4.0 out of 5 stars Night Prowler book 1
Published on 7 Jun 2012 by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

If you loved every second of the Twilight saga, then stop reading this review immediately and go click on the `Add to Basket' button. If I know you, please let me know that you have done this, so I can cut all ties with you and publicly ostracise you.

Published 23 months ago by Scorch

4.0 out of 5 stars Night Prowler book 1, 7 Jun 2012
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jenna has spent her whole life on the run but was never really told what she was running from. Her father vanished when she was a young child and since her mother's death all she has wanted is to settle down and find somewhere to call home. When the mysterious Leander arrives on scene she knows she should be hiding from him but he promises to answer her questions about her family and the strange abilities that she has had since childhood. Can she trust this stranger or should she have listened to the warnings her parents gave her? Now she is trapped in his world and told that she must obey the rules of the Ikati but can she find a way to be free?

I read a lot of paranormal romance stories and love coming across different shape shifters so I was very keen to read J.T. Geissinger's debut novel. Although I have come across cat shifters before I was very pleased that the author has put her own spin on things and Shadow's Edge is the start of a promising new series. I really loved finding out about the history of the Ikati who have links back to ancient Egypt when cats were worshipped as gods. Also as a Brit I loved the fact that the Ikati compound is hidden away in the New Forest - I'm sure anyone who has ever been there would have no problem with the idea that a secret community is hidden deep in the forest where no one ever ventures. It's nice to read a story set in the UK that doesn't focus on London and instead takes you out into the countryside and I felt the author did a great job of describing the area for us.

I don't want to give too much away about the story so I'm not going to go into detail about the abilities that Jenna, Leander and the other Ikati have but I really enjoyed discovering them and I liked the way that everyone seems to have a unique ability alongside the common ones that most of them share. I loved the way the author describes the way they see and smell their surroundings, I don't think I've come across a novel where that much detail is included before (and I don't mean that in a negative way because it never overtook the story - just complimented it).

Jenna was a great character who had a lot of inner strength and although she was completely out of her depth in the world she was dragged into she wasn't going to sit back and accept everything she was told. I appreciated the fact that she stood up for herself, especially against all the male alphas who were trying to control her. Things do develop fairly quickly between her and Leander but because I was able to feel the connection between them I didn't have a problem with that. Leander was everything you'd expect from an alpha male - he is controlling, dominant, pushy and protective of his family and his pack. However, he also knew when to back off and give Jenna some space and towards the end of the book he showed his true worth by letting her take control of the situation.

Shadow's Edge was a great start to the series and an impressive debut from J.T. Geissinger. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Ikati and I'll be first in the queue to pick up a copy of Edge of Oblivion when it is released later this year. Recommended for paranormal romance fans who are looking for cat shifters with a difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Three parts angst, one part misunderstanding, one part yada yada, 30 July 2012
This review is from: Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel) (Kindle Edition)

If, however, like me you were living in constant hope that the immensely irritating lead character would die very, very soon in some very, very painful way, then you should probably avoid this book like the last kebab in the shop at closing time.

The book could have made a decent short story, but removing the long-winded and incredibly repetitive descriptions of the main protagonists' incredible beauty and perfection, and the tedious playground-level misunderstandings would have left the author with maybe one chapter's worth of material where anything actually happens.

There seems to be a formula to these types of books nowadays. Take one lonely girl / woman with amazing latent powers, who has no inkling of how amazingly beautiful she really is. Throw in an incredibly attractive boy / man with superpowers of some description, and then have the girl / woman simper along through the whole book not actually doing anything, but constantly having to be rescued by the aforementioned Captain Awesome.

There should probably be some other amazing boy / man who also likes the girl / woman, which will allow the writer to ramp up the `love triangle' angle.
Make sure that the girl / woman is appropriately laden with angst and guilt and confusion and a constant `he loves me, he loves me not' series of (really pathetic and annoying) misunderstandings so that neither party knows the other is totally in love with them.

Gradually let the girl / woman start to exhibit some of her latent powers, to everybody's great amazement. Near the end of the story, make sure she does something amazing so everyone can stand around and go, "Holy crispy crap! Did you see that? She must be... `The One'!"

Have all the misunderstandings cleared up in the last few pages so they can go off and live happily ever after - or until the sequel, when more annoying stuff happens.

Rest assured, I will be far more wary of new books recommended to me by Amazon. I've been caught out far too often lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant start!, 6 Jun 2012
T. Segurado "Ty Segurado" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Jenna is a brave self raised young woman with a passion for wine. That passion is fed by the fact that she can smell every single component of a good wine. With the time her mother's warning to run away from anything suspicious becomes reality when she meets Leander and the members of his clan. She finds herself thrown head down on a extremely macho world were women are merely 'procreating material'. That goes against everything she believes in and besides that she falls deeply in love with Leander, the clan's leader. Through her self discovery and discovery of her past she will have to decide whether or not to trust or to run away from this weird and yet so alike to her. The big thing here is the love story, I'm addicted to them so of course I loved the story. There's lots of details that made up a great plot.
However, I've noticed (please do get someone to correct that before the final edition is made) the bad grammatical errors in Portuguese! I'm Brazilian and reading it was painful! Please do not neglect that piece, including Alejandro's name! Alejandro is a spanish name and we speak Portuguese. In Brazil the name is Alexandre! Besides that, the book is lovely!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Night Prowler" series book 1, 20 May 2012
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The start of a new paranormal romance series, "Shadow's Edge" is a debut novel with the wow factor.

Jenna Moore has been on the run all her life. Now, as she comes close to her 25th birthday she decides to make a stand and confronts the mesmerising strangers who follow her. She discovers that she is only half human and that her shape shifter father broke all Ikati law by marrying her mother and having a child.

Jenna is drawn to the alpha Ikati Leander, yet she finds it difficult to accept him and his people when she uncovers the truth behind the disappearance of her father. But her father's blood runs strong in Jenna and she displays powers most Ikati are unable to wield. The Ikati may insist she obey their laws, but Jenna could be strong enough to start making her own.

The romance is heated between Jenna and Leander, but I found her too much of a swooner for my tastes. Her resolve is easily broken by a heated kiss or touch from Leander, and amid plans to escape she is suddenly ripping his clothes off. The overall pace is quick, the abilities the Ikati display and their history is well conceived and there is escalating drama as Jenna is drawn not only in to the in-house fighting of the Ikati, but also the war with an ancient enemy determined to exterminate the Ikati race. This is a great start and I look forward to exploring this series further when book 2 "Edge of Oblivion" is published later this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has made me pre-order the sequel., 19 July 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was sent a copy of "Shadow's Edge: A Night Prowler Novel" by Amazon vine, and asked to review it. I'd like to say loud & clear that I don't always write a positive review of Vine products, so please believe me when I say this review reflects my genuine feelings about the book.

The book is great!

It's written in the third person which isn't my preferred format but I still felt able to totally "get" the character of the heroine and to engage with the other characters. The male lead, Leander, I thought was going to be a sexist pain in the neck but in fact he isn't sexist, and he certainly isn't a pain in the neck ... there's a love interest between Jenna and Leander but no steamy action, so if that's what you prefer, maybe you'd be a wee bit disappointed in the book. I think it stands by itself and has no need for explicit scenes.

I'm not going to go into the plot because I hate spoilers, but suffice to say the book revolves around Jenna and Leander without going off into byways around the minor characters. We read enough about the secondary characters to have an opinion of them, particularly Morgan, and to look forward to hearing more of them in a sequel, but they aren't absolutely central to the plot.

The story is well crafted, well written, fast paced and with the Ikati's ability to shapeshift explained very well - given that one suspends belief in this type of novel, it's surprisingly easy to believe in!

I found that this was one of those books I didn't want to put down, and when I came to the end I felt as though I was waving friends off into the distance. The story is totally able to stand alone, with the happy ending that I require if a book is going to truly satisfy me (there's enough angst in the world without me wanting to read about it in a novel too!) but the ending also suggests a sequel might be on the cards.... in fact, I've checked & discovered there is a sequel "Edge of Oblivion" due to be released on 2nd October 2012, and I've just pre-ordered it.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all round good read, 29 May 2012
SCS "S.C.S." (Midlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Her writing is poetic, sharp, erotic, and so very emotive.
It is a shifter novel, with an interesting and well thought out history, dating back to ancient Egyptians and of course, with Egyptians, it is based around cats - black panthers, but is actually very different to Rachel Vincent's 'Stray' novels or Kelly Armstrong's novels. There is an originality to a familiar theme that is equally enjoyable to those like myself, who avidly read this genre.
The female protagonist Jenna, in my opinion is extremely likeable and one can only empathise with her loneliness and difficult life. Raised initially by her mother and father, but constantly on the move, she discovers after the disappearance of her devoted father, that she cannot trust anyone. This isolated life is emphasised by her mother's advice of when she feels threatened to run away.
However, when she first encounters Leander she does not run, but decides instead to face him head on. The story unfolds with Jenna finally being given the answers she desires, and also solving the puzzle of her 'otherness'. Geissinger's writing is thoroughly enjoyable, capturing emotions so well. I was so moved by Jenna's memories of her father and the deep loss she feels. Jenna's response to Leander and the pack she becomes part of is understandable too; her fear of becoming involved, of opening up and letting anyone close, pitted against her attraction to the man who is tied so closely to her, is portrayed so well within Geissingers writing. Her descriptions have such a sensual depth to them, employing sight and scent, taste and tactile experiences beautifully. It is of course an adult novel, however although her writing is erotic, it is not erotica, it fits with the characters and does not actually rule the novel, the plot and characters definitely rule here and I look forward getting to know them better and to reading the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shadows Edge, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Excellent. Really enjoyed this book, read in one day as I couldn't put it down. Just about to download the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting, 29 July 2013
V. Oates (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel) (Kindle Edition)
could not put this book down, bit raunchy but a good plot! enjoyed reading this series immensely, I want more books in the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Prowler # 1., 16 July 2012
This review is from: Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel) (Kindle Edition)
What a great read! This book kept me up very long last night. I love shapeshifters. Especially cats. The Ikati shapeshifters introduced in this book can shift into thin air / vapor or into panthers. I loved that idea right away. I also loved the setting in the dark and foggy forests of England. The chemistry between Jenna and Leander is amazing and the dialogues are a lot of fun. Jenna is not too fond of the Ikati lifestyle and rules and she doesn't hold back with her opinion at all... that way she puts herself more than one time into grave danger...
All in all a great paranormal romance with a lot of suspense. I would recommend this book for fans of paranormal romances like Lori Handeland's night creature series.

"Shadow's Edge' is the first book in the Night Prowler series. The second book "Night of Oblivion" will be out in October this year and is already on my wishlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite book, 11 July 2012
This review is from: Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Couldnt put this book down from the moment i opened it. Adored reading it and im not a big reader. A mix between Harry Potter and Twilight but more tapered towards and older audience due to some steamy sexy moments.
I got totally wrapped up in the story and have recommended it to everyone.
Gutted that the next one isnt out till October but have already pre-ordered it!

Shadow's Edge (A Night Prowler Novel)
3.49