4.0 out of 5 stars Good but short
9 year old daughter's review:

I got this book on my kindle as I had nothing to read. I found it a brilliant book but it is way too short. It was only 44 pages long! I read it way to quickly and now need to spend even more money on a longer book. Would be five stars but too short.

I'd recommend the book if you want to finish it quickly. Again...
Published on 1 Jun. 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid, If Uninspired, Entry Level Fantasy/Mystery
MILD SPOILERS. Poppy has found a silver key and a mysterious woman, who may be a witch, wants it and has enlisted a local bully to retrieve it. Chases, suspense and adventure follow. END SPOILERS.

Published 2 months ago by Ancient Mariner

3.0 out of 5 stars A Solid, If Uninspired, Entry Level Fantasy/Mystery, 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Guardian of the Key (A children's book for ages 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) (Kindle Edition)

This is a conventional adventure that has been written in an exciting but plain and straightforward style that would probably suit an early reader. And I mean that in a good way. The set up, two sisters move with their parents to an old house in an out of the way English village, in which the younger sister finds a mysterious silver key, is unexceptional. The events that follow this discovery are equally predictable. The resolution is efficient and just as predictable.

The strength, and the appeal that I see, is that the book is crisply and clearly written. The pace is extremely fast and the plot develops quickly. Vocabulary seems age appropriate. The characters, (sisters, neighbor girl, helpful school mates, understanding adults, parents, bully), are all presented just as you would expect. The action is easy to follow, and the story just barrels along.

There is no irony and no goofing on the genre. There are no odd missteps or weird changes in tone. Descriptions are effective and dialogue is straightforward. There are no red herrings and no confusing shifts in the storytelling to throw off a young reader. The general tone is suspenseful yet upbeat and I would expect it to thrill rather frighten a young reader.

I could see a young reader getting a kick out of this book and feeling a certain sense of satisfaction at having completed it. I could also see it encouraging that reader to develop a taste for more advanced and complex magical adventure tales. That alone seems to make the book worth a look for your younger reader.

Please note that I found this book while browsing kindleunlimited freebies. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but short, 1 Jun. 2012
9 year old daughter's review:

I'd recommend the book if you want to finish it quickly. Again brilliant story.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a gem.., 14 Feb. 2012
A gorgeous little book, had my kids hanging on every word thrice over for an entire weekend in Cornwall.

Highly recommended to young and old!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guardian of the key, 15 July 2014
I chose 5 stars because it is good quality and I would recommend this book to my friend called Fraya oaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guardian of the key!!!!!!, 30 May 2014
AWESOME AS MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am loving this book. It is good for the Sun. (Minecraft is pretty awesome though)awesomeness is cool. I think we should all read this book because of how amazing it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guardian of the key, 10 May 2014
I really like this book it is one of the best books I've ever but it is a bit short apart from that...

I LOVE IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, 21 Feb. 2014
Good book for ones who like adventure stories.

I'd recommend this book for mainly girls but boys might enjoy as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars guardian of the key, 1 Dec. 2013
it was a fantastic book but a bit predictable. amazing vocabulary and excellent descriptions.one of the best books for 9-11 i have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 7 Nov. 2013
Bought this book to see if my kindle works and now I absolutely love it once you pick it up you will not put it down

Such a great fun story that can also be intense

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda, 2 Nov. 2013
This was kinda good kinda bad too babyish and too short I am called Alexandra Lily Pryor and I love Harry potter