5.0 out of 5 stars Going Back
This is an excellent book especially for those people who are in my age bracket 65ish It takes me back to my childhood with so much accuracy.In fact if you close your eyes you could almost be there again.I used to live in Gough Road just off Bristol Street and can relate to all of the incidents.Happy days very good read would recommend it to everyone
Published on 26 Sep 2010 by crinkley 65

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading
Started off very good and reminded me of all the old times ..the community, humour and living conditions but drifted towards the end and I found it hard to keep the concentration. All in all it is still a good read.
Published 2 months ago by caggar

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Back, 26 Sep 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A PROPER BRUMMIE, 8 May 2009
Mrs. Gillian D. Plant (Lichfield UK) - See all my reviews
I was born in Birmingham in a back to back house. I have read several books of this type and wondered whether the author really did live in Birmingham but this book left me in no doubt. He really did. Some of the things he writes about struck such a chord with me that they made me laugh out loud. He bought back things I had long forgotten about. All in all, an excellent book and the author is (as we say in Brummagem) a bostin' storyteller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of memories of the past, 9 April 2010
Ms. F. Gibbs (U.k) - See all my reviews
I brought this book for my Grandmother and she loved it. For her, it reminded her of the happy and eventful childhood she had. Many of the stories she could relate to even though she had grown up in another area of Birmingham. This is definitely a good read for people who want to relate and even laugh at their family life if they were children or adults of this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 9 Mar 2009
This is such a funny book. Graham Twist mixes laughter with sadness in such a clever way. I can highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Author obviously knows what it was like, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood (Kindle Edition)
The simple direct language makes this book very accessible. I grew up at "6 back of 155 Tennant Street Birmingham" (I think it's a car park now). So I remember only too well what it was like (awful). However, reading this book was like time-travel for me. I can turn the pages and be reminded of my past (rose tinted maybe) in the safety and security of where I find myself now. One of those books that immerse you completely in the story and surroundings a great read. For this reason I give this 5 stars and a big thank you to Graham Twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars My home town., 29 Mar 2013
Mr. Keith Harris (Cornwall, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood (Kindle Edition)
I had walked along many of these streets on my way to college in my apprentice days.
This book sets the development of Birmingham in its historical context.
A delightfully easy read, that every Brummie should enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book - A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood, 30 Jan 2009
Mrs. C. L. Davenport (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent book bought as a xmas present for my Dad, he said he cant put it down!

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 30 Jun 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 3 Feb 2014
Being a Birmingham born man I am interested in the social history of the area, particularly the industrial aspects. I liked the style though I have to admit that the scope was somewhat narrow. The illustrations were very good and filled out the volume quite adequately.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood (Kindle Edition)
Well this book was interesting and I should imagine if you live or lived in the area you would find it more so. It was a pleasant and easy read but a disappointing end.

A Birmingham Backstreet Boyhood