5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said by someone here? It was absolutely amazing! I've loved the Harry Potter books since I read the first one last spring, but this is my favorite of them so far. The beauty of it, the layers of betrayal and friendship that are slowly peeled away chapter by chapter, are all simply breathtaking.
I started...
Published on 13 Oct 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban was a very good reed I thoroughly enjoyed it, I would get this amazing book.
Published 11 months ago by Pink balloon

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing; the best Harry Potter book yet!, 13 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I started Prisoner of Azkaban one night as I got into bed, planning to read only a few chapters and then sleep. 435 pages and many hours later, watching the sun start to come up, I finally put it down, having finished the entire book. In the process of those 435 pages, I laughed, I gasped in surprise, and believe it or not I cried. The emotions of the characters expressed in this book as, bit by bit, the story of what really happened that Halloween night that Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter, were absolutely perfect.
One of the finest books I've ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable books I've read in ages!, 27 Jan 2003
By A Customer
It took me a while to succumb to Harry Potter fever, but now infected, I never want to be cured! I've seen both the films and enjoyed them so much, I was inspired to start reading the books. I hope any child who picks one up realises that they are reading one of the best, most imaginative, most delightful series of books since C.S Lewis' 'The Chronicles of Narnia' and Enid Blyton's 'The Famous Five'. 'Prisoner of Azkaban' in particular I literally couldn't put down and there is as much, if not more in there to appeal to adults as well as to children. Although slightly darker in tone than the others in the series, it none the less remains wonderful escapism for all ages. A large plus point is that J.K. Rowling doesn't assume prior knowledge of the other preceeding books, and 'Prisoner' is perfectly capable of standing alone - characters, situations and locations are re-introduced and 'what's happened so far' summaries are comprehensive while remaining brief for those who have read the other books - although I feel that anyone who just reads the one is missing out on a treat!
I haven't enjoyed a book so much in ages, and I sincerely hope J.K Rowling never tires of Harry and his friends at Hogwarts!! I certainly shall never tire of reading about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty, brilliant, and fun for all ages masterpiece!!!, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was excellent. The books say ages 8-12, but I, like so many others, am older and enjoying them. This series easily ranks with J.R.R. Tolkein, Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, Philip Pullman, and Lewis Carroll. The stories have great, twisting plot lines and this new one especially had a more mature thread to it. J.K. Rowling has a knack for bringing her characters to life-I often find myself wishing that I could jump into the book to slap Malfoy, Snape, or the Dursleys. The rivalries are great fun. I see trouble brewing between Cho Chang and Ginny Weasley. I wish that I weren't a Muggle and could experience Hogsmeade, Quidditch, Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley.
I hadn't heard of the series until June when my 11 year old brother got the first one. I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but now I have read all three. I read "HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban from 2 AM to 2 AM the next day. Since I read them all in the span of a month, it is now a shock to have to wait a year for the next one. Thank you Ms. Rowling for giving me an excellent excuse not to read my summer reading books yet.
Mischief Managed

5.0 out of 5 stars A "wizard" experience!, 30 July 1999
By A Customer
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is the third in the Harry Potter series and is certainly as good as the others! Harry Potter is a wizard in his third year at Hogwarts School of witchcraft and wizardry. Here start his adventures with his best friends, Ron and Hermione. J.K. Rowling sends the reader into a rollercoaster fantasy ride through the depths of magic and wizardry. All of which is exceedingly believable. Her imagination is amazing, as the wizarding jargon is so believable that I almost found myself referring to my family as 'muggles' and my pets as 'animagis!' A book for people of all ages (not just for kids) and is a must for all people who originally didn't care much for fantasy books. I didn't get caught up in the Star Wars hype, but I am certainly hooked on Harry Potter's adventures! It is definitely hard not to get swept up in Harry's escapades, so why not give it a read?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The fourth book effortlessly becomes my reason for living., 29 July 1999
By A Customer
If I wanted to compare any of the Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' books with anything, the Harry Potter series would be the undisputed comparison. With the 'good v. evil' element, Rowling manages to fulfill the reader's expectations, desires, and hopes at what will hapen later. The reader almost seems to control the story, as the bullies get thwarted, the teachers get one-in-the-eye, and the heros are dragged along, still coming out on top. Excellent. But Rowling doesn't stop there. She grabs the story at the end, and easily twists it, indicating she was in control the whole time. I'm trying not to ruin the story here, but I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and the second book, as well, so by the time I got to The Prisoner I thought i was ready for the now expected twist at the end. How wrong I was. And, once you know the ending, it makes a brilliant second-read, because you spot all the little clues that you didn't notice before. Enough said. The Prisoner of Azkaban has kept me up an entire night, while I yelled out loud, applauded, and laughed at the great main characters and Rowling's mastery of the plot. Some good jokes as well, even if a 14-year-old isn't strictly allowed to laugh at 'childish' jokes. (street cred', doncha know). Blow that; I love it. Without doubt, the best series on the planet, and i mean it. While the country, and indeed, it seems, the world, holds it's breath as Miss Rowling completes the next four books, I feel in no state to start handing out advice to her. But I think I speak for most when I say keep at it, and don't do anything dangerous. Please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best!!!, 26 Mar 2006
In my humble opinion POA is J.K's best so far. I think it's something to do with the characters, i love Sirius and lupin they make the book and the look into Harry's family history and his parents school life is as interesting and exciting as Harry's own.
Although not as long as the later books this is just as clever and sinister but maintains the magic and richness of the first two. What 4,5 and 6 miss in the way of Hogwarts tradition like the Halloween feast, quidditch or Christmas at Hogwarts book three keeps as well as giving us a more complex and shocking story paving the way for future plots and climaxing the expectations and rumors of the whole story line.
The whole books built on suspense and forces you to think and guess at it's conclusion and when you get to the conclusion it's more shocking and exciting than you ever imagined, and any minor part of the story that you did manage to guess leaves you feeling ridicously smug for the est of the day.
Every one should read Harry potter and even those who didn't get blown away by 1 and 2 will by the POA and will have no choice but to buy the entire box set.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Surprising and Revealing One in the Series..., 21 Nov 2003
In this third installment to the Harry Potter series, lies more danger, more thrills, and new revelations that will change Young Harry's life forever.
Now in his third year at Hogwarts, Harry is now a teenager who is shaping to be a great wizard with potential. He's brave, caring, courageous.... but he always ends up being involved in some kind of trouble. This year is no different. A prisoner known as Sirius Black has escaped from the wizard prison, Azkaban. And it is said that he is after Potter, for the dementors, (vicious hooded prison guards capable of terrible and horrible things), heard Sirius saying "He's at Hogwarts... he's at Hogwarts," in his sleep. With Black loose, Harry is not safe and is about to find out just how much more of his past has been left in the dark. Secrets will be revealed, revelations will show themselves, and Harry's life will never be the same again.
I would've never expected myself to become a fan of the Harry Potter series, but I think they are very well written books with great creativeness and imagination that can appeal to both children and adults. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" proves to be even better than the first two books. In fact, I have to say that so far this is my favourite one. (I have read up to the fourth one as of now and have started the fifth.) It's more darker and intended for older readers. (That doesn't mean little kids won't enjoy it as well. I just like the fact how each book gets more and more intended for older readers.)
J.K. Rowling is a fabulous writer. She takes on the genera of fantasy head on, and just when you think she cannot outdo herself any further, she surprises you once again. The books may be getting longer, but once you start reading them you don't want to stop until the very end. You say to yourself you'll only read one more chapter, and it turns to be ten chapters instead. That is the sign of a great writer. If you don't want to put the book down for a second, then the author has done his or her job. Rowling does more than get the job done, she works overtime and goes to great lengths to give her readers satisfaction.
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" is by far my favourite Potter book. There was nothing boring or wordy about it. It was just right, and then some. It's going to be hard to top this one, but knowing Rowling, she'll probably surprise me once again. I have finished the fourth one awhile back, and it was ALMOST as good as this one, but I still think the third book's the best. This is a great read for all ages. I was very surprised and amazed. Expect the unexpected with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in the series, 22 Jun 2003
I have just said how much I really did not like The Chamber Of Secrets. Well now I am going to tell you how much I enjoyed The Prisoner Of Azkaban. This is probably one of Joanne Rowling's greatest achievements. It was as if she had got herself together and was really ready to write a major masterpiece. For that was what ended up being the final piece: nothing short of a masterpiece.
In this books, we still get the angry times when we see Harry bullied by the likes of his family and Malfoy. We also see him go through tense and scary situations: when he has just left his family and notices a black dog in a dark alleyway and also when he thinks he is going to get expelled.
This books introduces the nightmarish Dementors that really do live up to their name. There is nobody like them. They are horrible, disgusting, dangerous and evil. As we go through the novel, Harry learns to fight tese gruesome beings from Hell (as that is what Azkaban is really like). We travel with harry through the book as he realises that the person who was meant to be the most trusted person in the world to him - his godfather - is really after him and he is the prisoner of Azkaban.
In this novel, we learn a lot of things and we learn that Harry really is made of stronger stuff then people actually think he is. It was an utter joy to read this novel and I know that loads of people think the same. There is nothing better then picking up this book and reading it. I keep going back to this novel and never tire of reading it. When I get to the end, I am so excited because I just read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry leaves no prisoners in Azkaban!, 26 Jun 2000
By A Customer
Wow! Super! Fantastic! Add suspense, humor, intrigue, and more than a little human relationship--and you have Book 3 in J.K. Rowling's very successful Harry Potter series, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban." And whatever it takes to create a mega-success, well, Jo Rowling certainly has it. The series doesn't even think of slowing down!
Back for his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry, Harry is thankful that his summer is over. Again, he's had to endure the miserable conditions of the Dursleys, his foster family. (And this time, Aunt Marge descends on the family which creates even another crisis! Harry breaks a Hogwarts rule--not to use his magic during summer recess--causing Aunt Marge to blow up like a balloon!)
The plot thickens, when Sirius Black escapes from Azkaban. Black was involved with the murder of Harry's Parents and is now eager to extract some revenge on the young Potter for his part in thwarting resident "baddie" Lord Voldemort. At Hogwarts, guards (the Dementors) from Azkaban have been sent to get Black. (And we learn why wizards live in fear of Azkaban!)
The story gets complicated! But in an exciting sense, of course! Harry continues his Quidditch play--certainly a game for all time! And with pals Ron and Hermione (and the rest of the gang we've come to know so well), how can the story fail! Literally millions of readers--one suspects that a great percentage are adult readers! --have become quite intrigued with the Rowling adventures, with the whole literary world (not to mention book sellers!) awaiting for Book 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars J.K.Rowling sets a new standard in literature..., 25 Sep 1999
Jo. (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Hello world! As an educator with hundreds of "children's" books in my own personal library and a specialist certificate in children's literature I am amazed and excited to have read these books. Ms. Rowling has a gift for creating a world so detailed and real you're sure of its existance and want to be there. Her characters are colorful and full of life AND are not perfect or pristine or mawkish. The plots of Harry Potter's adventures are as complex and intense as modern writers such as Anne Rice and classic authors such as the Bronte sisters or, dare I say, Shakespeare, with humor like that of Twain. She writes and conveys powerful yet subtle concepts with a passion and ferver rarely found in literature even for adults. Her classic and timeless battle of good and evil will stand the test of time revealing these books to be longlasting in theme and idea. Ron, Harry and Hermione are true friends through good and bad times, through trouble (even if they caused the trouble...) and triumph. They probelm solve in an intellegent and thoughtful way not found in stories or the general media. Hermione, especially, shows that a girl can be smart, studious and clever without being a "beauty". A fine example for young girls everywhere. I look forward to reading the next four installments of these magnificiant works of "art literature". You do not merely "read" these literary treasures, you experience and feel them. Cherish and revel your time with these outstanding books and treasure them always.