5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate Nonsense - Wonderful
I was surprised by this book. It started off seeming to be yet another fantasy adventure set in a fake medieval world, and I was all ready to think of it as derivative and formulaic. And then boy 412 leapt out of the book, pulled a sardine from under his red beanie hat and slapped my face with it repeatedly until I saw sense. . . Or rather nonsense. A rather delightful...
Published on 27 May 2009 by Sir Furboy

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good read for its target audience
I found the book easy to read and certainly had some clever ideas for the more magical aspects, however, I did find it quite niggling that, as one reviewer has already mentioned there were similarities with Potter that actually could have easily been avoided. For example Jenna's pet rock "Petroc Trelawney" and she actually had a character with a similar name to Weasley...
Published on 18 Sep 2007 by Avid Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fantasy, 4 April 2006
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Paperback)
I loved this book. If you enjoyed the Harry Potters and want to read something similar thats equally good Angie Sage has created a thrilling story that I couldn't put down. I'd reccomend this book for both Adults and Children who like fantasy stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow !!! Fantastic book with funny characters. True Magyk !!!, 22 Jun 2005
C. Wood "Woody" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Hardcover)
This book had me hooked from start to finish, I had bought it for my child but unfortunately for her I read the first page and that was it, she will have to read it next. My other daughter is last in the queue. The characters are excellent. The Heap family are wonderful, I would love to be a part of this family - well I do have green eyes! But it is the other characters such as the Boggart and especially the message rat Stanley that add richness and humour to the story.
JK Rowling needs the watch out, this book may even exceed Harry Potter. I can't wait for the next chapter in Septimus Heap's adventures which I hope will be long and as funny and varied as the first.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable fantasy, 13 April 2005
A. P. Harris (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Hardcover)
This is one of the most satisfying children's fantasy books I've read in a while. The characters are vivid and the mythology is clear and believable. As the first book in a series, I can hardly wait for the following instalments to the story! This is a series to keep your eye on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book but want 2nd on Kindle, 6 Feb 2011
I got this free on my kindle but having read it and thoroughly enjoying it was disappointing that I couldn't get the second book on kindle. I hope they do soon as I want to carry on with the story.
Once I started this book I didn't want to put it down. It's well written and all the characters are great.
I know this is really for children but I can see adults loving it too.
I won't say anything about the story as I don't want to spoil it for others.
I wouldn't have minded paying good money for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved It!, 13 April 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Hardcover)
When I turned ten, my friend gave me this book (he's only just started reading it - he loves it and he HATES books!) as a present. At first, it lay oin the side in the kitchen before I picked it up. As soon as I began, I regretted letting it catch dust. It is a brilliant book, and even though it easy to guess a couple of things straight away (I knew who Boy 412 was when we'd just met him, and Sally didn't die) that doesn't matter because of all the things that can't be guessed. It is not anything like Harry Potter, because of many reasons like in HP females cannot be wizards, and spells are cast using a wand, not charms. I loved all the twists in the plot and amazing detail. Although some spellings were strange, like Maygyk, Physik and Darke I soon got over that and realised that they were differentciating the book from all others. This book is definatly up to or even above J.K. Rowling's standerd, and I cannot believe it hasn't been made into a movie yet! Go on, read it!

There are four sequals at the moment, but one is not out yet (Syren).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Paperback)
I am going to keep this review short and simple... although some would disagree with me, its better than Harry Potter (especially if your the younger generation)
P.s. even if you're not a fan of most fantasy novels, I would still recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Find!, 19 May 2006
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Paperback)
What a pleasure to have stumbled upon Angie Sage. I am the librarian of a small primary school and I have become very wary of Harry Potter clones that are poorly written and unimaginative, but in Septimus Heap, Angie Sage has written an un-put-downable gem. Wonderfully written, full of fun and drama, and clearly very carefully and closely plotted, this book should be held up as one of the finest examples of the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle edition - poor quality and no illustrations, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Magyk: Septimus Heap Book 1 (Kindle Edition)
The book is just plain brilliant. At the end of the first chapter, Septimus Heap is declared dead! That was enough to get me hooked. But Angie Sage is a terrific writer - very funny and very clever. I am hooked, and I'm ... um ... late middle aged.

But this edition of the Kindle book is faulty (I've got five more of the books, and they all appear to be fine). There are several places in Chapter 14 where lines are missing, and I would still like to have it on Kindle, but it doesn't seem to be possible to replace it with an edition that's complete. Also, the wonderful illustrations aren't included in these editions.

So I'm getting a second hand paperback.

Later: I e-mailed Amazon about this book, and they're rectifying the situation. No problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magyk- Angie Sage, 22 Mar 2011
Lucybird (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Paperback)
I was given this book by a fellow Harry Potter fan who described it as the new series he was addicted too. It's taken me a while to get round to actually reading it, partly because despite some of my favourite books being fantasy I'm not a big reader of fantasy as a whole, and partly because I didn't want to compare Magyk to Harry Potter, because I knew it would be pretty hard to meet up. Luckily to compare the two would be quite difficult, apart from tragic beginnings, and similar aged main characters the two have very little in common. Plot wise there were some pretty good ideas going on but, partly because of the way Magyk was written I did find it very predictable, the main twist is given away because of some bad decision making- which may be on part of the publishers rather than Sage herself. I must admit a fair bit of the plot didn' seem particully original either, partly because I think Sage had used myths to do with magic- which is probably a good thing, and partly because it was predictable. There were some really good ideas though, I particully liked the dragon ring and it's surrounding storyline. I will read the rest in ther series, because I dislike leaving a series unfinished but I wouldn't activelly seek them out.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific!, 13 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Magyk (Septimus Heap) (Paperback)
This book is amazing! It combines all sorts of characters like Wizards,Hunters,Kings and Queens. It even has a map at the start of the book so you can see where your favourite character is. I am only 8 years old but even I can read it and enjoy it. I am at the point where the hunter is hunting down Jenna,Marcia,Silas and Max. my favourite part was when they were all sliding down the rubbish chute with all the rubbish and rats. It is really enjoyable so buy the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›