5.0 out of 5 stars She knows her onions - and everything else
If you're thinking about buying this book, just buy it. I can't say enough good things about it. Since my husband purchased it a few years ago, we've made several dishes from it and each one has been great. It contains a very generous number of recipes, so it's incredibly good value. It has all the old Italian classics - including the last word in ragù - plus...
Published on 3 Mar. 2013 by LittleChaffinch

3.0 out of 5 stars Book not suitable for Kindle
Love Marcella Hazan's books, but wouldn't advise anyone to buy it on KIndle. Cookery books on Kindle are fine if they have few recipes, the recipes are short, and/or the recipes are listed in the Contents section. None of this applies to The Essentials of Italian Cooking, so that you'll spend ages trying to locate a recipe. The Index at the end is also very badly laid...
Published 5 months ago by Margaret Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Authentic cooking for pleasure, 16 Nov. 2012
This is a great book, simple, interesting and authentic. It is a pleasure to use something thats based on true traditional cooking.
I love the additional information on the origins and uses of ingredients and the straight forward explanations.
It was delivered promptly, in good condition and is great value for anyone interested in genuine Italian cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift!, 23 Sept. 2013
I bought this book as a gift for my parents after travelling to Italy. They were thrilled with it. The book has beautiful pages and is 'homely' and provides useful information to your average brit on how to source the best quality balsamic vinegar and some fabulous recipes. Tempted by how great this looks in their kitchen, I'm looking to purchase a copy for myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice addition to my Italian cookbook collection., 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Kindle Edition)
Another "must have", which I think is higher rated in the US than elsewhere. It is indeed very comprehensive and the recipes taste very nice. But I do have one complaint: all the dishes have been translated into American terms such as x pasta with y sauce. Can I have the Italian names, please? I understand at the time when this book was first published, not many Americans know much about authentic Italian cooking. But it is a bit annoying when you are trying to search more about a dish but do not have the Italian name to reference to. Just like "silver spoon", this book is more recipe-oriented. To know more about the Italian food culture, Claudia Roden and Elizabeth David's books are better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 May 2014
This review is from: The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Kindle Edition)
A well- written and informative overview of modern Italian cooking, making the most of good ingredients. Helping me to up the game!

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Kindle Edition)
This is a very comprehensive book. It even covers how to prepare and roast chestnuts. In an age when muppet celeb chefs are in the dock - metaphorically at least - it is very refreshing to have a book brimming with genuine Italian recipes that work. There are some minor faults in the Kindle formatting but not enough to irritate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic indeed, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Kindle Edition)
I have used the book almost since it first appeared & it truly is a classic. Maybe it is because I love using the majority of ingredients the Italians use, but I sometimes think this is the book I would take to the mythical desert island! Together with Claudia Roden's "Food of Italy" this supplies most of what one needs for everyday cooking. Remember, this from a Francophile who has, & uses, a large collection of French cookery books but who, with this Kindle edition, will be cutting back on books to take to France next year!

The recent death of this great cook is a sadness, but her "voice" continues to be heard on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Kindle Edition)
Really - everything you need to know. The basic tomato sauce recipe is genius in its simplicity and yields a delicious pasta sauce. It really is a treasure trove of recipes for every occasion, I love it. The emphasis is on the writing, rather than illustrations, if you're after a coffee table book this ins't it; if you're after a cooking book this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I learnt many things like adding milk to a beef bolognese, 29 Dec. 2014
Superb introduction to cooking the regional cusines of Italy, and other detailed information on the recipies. I learnt many things like adding milk to a beef bolognese, which I did not know. An excellent account of all things Italian for the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful Italian Cookery bock., 10 Jan. 2014
We dined with friends on a meal cooked using a recipy
from this book. It was excellent.

We bought this, our own copy of this book for use in our kitchen.

We are delighted with it..

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 11 Oct. 2011
without a doubt, the best Italian cookbook I've encountered to date...recipes are concise and explanations about various dishes and regions are wonderful...also the best Osso Bucco recipe I've tried so far

The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking