on 5 October 2006
The playing and the outstanding Paul Weston arrangements performed by John Wilson and His Orchestra on this CD is a must for those who like to hear music played really well (and no vocals). Paul Weston's son was involved in going through his father's arrangements with John Wilson. I own most of Paul Weston's recordings,and listening to John Wilson's interpretations of Paul's music is uncanny,you can't tell the difference apart from the modern recording.Buy it and you won't be disappointed.John Wilson has also recorded a CD of Geraldo's arrangements,this also is worth listening to. If you ever get the chance to see John Wilson giving a live performance with an orchestra make the effort to go you will really enjoy it. I am lucky as he appears quite regularly with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, he has a great personality.
Tony R.
on 9 May 2009
This CD is one of my favourites and I already have a collection of good music. John Wilson is a genius at recreating good arrangements of fine tunes and making more of them. Paul Weston gave us this treasure and John Wilson and his Orchestra have made them great. I can put it on the CD player and let it repeat all day... I am so glad I discovered this. You should too.
on 2 December 2009
this is music at its best. the john wilson orchestra
is second to none in this day and age. if you (like me)
are fed up with the junk the purports to be music today
buy this cd and re-live the golden ages past of "proper"
music. - similar cd by same orchestra is "the arrangements
of "geraldo" - a first class music experience. this is a young
leader with a vast knowledge of music recently seen on bbc
in an extravanganza of music from the musicals. great stuff.
buy and enjoy...
This CD is a real treat for those who love the sound of either the John Wilson Orchestra or Paul Weston. Paul's son Tim brought these arrangements of his father's to John Wilson so that the lovely evergreen melodies could be recorded in stereo with a much bigger orchestra than Paul could muster for the recordings. And what a treat it is! Paul Weston often used to emphasize a particular instrumentalist in his arrangements against the orchestral background, and John Wilson's orchestra has done the same. The arrangements here are unmistakably those of Paul Weston but given the crisp modern John Wilson sound. Thanks to Michael Dutton at Vocalion (a Dutton Laboratories label) there are nearly 70 minutes of romantic music here from 23 tunes that most listeners of that era will know.
on 13 April 2013
For those of us of a certain age (!), arranger Paul Weston produced some excellent musical arrangements to back the artists of the day. John Wilsons recreations are superb. The mix of the seductive string section with a full swing band is absolutely right and should bring up the goose bumps on all enthusiasts of the genre. An excellent purchase.
on 25 December 2012
I have just received this as a Christmas present and it was perfect opening Christmas present music! I shall enjoy listening to this again and again I think. I saw John Wilson on tv when he was at the Proms and have become a fan - so lovely to see the huge enjoyment of the orchestra under his leadership, it made watching such a pleasure.
on 18 January 2014
Absolutely love this CD. Like the music of John Wilson and his arrangements. Saw him at a live concert, brilliant. Recommend this to anyone who likes orchestral music.
on 15 September 2014
Brilliant C.D.wonderful music and arrangements by John Wilson. Takes me back when he was on Americian T.V. shows and would play for the different stars.
on 21 August 2014
I love John Wilson's work, but this album is sleep inducing I'm afraid. For me at least, it conveys none of his wonderful energy and commitment.
on 20 November 2013
These orchestrations take me back 40 years! I recommend it to anyone who likes easy listening music that's brilliantly performed.