5.0 out of 5 stars Max Arise's
Ill keep this short and sweet, as i see no point explaining each individual song!!
From the the intro 'Resistance' to the manic 'Redemption of man by God' featuring good old Dez Fafara :) this album blasts angry on a high level, even by Max Cavalera's standard.
Published on 14 May 2012 by James Hadoken

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, poor packaging.
Published on 29 Mar 2012 by Troy J. Marchant

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album, poor packaging., 29 Mar 2012
Troy J. Marchant (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
I'm reviewing the special edition version as I'm from the US and ordered from the UK to get the bonus tracks. The album gets 4.5 stars as it's definitely one of the best Soulfly has put out to date. The packaging on the other hand, gets one star because there's no place to put your booklet like 99% of albums give you. There's no slit in the bottom of the digipak for it to sit in or opening in the front of the package for it to slide into. So you could easily lose your booklet as it will just fall out when you open the digipak up. Roadrunner was pretty dumb on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Max Arise's, 14 May 2012
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Bits of songs feel Sepultur-ish, but in a good way. The main plus of this album is that (i feel) its keeps things interesting. Riffs are catchy, production is good in general, unlike the slightly dissapointing Omen which was in my opinion quite a boring album!!! and what was with the drums?? they snared like something from the 80s glam period!
But enough moaning about their previous album, this review is about 'Enslaved' which i give a good 8/10. it was never gonna match his earlier masterpieces like
Beneath The Remains (Reissue), Roots or Soulfly, but its much better than most of the modern 'turd' rock thats going around nowadays!!!

P.S. if your serious about soulfly, or (like me) Max Cavalera in general, then make the effort and listen to his earlier music. check these out-
#SEPULTURA (1989-1996)
beneath the remains, arise, chaos A.D., roots, blood-rooted, under a pale gray sky, chaos DVD.
(i know they did 2 earlier albums before they signed to Roadrunner, but they were somewhat poor in quality and all over the place. 'Beneath the remains' is where Max's journey trully begins)
#NAILBOMB (1994-1995)
point blank, proud to commit commercial suicide.
#CAVALERA CONSPIRACY (2008-????)
inflikted, blunt force trauma.
#SOULFLY (1998-????)
soulfly, primitive, 3, prophecy, dark ages, conquer, omen, enslaved.

I hope you find this list useful. Thanks for reading ;D

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulfly - Enslaved, 12 Mar 2012
Gentlegiantprog "Kingcrimsonprog" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Fronted as always by Max Cavelera, Soulfly have lived through enough line-up changes in the past to carry on strong no matter who joins or leaves their fold and deliver more of the same Thrash, Groove and World Music inspired Metal that the band have been creating since their inception a decade and a half ago.

Enslaved is the band's eighth studio album. It was released in 2012 and finds the band recording with a new rhythm section as bassist Bobby Burns (who had been in the band since 2003) and drummer Joe Nunez (who was in the band since 2000, except for one album) get replaced by Tony Campos of Static-X and David Kinkade of Borknagar.

Lead guitarist Marc Rizzo is now the band's second longest lasting member behind Max himself, and has become more and more integral to the band's sound and direction since joining in 2003 (in addition to appearing in alongside Max in his other band Cavelera Conspiracy.)

Where Enslaved fits in with the rest of the band's catalogue is definitely closer in style to the sound found on the faster and darker albums like Dark Ages than the fun and bouncy tribal sing along albums like Primitive. It is probably the most straight forward, serious and un-experimental sounding album the band have ever done, which counter-intuitively lends the record a really interesting an vital sound.

The style at this stage is completely absent of any Nu Metal influence, with the drumming and guitar generally a lot more clinical and thrash influenced than ever before, however the manage to do so in a manner that feels entirely modern and nothing like homage to the 1980s. The main riff of `Treachery' for example feels almost like it could have been written by Chimaira's Rob Arnold, and the huge string bends at the beginning of 'Chains' sound a little like recent Cannibal Corpse tracks in a subtle sort of a way.

Enslaved also carves its own position in the Soulfly catalogue by having removed all traces of the World Music interludes, intros and outros that had peppered all of the band's previous work to at least some extent. Furthermore, the band even went as far as not including a Self-Titled instrumental track in the main album like they had always done on previous records (although one does crop up on the special edition. )

One thing that Soulfly have never been able to stop themselves doing however is include guest appearances by other famous musicians, and on Enslaved this once again proves to be the case as Dez Fafara of Devildriver sings on the track "Redemption Of Man By God," while Travis Ryan of Cattle Decapitation appears on the surprisingly Death Metal influenced lead single `World Scum.'

Overall, Enslaved is a strong, well written and immaculately produced album by a confident and mature band. The direction is dark, precise and heavy modern metal music with a lot of shredding, a lot of speed and no messing around. If your favourite Soulfly albums were the first two and you don't usually enjoy any Thrash or Extreme Metal then it might not be what you wanted, but if you have enjoyed the direction that the band have been heading in for the last three or four albums then you will be happy to find them charging further down that path and sounding good doing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonus Tracks needed for EVERYONE, 19 Mar 2012
Lynn Zimmer "cd-addict" (Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
First off, there isn't any band Max currently belongs in or belonged in that I'm not a huge fan of. That said, I believe this to be one of the best Soulfly titles to date. I ordered it via Amazon UK for the bonus tracks (not available in the U.S. where I reside). Compliments to Amazon UK for getting this to me so quickly but it's still disappointing that Soulfly didn't make bonus tracks available in every format to all countries. Japan, has it's own special bonus track as well (Downstroy [Live in Poland]) along with two of the three here [Slave and Soulfly VIII]. I just hope there isn't a re-release pending with even more tracks and the ever-so-popular live DVD - although I'll be first in line to re-purchase it. Oh well...back to the primitive!Enslaved (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Silvio Garcia (Blairgowrie, Scotland) - See all my reviews
love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy S***, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Enslaved (Audio CD)
I admit it,
I lost my metal taste for a brief period.
I went travelling for 3 months earlier this year. I put loads of music on my ipod before I went as I wanted to discover new albums I hadn't listened to.
In this mass music collection I loaded in loads of Metal that I loved and got new albums of my fav bands i.e. Soulfly Deftones Sepultura etc
My rediscovery of Soulfly came after listening to Omen.
I already loved Soulfly, Primitive and the okish 3
Tracks from Omen like Rise of the Fallen, Kingdom, Lethal Injection made me realise how much I had missed Soulfly.
So I listened to the other albums Prophecy, Dark Ages, Conquer all awesome but then....
I discovered Soulfly's new album enslaved (How the F did I not know this was out sooner!)
I first discovered listening to Enslaved on You tube through the video 'World Scum' which I immediately loved. It sounded more brutal than the old Soulfly I'd know.
Then I listened to the whole album, the first play through there were rifts and some tracks I thought were OK.
Then I listened again and again and again.
In my Ipod in the gym in my car.
The album is outstanding!
My Fav tracks are of course 'World Scum', 'Gladiator' 'Legions' + 'Chains'
If you've not listened to the album, then do

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 1 Feb 2013
Great album.
+ lyrics exposing modern society of corruption
+ thrash perfection with death and even black metal parts
- best songs are the ones of special edition

Well done max.Give us more

4.0 out of 5 stars Soulfly new album is cool, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
Soulflys new album is pretty cool I am still waiting for the old tribal feeling to come back however until then I rather quite like the Thrash metal style it seems to be taking, I admitedly can't remember the songs of the top of my head very well but I only listened once,so if you are expecting something similar to Omen then you won't be dissappointed, the one thing that annoys me is the booklet has no where to sit in the case some idiot designer forgot to add a little slit for it or something so be aware of that if you buy the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars soulfly enslaved, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
This is an awsome album, a must buy for any metal fan especially fans of Max Cavelera \m/ BUY IT NOW!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Enslaved [Special Edition] (Audio CD)
This album was given to me as a gift and I have to say that since I got it I've listened to it non stop!

I would recommend it to anyone who asked!!

Enslaved [Special Edition]
Enslaved [Special Edition] by Soulfly (Audio CD - 2012)