5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, High Value Compact Camera
I looked long an hard for a quality compact camera and came down to the same usual 3 as the web pundits; Canon S100, Olympus xz-1 and the Nikon P310 (the Lumix L5 being too old and the Sony too expensive).

Published on 11 Aug 2012 by Dee

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken on arrival poor service from Nikon
Really poor service from Nikon. Sent the camera back to be repaired because the screen wasnt working properly and discoloured. Took ages for them to tell us we had to pay £75 for it to be repaired as they deny it is a fault covered under the warranty. Watch out if you ate buying this product we are really disappointed with the service.
Published on 2 July 2012 by Amy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, High Value Compact Camera, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix P310 Digital Camera - Black (16.1MP, 4.2x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)

Most of the web reviews led you to the Canon or the Olympus in favour of the Nikon. I was temped to both for a while. The Olympus has a fast lens across the range but you pay for that in size. It also has, for me, an unnecessary hot shoe (fast lens). This destroys the smooth pocketable lines of a compact camera.

The Canon ticked a lot of the boxes except price; you pay heavily for the larger sensor. On top there is now a big question mark on Canon's quality control with the major lens failure issue. Canon play this down but read the web chatter on this.

I therefore opted for the Nikon P310 and I'm glad I did. OK there's no RAW option but hey I've a SLR with that and never use it. It has a smaller sensor to the Canon and Olympus but the state of the art technology behind it gives excellent results. Another big plus is the high definition rear screen which knocks spots off the others.

So unless you are a die hard RAW user wanting poster sized prints the P310 is the best out there and you're left with up to £100 in your pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 April 2012
I bought this camera as a replacement to my Panasonic G3 pancake lens. Less expensive than the pancake with a camera to boot. F1.8 lens perfect for those evening shots or museum shots were you do not want flash. Colours are vivid and the lens quick enough to prevent blurring. Crisp bright clear shots under low lighting. Perfect camera. Compact in size with all the features of DSLRs of double the price. Well worth a look

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Coolpix P310 compact digital camera., 24 April 2012
As a 'wrinkly' (70+) I am not over enthusiastic about miniaturisation simply for the sake of it, and I was somewhat taken aback by the diminutive size of this device when I prized it out of its box. After about a couple of weeks taking pictures of just about anything I clapped eyes upon (a bit less expensive than my distant romance with 35mm film SLR's etc.,), I can't help admiring the technology that lurks within this modern marvel. Therein lies the secret! My initial scepticism gradually faded when I began to find my way around the menu system and move away from 'Auto' to experiment with the alternative options. This is not to denigrate the camera's point and shoot ability, which is certainly more than adequate, but to simply suggest you cut the jpg file size down to 2 meg and add some sharpness to your photographic efforts. Result:- crisper pictures that look good on a Pc (especially widescreen) and don't get you 'timed out' when you try to share your favourite shots with friends and relatives via email. Still frames from movies - no problem. A choice of colour rendering - just as easy! A great companion morning, noon, and night. All at a discount price from Amazon, whose service proved to be impeccable - as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, pocketable compact., 18 Jan 2013
Previously owned Nikon P5100 which was well specced but slow. Bought as a replacement. Read reviews which criticised relatively small sensor, lack of RAW capture compared with Canon S110 and Lumix LX7. The improvement on the earlier camera is significant. The wide f1.8 aperture and CMOS sensor make for superb low light shots mainly without the need for flash. Flash discreet but gives superb coverage. Only operates when you activate it! Manual controls are a blessing to a creative photogragher. Operation slick and much quicker than my P5100. The quality of the photograghs taken are clear and well resolved. Sensor and RAW debate appears to be fuelled by people who completely miss the point of the camera - it is not a DSLR but is a fine alternative when travelling light or used as a back-up. For the price paid in Dec 2012 -£182, compared with its competitors, I consider this camera to be an outstanding purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Affordable Little PASM Camera; infact, the only really Affordable Little PASM Camera., 28 Jan 2013
What it is: A serious little compact camera with a fast lens, 4x zoom and excellent ergonomics with twin dials plus a PASM mode knob giving you full control over Aperture and Shutter Speed without clicking through in camera menus. Some good bonus features such as Macro and a surprisingly good video mode. Also some in camera filtering effects and control over dynamic range, even does time lapse photography. Has propper mount for tripod, offset so you can still drop the battery out. Clear and sensible context sensitive menu system.

What it isnt: A direct competitor to the other high end compacts (G15, L7, X10 etc). It has too small a sensor which limits the control over depth of field and it can't shoot RAW. You can just get about get some depth of field effects but your background needs to be quite a distance behind your subject. It will however take good pics for websites and hard copies etc. It won't get you on the front cover of National Geographic.

For the price (Circa 150 quid 200 USD) these are becoming good value. They were originally twice this price.

Niggles: No charger, charges in camera.

Who'd want one? Anyone wishing to learn something about digital photography (taking not editing as no RAW) but who does not wish to fork out for a DSLR. Would make an excellent first "serious" camera for an enthusiastic youngster. Anyone who absolutely has to have a pocket-able PASM camera.

Who wouldn't want one? Anyone who just wants Point and Shoot. Anyone who has big and deep pockets and can afford a G15, L7, X10 etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Camera, 14 May 2012
D. Winter "DPW" (London) - See all my reviews
All I was looking for is easy to use point a shoot camera which is an alternative to my Canon 550 digital SLR and which I can give to my wife who has no knowledge of cameras so I have a chance to get on a family picture from time to time. My main use for this camera is family pictures of my small children in areas where it is not very convenient to carry an SLR.

The overall experience is good for a camera in this price range. I find the overall handling of the camera intuitive and the autimatic settings are very straightforward to use. I did not put in the time and effort to work out all the manual setting yet. The quality of the pictures is certainly a good step up from any of my previous digital point and shoot cameras. The display on the back is excellent. The focus is very quick. The HD video does a fairly good job considering the size of the camera. It is certainly better than my phone or my Flip camera.

Although it boots up quickly it is still too slow for most pictures where my kids are involved. By the time I turn it on, the lens comes out and the picture is focussed the kids are miles away again. It is slow compared to my SLR but pretty quick compared to other digital pocket cameras.

The only thing I really dislike is that the flash does not pop up automatically. It would make things much easier if I did not have to remember this every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant small sized camera!, 5 Mar 2013
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have to say that this has turned out to be one of my better purchases.
I use 3 digital cameras, a Digital SLR, this and my iPhone (formerly a Coolpix S210 but the image quality between it and my iPhone are the same so it seemed silly to have that as well).
The SLR is used partly professionally and partly for fun, the P310 is used as a compact camera which can be used for semi serious shots when I don't want the size of the SLR and the iPhone is the camera for casual fun.

Now you understand what I use it for I will explain why it is so brilliant!

It is small and light.
It weight very little but still has a sturdy aluminium frame. It feels solid but without the weight. Having dropped mine a few times it can survive a lot whilst still working just fine.

Video.
I don't do much video but when I have I was really impressed by not only the video footage but the audio quality! I took this to a concert and the recording was brilliant! A nice surprise!

Image quality.

Well the lens is really good which allows you to get the most out of ever pixel! I was really impressed by how well this camera handles both low light and sports situations. It is a testament to how far Nikon have come. I have actually printed an A3 image from this camera - a chance shot where I would have loved to have had my SLR on me but this did almost as well as that would have. Incredible.

Battery.
I find the battery lasts a good amount of time but more importantly it doesn't seem to discharge very quickly. Which is really good because this lives in any bag I happen to be carrying. I always like to have a semi decent camera on me as you never know what you will come across.

All in all this is a brilliant device. It takes some great photos and incorporates a lot of Nikon's core technologies such as Vibration Reduction. It also gives a good amount of manual control which is nice as let's be honest small compacts normally don't get it right all the time. For the money it is a brilliant buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars nikon p310, 7 Nov 2012
best compact camera ever. no need for dslr, does what it says on box.Have nikon d2 and d200,leave these
heavy lumps at home now(still good though) use my p310 easy to use plus cmos sensor fantastic image quality,buy one and enjoy.Good in low light aswell leave tripod at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish camera, great photos, 14 Oct 2012
Really love this camera, am a Nikon fan anyway but wanted a camera that was for weekends away, events etc as have my SLR for the big holiday's & scenery. It's not too small but not too big so fine for a small bag & was great on a recent trip to Paris, wanting something not looking too grand someone might want to nick! Really easy to use, lots of choice on the 'scene' settings and quality of images great. I also love it in white! very cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 9 Aug 2012
M. Aust "Martin" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have had various compacts over the past few years... Lumix; Sony; Canon... all have been good but each has had a little drawback that has led me to seek something a little better.

I believe I have found the camera that is a little better. The fast lens is outstanding, the image quality fantastic, it ticks all the boxes for me!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›