on 20 October 2012
I have used the Coolpix range of cameras for a number of years
and each time I have upgraded to a newer version I have never been
disappointed. This holds true for the S9300.
As with all the Coolpix range the S9300 is simple and straight
forward to operate and use but the 18x optical zoom takes it to
another level producing pictures of amazing clarity and detail.
The HD video it takes is also crystal clear and a pleasure to
playback and watch. Another winner from Nikon, highly recommended.
on 20 April 2012
Why three stars you might wonder, well, this camera does take fantastic pictures & the quick video record function works a treat, but the auto-focus leaves something (a lot) to be desired!

It has trouble focusing both in camera & video mode, and can hunt (not quickly) to find what should be a simple focusing task. In bright sunshine or indoors, it really can struggle. I am disappointed with this as I was expecting quite a bit more from a Nikon. Everything else like lens stabilisation etc works like a dream

I have quite a few cameras from D-SLR's to an old basic point & shoot (P&S) which the S9300 was to replace. As I said before, this camera does take fab photo's (when it focuses) & being that its an full auto camera I can for once stop thinking about settings for exposure & shutter settings etc. It is a shame as the camera has some neat photo functions & effects.

I can't trust this camera enough yet & I'm seriously considering sending it back. It's 50 / 50 at the moment. A few more days & I'll make my decision.
44 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2012
I recently bought the Nikon Coolpix S8200, which turned out to be a lovely little gem. I just bought the Nikon Coolpix 9300 thinking it is some sort of a S8200 with 3D, GPS and a better zoom. The dials and functions are more or less equivalent to the S8200, and that's where the similarity ends. The focusing of this camera is turning out to be somewhat of a nightmare, and blurry picture results which negates the 16 megapixel advantage. When it can focus, and I am still trying to find out what are the influencing factors, it does take good pictures. The long zoom works surprisingly well too. I find myself not trusting this camera's focusing ability enough to take it with me on holidays, and seriously thinking about sending it back.
55 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2012
This was purchased as a replacement for my panasonic lumix which i adored. unfortunately the new lumix had not received good reviews so I had to find another camera. this one is a brilliant replacement. it has a fanbtastic zoom, lovely clear photos, a real point and take camera.would recommend it to anyone
on 17 November 2012
Nikon COOLPIX S9300 Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 18x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCDI have just got back from a trip to Morocco where this camera had it's first major work out (av 100 images each day over 14 days )since buying it in August.I am very disappointed. To say that audio quality is poor is an understatement. I have filmed several clips of moroccon musicians and it has recorded the film - which all play at a wierdly fast speed- but has not recorded any audio at all. Very disappointing.

Landscape Panoramas shot on video are all out of focus.

More often than not I have had to press the shutter release button twice to be sure to record an image- having discovered that pictures I had thought I had taken were not being saved. Shutter release is slow- witnessed by the number of times somone who was not in shot when composed- is suddenly in shot.

On the subject of battery consumption - generally even with the GPS off batteries rarely lasted more than 2hrs shooting on 8mp -others travelling with me were taking more pictures on eg panasonic and canon compacts and batteries were lasting a full day. I had discovered that problem before I went away so had bought a spare battery but even so...........

I expected the zoom - to be brilliant but more often than not it not would not focus or got stuck out of focus. I quickly discovered the only solution was to remove the battery and reinsert it. Going through the images I have taken over the last 2 weeks I am having to delete a lot of photos taken when zoomed in or out to the maximum extents- they are too fuzzy to be acceptable. Low-light shots eg in souks are not good.

The viewing screen is not good in bright light as it is very reflective and the reduced contrast in these conditions made it very hard/impossible to view what you are aiming at.When compared the performance I got from with my last compact it is very disappointing.

It also gets quite hot!
on 26 June 2012
Usually Nikon would not be my first choice but I have to say this model is quite impressive. Its packed with features which overall work well and give this camera that extra punch for gadget lovers.

The overall look and feel - Not the slimmest of cameras but its still close, I was used to having a very slim small camera so to most this will be a good size not too bulky. The buttons are easily accessible and are not hard to use. Like most new items it can be hard to get used to navigation but really I didn't find it too bad. The thickness only makes the feel of the build better, not top quality but definitely lasting and a good build.

Ease of use - I found it easy to navigate, easy to take pictures. The battery seems to last a decent amount of time but I tend to take more photos than videos. I think this is great for enthusiasts and beginners, it works well in poorly lit places which is an extra bonus because so many cameras seem to fail here either forcing too much light or collecting too little. The rear screen is a good size and provides good viewing. The battery and SD compartments are easy to get to. Most importantly for those quick pics I think the shutter speed is very good.

The commands - Starting up is about average perhaps a little bit quicker would be nicer but it does not take long so it isn't really an issue. There is a nice selection of commands but I would have liked to see a few more effects available but still a good selection.

The image result - I think it produces lovely quality images. Edges could be sharper but overall excellent images. The zoom is also good still providing high quality pictures from a distance.

Overall a great camera with HD and GPS which produces excellent photos and videos. There is however room for improvement where other top quality models will undoubtably fill these gaps.
on 14 April 2013
It is in fact my second S9300. Both have the same issues:
- The connector to plug the camera to a PC apart from being non-standard is also unreliable. It needs fiddling. With the first camera I had to introduce the connector a certain way to make it working. The new one is much better but still not perfect.
- The GPS is slow, on the first camera absolutely unusable. On the replacement it is much better but it doesn't seam to keep the GPS information on satellites very long in the memory. Say you take a picture, switch off the camera and retake a picture a few metres away within 10 minutes, it will take 30 seconds to re-capture the location at least and if you wait more, you're up for a minute or two. Not good for a camera!
- The picture quality is not great in low light, in fact my old Canon G9 with 12MP is more clever and gets better result.
- You cannot really control the settings which you can with the Canon. Here it's all automatic and that's it.
- The firmware crashes from time to time, forcing you to remove the battery to get the camera working.

The good thing is that it is small, it has the GPS, it takes decent pictures and videos that work on a mac and the price is reasonable but I was expecting much better. A good idea if you buy one is also to buy a separate battery because it runs out easily.
on 28 May 2013
Although there are some nice features of the camera, I am not happy with it.

I wanted something small and light so I do not need to carry by DSLR with me as sometimes it's just too much.
This one is small and light weight, but I am so unhappy with it, that at the end I never take it anywhere.

The lens distortion is significant. Taking a landscape photo is OK, but taking a wide angle photo in a room of people is not. The people who are not in the middle will look weird.

Also the buttons on the back are extremely sensitive, it is a pain when I want to change any settings as it just jumps around in the menu. It is best left alone.

It is a pity, because otherwise the camera has potential.

Also the battery does not last long. I don't have a spare, so I need to keep the GPS off otherwise I would not be able to take any photos in the afternoon.
on 17 May 2012
I'm used to using "proper" 35mm cameras and only bought this really as a pocket camera for holiday snaps. I must say I've been pleasantly surprised at its performance - fast shutter speed when required (eg moving objects), good flash and excellent HD video bursts. AL
on 31 December 2012
Having invested over £2,000 in a Nikon D300, I find myself using the S9300 more and more. Picture quality is excellent and it is small enough to take everywhere ensuring you never miss those spontaneous shots. My only gripe, and one that seems common with all digital cameras, is the delay when hitting the shutter button to when the shutter actually opens.

See one answered question