5.0 out of 5 stars Dance music as it was played in the 1950s
This was the next CD to be released by Mike Dutton's Vocalion label featuring the John Wilson Orchestra after his successful Orchestral Jazz release. There are 20 tracks on the CD played in arrangements by one of Britain's top dance bands of the 1930s and 1940s, Geraldo.
Published on 30 Sep 2012 by Dr. H. A. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Shall We Dance - Disappointing
Published on 10 Feb 2011 by Michael Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance music as it was played in the 1950s, 30 Sep 2012
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
Geraldo was the exotic sounding stage name of bandleader Gerald Bright, born in London. One of Geraldo's key arrangers was the young Wally Stott who eventually formed a band of his own in England. Stott later emigrated to America and became known as an arranger under the name of Angela Morley, though only one of the arrangements here is hers. Most of the other tracks are arranged by Alan Roper, with other tunes arranged by Reg Owen, Roland Shaw and Johnny Keating - all names familiar to those of us who are old enough to have listened to and danced to this music the first time around! This is dance music at its best - the sort of music teenagers danced to for several decades until the emergence of rock-and-roll in the 1960s. Wilson has also recorded two more CDs of Angela Morley arrangements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 16 Jun 2010
A. Devlin "anndev" (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
This collection of favourites directed by John Wilson and played so beautifully has fast become one of my most played CDs. Wonderful dance tunes. I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great CD., 20 April 2012
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
This is a great CD, with good quality sound reproduction. As an elderly gentleman who well remembers hearing (and seeing live) Geraldo in the 1950s, it is a lovely experience to hear again a 'big band' lineup of wind and brass, backed by the steady beat of a rhythm section which includes a proper string bass. My only (slight) reservation is with the guitar, which doesn't quite seem to have the 'punch' I would prefer. I know Geraldo's Ivor Mairants is a tough one to follow - his clever and imaginative playing was, for me, always the highlight of any Geraldo performance. Still, I guess we can't always have everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars shall we dance john wilson orchestra, 25 May 2009
V. B. Merrick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
This cd is for anyone who likes good music by a brilliant orchestra.I cant recommended this cd enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could have danced all night, 7 Feb 2014
J. M. Cutler (Cotswolds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
John Wilson uses hand-picked classical and jazz musicians to produce a glorious sound. Hugely enjoyable music in outstanding performances. Buy it now!

3.0 out of 5 stars Shall We Dance - Disappointing, 10 Feb 2011
Michael Robertson (Woking, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
Hello. I first heard- and saw - the John Wilson Orchestra last Christmas when 'A Swingin' Christmas' was aired by BBC/TV. The hall was too vast for the orchetra but I detrermined to trial one of their CD's. Well, the playing is naturally immaculate, but in my humble opinion (I was once a studio engineer) the whole of ''Shall We Dance' lacks overall drive and presence. OK, the arrangements aren't supposed to be all that up-to-date, but the rhythm section sounds as if they'd been left to play outside in the reception area. This is a great pity because hearing a recording such as this should immediately bring a smile to your face - and get the feet tapping. Superb playing, but poor, clinical balance and lack-lustre sound. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 April 2013
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
Bought as a gift for my parents who loved it and can remember dancing to Geraldo so were very good judges.A good variety of songs in fact I liked it so much I shall buy a copy for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wilson Magic, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
Beautifully arranged and performed as we have come to expect from John Wilson et al. Great music for anyone from a great era of 'proper' tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good songs because they say a lot!, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: Shall We Dance? (Audio CD)
My favorite song is since being in a lot.
What you like should be on many dislikes are few.
I recommend to friends and acquaintances many.

5.0 out of 5 stars More of John Wilson please, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Shall We Dance? Big Band Arrangements of Geraldo (MP3 Download)
The Music of yesterday is brought up to date with the style and quality of John Wilson. The music is first class and we do not hear enough of this kind of music on TV or radio.

Shall We Dance? Big Band Arrangements of Geraldo