5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous. A Definite Keeper.
Having bought several editions of the Cello Suites over the past 20 years I've hung on to only two, Fournier and Casals, but this set will be my third 'keeper'.
Tunnicliffe's playing, which is both understated and authoritative, allows Bach's writing to shine and kept me expectant for each approaching phrase.
So many modern versions I have listened to sound...
Published on 26 Mar. 2012 by David Fuller

1.0 out of 5 stars He plays the notes whenever he feels like it
Published 19 months ago by Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous. A Definite Keeper., 26 Mar. 2012
David Fuller (Kentish Town, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Cello Suites 1-6 (Audio CD)
So many modern versions I have listened to sound hurried and/or have too much emoting and inappropriate phrasing imposed upon the listener - not the case here.
The instrument used has a lovely warm sound and the balance between acoustic intimacy and atmsphere is spot on.
Highly Reccommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach Cello Suites, 29 Sept. 2012
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Cello Suites 1-6 (Audio CD)
This performance grows on you. At first, I thought it somewhat rigid in exposition and muted in feeling. Daniel Shafran being the measure against which all others are judged,I put Richard Tunicliffe in the upper second rank. Soon, what was muted became the proper correlate of exquisite playing; and the sense of development from suite to suite made, by the end, for remarkable musicianship. Safran still rules but this is of a different order and very fine indeed. The sound quality can not be bettered

1.0 out of 5 stars He plays the notes whenever he feels like it, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Cello Suites 1-6 (Audio CD)
Before listening to this I bought both the SACD and the 192/24 download from LINN. While the SACD was coming in the post I listened to the 192/24 files through my top-shelf DAC, my first impression was, "It sounds thin, like the mic(s) we're placed quite far away from the cello to capture some of the church's ambience (you can hear what sounds like birds flying and chirping inside of the church at the beginning of track #18 of the first disk, which is quite cool). Hopefully the SACD will have a bit more meat to it."

The SACD does have a little more meat to it albeit marginally. Funnily enough, I prefer the surround sound tracks over stereo, which is unusual for me. I have top-shelf measured balanced timber-matched setups in both stereo and surround. Only through the dedicated center channel can you get up and a little 'closer' to the player.

The 'player' or 'playing' brings me to my biggest beef regarding these performances. Richard Tunnicliffe plays the correct notes but plays them whenever he wants without a hint of rhythm or cohesive flow.

He seemingly continues to miss the point at every opportunity. A rhythmic pulse just begins to gain steam then he crashes into a wall full stop. Can someone please give this guy a metronome for Christmas? It's so frustrating.

If Bach throws a couple triple-time extra notes in a relatively steady beat isn't it obvious the player is supposed to machine gun them in there as not to lose the tempo? Richard just pauses, limps through the added notes, then eventually picks up the intended flow again. Disastrous and ultimately rendering this two-disk set to some background listening during dinner or while doing dishes because it's far too annoying to try and become hypnotized by Bach only to have this 'music teacher' continually kick you in the nose.

I don't get it.

I pulled out my Starker Bach Cello SACD to see if I was crazy and sure enough Starker, although playing a tad faster, connects all the dots along the way and makes a cohesive journey throughout each track. Starker did it right.

If you watch any random YouTube videos of Jacqueline du Pre sitting on a stool playing anything, she gets the 'musicality' of the total in whole. The 'song'. The intention of the composer. Richard's interpretations seem more little flurries of pretentious favorite personal moments 'he' enjoys, bookended by sporadic notes buying time until another favorite flurry he enjoys playing. "I got this part, yeah."

Kinda disappointed all around here, more so because so much effort must have been put into creating this modern recording. It could have been so much more.

J.S. Bach: Cello Suites 1-6
J.S. Bach: Cello Suites 1-6 by Richard Tunnicliffe (Audio CD - 2012)