on 7 January 2012
Containment is the second book that I bought for mere pence from the Kindle store. The description of the book sounded interesting enough, so I thought I'd give it a go. The sci-fi genre has no shortage of stories like this, and whilst the setting of Containment can't be called generic, equally it doesn't tread new ground for the genre either. However, Cantrell does an excellent job of building up an image of the colony and engaging the reader with the plight of the colonists. The main focus of the book is Arik himself, but the peripheral characters are detailed just enough to give a sense of the society and culture that exists within the colony.

The plot itself progresses at a decent enough pace, with Cantrell cleverly jumping between different time periods to the reader interested and engaged. There is some sense of mystery and tension from the outset, and this is maintained until the plot becomes more hard hitting later on.

The book isn't perfect. Cantrell favours significant passages where he describes science and technology, and whilst this fits in well in the initial portions of the book, I felt it was over used towards the end, to the point where the pace of the final 10% or so of the book felt a bit laboured, albeit the ending itself was satisfying enough.

Overall though this is well worth a read for fans of the genre, and may even ensnare the odd newcomer. I was debating with myself whether to award this three or four stars, and I think ultimately I would have given it three and a half if I could. But the well constructed setting and largely engaging plot makes it worth rounding up for me, so four stars it is.
on 14 December 2014
My review of this is quite late, I read the text some time ago. It kept me guessing quite a way in, but when I clicked the plot unravelled for me and I was a little disappointed. Very much like The Island with Ewan McGregor and Scarlet Johansson, once the curtain is raised you wander what the point is?
on 14 February 2012
I picked this book on Kindle for the pricey sum of zero, but I've learnt to be sceptical about freebie books as I've downloaded several stinkers.

The plot immediately seemed to my tastes, it's science fiction about man colonising the solar system. The characters are likeable from the outset and the story is well set up, you get a real sense of the surroundings they endure every day. The writing is smooth and I found myself drawn into the story much more than I was expecting.

The plot moves along quite slowly at first and after dropping the slightest of hints through the story, the twist is excellent and really draws everything together well, I wont give it away!

Overall the book isn't a large investment even now the price has been restored. It's well written, feels plausible within context (obviously I know living on Venus isn't) and engages the reader. There are plot aspects which felt a little left open, and as a sequel doesn't feel likely they'll remain so. Well worth a read!
on 12 September 2011
I thought this book was quite an interesting read.

In places the author did dwell too much on the technical aspects of things, going into intricate details, whereas in other areas of the book where you wanted that extra detail it was missing.

I also found the way the story moved forward at the end of chapters a little bit annoying, you would find yourself reading a part of the book and it would be compelling reading, then the chapter would end, that bit was left I think with a lot more depth and explanation to explore, but we had moved on.

That said the overall concept of the book was good, and I thorougly enjoyed the story.

JC
on 8 August 2011
I liked this book.

The storyline is quite good and the main characters are well developed. There is a 'plot twist' which you will either see coming or not. I would like to say that I did but I'd be fibbing.

Some of the technical descriptions are unneccessarily long winded and don't help the story to flow smoothly, and some of the dialogue is stilted, but the storyline itself is well thought out and moves along quite nicely. And I got to like the main character and his motivations by the end of the book, though I'm a sucker for this so don't read too much into it.

I'd definitely recommend this book at less than 50p.
on 25 January 2012
You can always delete a cheap book on Kindle if it turns out to be rubbish, but this book wasn't. It starts out as one thing and then changes into something else when you are least expecting it. It questions what the reader perceives as madness and fanaticism. If people are brainwashed from birth into believing a falsehood, how can one person convince them of the truth? This book is far more than science fiction, it is a real play on human emotion and certainly worth a read.
on 6 May 2012
...but I found the style frustrating. There are some interesting issues being explored and the plot twists effectively ..so why did i feel somewhat pissed off? As others point out 'information dumps' are boring, and some of the issues almost cliched. Besides that, I couldn't warm to/feel involved with the characters. Maybe more suited to teenagers just starting to read Sci Fi
on 15 July 2011
Like a lot of other reviewers I thought there was far too much "technobabble" in this novel. The author often shoves long explanations of fantastical advances in science into the story which ultimately add nothing to the plot. I think you would have to be a fervent fan of sci-fi to rave about this book. It doesn't really get interesting until about two-thirds into the story. The ending is not too bad, if a little predictable, so I gave this book three stars. If you liked the BBC drama "Outcasts" you should like this.
on 5 June 2012
Containment story can be worked out quite quickly if you have seen enough Science Fiction on TV. The premise of self-sufficient colony on Venus is has some plausibility for the first few pages, but in technology base eco-system that would require to sustain the colony without massive resources from Earth and/or industrial base which does happen hence the story does hang together. I found the tech- dumping of information becomes as bit boring and page flicking becomes quite an effort. I not would recommend a serious read, but OK for boat, plane type of book.
on 12 September 2011
I stumbled across this whilst looking for something new in the sci-fi genre. There are some great ideas in the book and it's nicely paced and structured. I was a bit disappointed that it ended so abruptly but I guess there's the possibility for a sequel. Can't complain at 49 pence. Fantastic value for money.