures, in my untrained eye seem really good.

Loads of settings for different situations. The menus are easy to use and the zoom is really good.

I only reason for 4 stars, rather than five is that it uses 4 AA batteries.
Not a big thing to be honest and hasn't really hampered me.

I like it!

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++++++++++, 14 Jun 2012
Excellent product, worth the money paid. Could have been fantastic if there was a pouch and a memory card.
I'm planning to get an another one for my friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good So Far ..., 3 Aug 2012
Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 21x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD

Ordered this for myself as a birthday present last month (mum paid of course) After repeatedly watching the Nikon advert,I decided I wanted to see what all the fuss about the brand is about. Was quite happy with my order,got dispatched and delivered within four days (free delivery with Amazon Prime). Camera came with four x AA long-lasting batteries which I am still using.

I am happy with my camera but the megapixel doesn't seem to be 14mp to me,it seems about 12 or 10. The image becomes quite blurry after a few zooms,It is a good camera but I think it is overrated & should be cheaper.

Overall, I have no regrets of buying it & I like my Nikon L310 a lot,I will print some images from it soon and hopefully they are of good quality.