Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 29 October 2007
I'm faintly embarrassed to say that I was really looking forward to reading Jackie Collins' new book as I've found her previous novels quite entertaining.
However, this time, I felt very disappointed. Lots of plots as usual which is fine, but they didn't seem to actually go anywhere and all ended in a bit of an anti-climax. Nothing interesting happens.
The main focus is on Lucky's annoying 16 year old daughter, Max and her 'Internet Freak' who becomes obsessed with her. She's not really in danger as he doesn't want to hurt her so... well... nothing really happens. A common theme in the book...
In a nutshell: Boring.
on 25 June 2008
Now let's see, are all the usual suspects in her latest novel? The pyscho stalker - check, the cheeky sassy 16 year old - check, the apparently well matched couple, but one of whom is playing away - check, the villainous mafia boss - check, that is all the same type of characters that have appeared in all the other books, but why ruin a winning formula, now it all just needs to be put together in an interesting storyline.....oh slight problem here.
I have really enjoyed the earlier Jackie Collins books such as Lovers and Gamblers, Chances, Lucky, the Hollywood Wives books etc and used to get so excited by the thought of her next novel coming out, but since then it seems that Jackie Collins has run out of ideas and is just rehashing the same old character types in the same old scenarios. This would not be quite so bad if she bothered to put together a good storyline, but it seems in this book that she runs out of interest in the characters and the storyline and finishes it with extremely lame endings, rather than building the story to an exciting conclusion. The kidnapping plot which has been done time and time again in her other books, is half hearted, falls flat in the middle of the story and has a very lame unexciting ending as per most of the story. Her main characters Lucky and Lenny, by now have been together years, had children and been through some real issues, but still talk to each other in the book as though they have only just met rather than a well suited couple as Jackie Collins wants to portray.
So did I enjoy this book? Take a guess! At least it was better than Lovers and Players, which was dire in the extreme.
However after all this I am not saying don't buy this book. If you are new to Jackie Collins and have only just started reading her books then the story will be fresh and you may enjoy it, I feel that the storyline is not that good, but that is because I am comparing her earlier well put together novels with the later lazier ones, anyone else who has not got that comparison will not have the same complaints about the storylines. Although I feel she has not bothered to put together a good ending to this book, she does write in a sassy and entertaining style and pulls no punches with character assasination of certain types that you will find in the real world.
I just wish that she would go back to how she used to write and start to entertain us all again with something new rather than just relying on what has worked before and hoping it will do the same trick.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
To be honest, this book has proven to me that Lucky may have reached the end of her rope and perhaps the death of the character may not be a bad thing as this book didn't have the usual flair that you come to expect from Jackies writing. It left me wondering if she's starting down the road to relying on her name to sell a book rather than making sure that she will keep the readers happy.

Other area's where I have problems is that Geno the Ram is still going at 95 and I get the feeling that there's more ram in his computer than anywhere near him. But what really hacked me off was the fact that most of this book had the reader chained to the escapades of a 16 year old spoiled brat who doesn't do anything for the book and were she breathing would have had a solid beating for wasting a lot of my time. Its not that I'm anti Jackie Collins, I'm not, I love her stuff and a new novel from her is always a highlight of my calendar, yet this tale really did seem to have to be sold off of Jackie's name with the characters being pretty dull and missing the usual Collins Lustre. To give you a taster the highlight of this book with its mystery is who gave who crabs. For gods sake, I really don't care, Jackie please take Lucky back to the way she's previously been and make me a happy reader once again, perhaps even doing so by assassinating that damn annoying daughter and double my reading pleasure.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2008
Well this an easy reading book - family fueds - unhappy people - that make you want to keep on reading this book. A very good book to take on holiday or if you are not having a holiday just buy this book -have some early nights - and just enjoy this good read. There is always something happening. I am enjoying reading every page. So off I go to read some more chapters.
VINE VOICEon 14 October 2013
A huge, brash, unsubtle brick of a novel. It's an 80s soap in book form: shallow characterisation, short scenes jump cutting to other short scenes, and just enough narrative to make it plausible.

This is Jackie Collins probably at her worst, all swearing, violence and sex. Not one character has a redeeming feature. I assume the speed of the narrative is meant to stop you from thinking about character, but what works on TV does not work (for me, at least) in book form.

I normally love a good Jackie Collins because what she does, she does well and it's worth it for the entertainment value. This was a shocker, though. She'd done a real Barbara Cartland here by dictating at breakneck speed in short paragraphs and episodes to get the book done. Unlike Barbara, she forgot to make anyone with whom the reader could empathise. All the characters either have hugely unlikeable traits or are too vague: from Lucky Santangelo as two dimensional ruthless businesswoman down to Irma Bonar as one-dimensional trophy wife. Empowerment is not the watch word here.

And how much back-story can you cram into one book? By a third of the way through I was fed up of reading about what had obviously happened to people in previous books. If you were that hooked, you'd know, or if you were new like me, you wouldn't care because it added nothing to the story. Jackie Collins seems to believe it gives depth to character. She's wrong.

Even the title is pretty irrelevant - the incident it refers to is something insignificant by a minor character. It feels like Jackie thought it up along with a main plotline which she subsequently dropped for a "better" idea.

It was like watching one of those afternoon TV movies from way back. Fascinating, but ultimately crap. Probably a good plane read. I'm sad to say it because I've enjoyed lots of Jackie before, but this was awful.
on 3 January 2008
I had this book for Christmas and finished it in 2 days. It was ok ish and the chapters were short so you felt you wanted to keep reading. I did have issues with the characters though in that they are all a little bit too fantastic to believe. Gino, being 95 and still going to Vegas looking around hotels and enjoying parties, i think not, not even in Hollywood. Max, Luckys spoiled teenage daughter, spoiled but oh so doesnt do drugs etc, do celebrity children really have such a great upbringing that they dont do drink or drugs, more like mummy and daddy are too interested in grabbing headlines that they give a damn about their kids, or even know their names, and the character Lucky herself and her husband Lennie. Too good to be true, how old is Lucky, im guessing mid forties, why no wrinkles, why is she so fabulous looking, her husband is fabulous looking, her children are fabulous looking, everything she does is a success, her relationship with her husband is fabulous, they never argue, how real is that!!! I feel a bit of substance and real life wouldnt go amiss here. Life isnt the fairytale. I enjoyed the book, entertaining enough, but wouldnt rush out to buy it and probably wont ever pick it up to re-read it again.
on 8 August 2011
No need for a lengthy review here.

The good points:
You don't need to have read any of the previous Santangelo books to understand whats going on.
Oh and Irma's revenge.

The Bad points:
It was boring
Much of the story was from the point of view of a spoiled 16 year old brat and her stupid druggie mates.
The "internet freak" story was bland and unoriginal.
The bits with lucky and lennie the "super perfect" couple were boring.
Mafia boss evil guy was foul. No other way around it. I've only read 2 Madison Castelli books by Collins so maybe the absolutely abhorrent bad guy is common place but i hated that.
It gets worse - the parts of the story that were not completely dull were the bits of the awful bad guy's life (not a good thing unless you are sadistic)
"Drop dead beautiful" plot was stupid and obvious and came to nothing
Other plot to ruin her hotel - again obvious and boring and came to nothing.

I thought Jackie Collins was going to become a favourite of mine despite that it is not what i usually read. The 2 I've read were really enjoyable. This one sucked.
on 25 April 2008
The first Collins novel I read was Thrill and it lived up to its title. Her newer books aren't a patch on her older work, in this book she seems to have given up on the sex, glamour and excitement for a trundle through an old characters latest escapades.
This story features some old and new characters, although you could pick it up without reading the previous books in the Santangelo series. It centres around Lucky and her latest hotel 'The Keys' which is a bit 'been there, read that', and her daughter Max who gets kidnapped and just as it gets exciting the drama stops and you find yourself getting off halfway through the ride. The story picks up a bit towards the end but it seems like she ran out of time and sums up the ending of each characters storyline very quickly over a few pages which is a real anti-climax.
Collins keeps the chapters short, which is good for a bedtime read and the suspense follows the trusted formula of moving between the characters and leaving each chapter on a cliff-hanger, but if you lost this on the beach you might find yourself not caring about the story enough to go and buy it again, and it's not one you will re-read over and over again like some of her others.
on 8 February 2008
At the age of 13 naturally I'd never heard of Jackie Collins...I was on holiday, and having finished my Harry Potter book I went to the hotel's library where I found this book. The cover looked wonderful, and I felt in need of some girly book, but lets just say, do not judge a book by its cover!

From the first chapter I was absorbed. Never had I ever read anything like it and I was amazed and compelled. I finished the book in a matter of days and as soon as I got home I brought loads more Jackie Collins.

The more I read the more I realise why I love these books, as it's due to the fact they're paced, racy and there's lots of characters, with things happening in their lives, which later adds up to a bigger conclusion, as everything ties together.

There is more defiantly always a dramatic climax at the end of a Jackie Collins novel!
on 1 November 2007
For all Jackie Collins fans who have read previous books that star Lucky, you'll be glad to see/read that she's back. It's the 6th book involving her and she is quite a character. She's the kind of woman that all women would like to be because she says what she wants and means and gets away with it all. Here she has a 16 year old daughter in this story who is now online meeting perverts and an older guy who says he is 19 without her mom knowing. She is building a new hotel in Vegas and has that to deal with. Of course no Jackie Collins book would be complete without a villan (Anthony Bonar) who is someone from her past who's planning to take everything from her.