5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read
Published on 30 Jan 2012 by Tabitha Jayne

3.0 out of 5 stars Voices of Angles
This is in many respects a better book than the 3 star rating indicates and yet it's let down by some basics. I know the author and she deserves my honest opinion - at least as much as her story deserved proper editing. What is in essence a decent story for its target (teen) audience is diminished by an unhealthy sprinkling of missing words, mis-chosen words (bells that...
Published 3 months ago by Simon A Forward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
From the moment I sat down to read Voices of Angels I was hooked. Hannah has created a compelling story that follows the journey of 15 year Lizzie as she struggles to accept her unique gift of being able to see when people are about to die. The book is filled with life, death, love, passion, betrayal, regret and much more with the main story set again the sizzling backdrop of Andalucian Spain. You won't be able to put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and wonderful, 9 Mar 2012
E J Miller (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I simply loved this book. Lizzie must attempt to come to terms with her unwanted gift - she can tell when someone is about to die.

I loved the way the supernatural aspects of the story were woven into the narrative without too much drama. Instead, the drama is in the relationships between Lizzie and her grandmother, Ariadne, Lizzie and Rafa, Ariadne and Gabriel and Rafa and Gabriel. Spice is added to the mix when Lizzie's so-called 'friend', the vile Bee Buckingham, arrives from the UK. Lizzie's budding relationship with Rafa is thrown into doubt. Her gift intrudes when she realises her grandmother, whom she has come to love, will die in 7 days and time is running out.

Add in the warmth and vibrancy of Andalucia in summer (I know it well) and you have a magical recipe for love, desire, betrayal and reconciliation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book as I came across Hannah on a webinar and was very impressed by her copywriting knowledge. The book, I kept to start until I was on a journey to France and would have quality time to write and I loved it. I wasn't sure what to expect so I entered into it completely open minded and the writing carried me along. I especially loved when the story moved to Spain, perhaps as I love travel, but as I got further and further into it, I just couldn't put it down and was looking for opportunities to read more.

There were so many dimensions and relationships and Hannah wove them all together beautifully and brought the real world and the more spiritual world together beautifully. I have recommended this to me daughter and am looking forward to Hannah's next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, ambitious debut, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
Lizzie is a solitary girl attending school in London. She doesn't remember her father, her mother is cold, busy, and standoffish, and she's bullied. Once upon a time, she did have a friend, Bee. But now they are bitter enemies, as happens quite often in life between childhood friends who grow older and veer off in different directions as they try desperately to find their niche.

Lizzie does have one loyal, wonderful friend---her dog, Joopy. The reader grows to love the dog very quickly.

She and Joopy spend time in a nearby graveyard, where she shares her anguish with a stone angel. One wonders what her abusive schoolmates would have done with that had they learned of it. Talking to this statue helps her cope.

When she sees a mark above a teacher's head, her world is sent into a spin. The teacher dies seven days later, and somehow, Lizzie understands that the mark she saw was a warning signal of the coming death. Unfortunately, she says something about the mark, and the bullying is on, big time. She's persecuted without mercy by Bee and Bee's friends.

Soon after this, after yet another death, Lizzie's mother reluctantly agrees to send her child to Spain so she can meet and spend some time with her grandmother. Ariadne is a truly mesmerizing character, and as I got deeper into the book, I grew to appreciate how the author spans the generations in such a respectful, profound way---in a way that should make all YA readers ponder. Ariadne helps Lizzie transform from the hesitant, scared victim she's always been. Lizzie begins to blossom, partly from Ariadne's influence, and partly due to Rafa, the young Spanish boy with the black hair, dark eyes, and a way with a guitar.

This is an inspiring, ambitious novel. It deals quite thoroughly and delicately with death, (leaving me in tears twice) and explores the question, "Is there anything after you died? Or nothing." It deals with almost all facets of human relationships, between youth and the aged, between those struggling with their identities, with love, with fear, and with hatred. It's just too bad we can't all spend a summer in exotic Spain with a nurturing adult, and interact with other cultures. Though I am long past my teenage years, I, too, was absorbed by the fundamental, primordial aspects of the book. I found Lizzie deeply sympathetic, although I admit there were times I grew aggravated with the way she allowed Bee to treat her, and said not one word in her own defense. In a way I understood it, but it was still hard to take. As for Ariadne, I would wish a grandmother like her for every living person on earth. And Rafa was delightful.

The way Davis deals with the whole question of what comes after death is particularly well done, I thought. It treads delicately and logically, without any of the typical, tiresome dogma.

"Voices of Angels" is an entertaining yet profound read---not an easy feat to achieve. I highly recommend this YA book for the girl in your life, or for your own library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Reading...!, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed every detail in this book. The characters were with me from the start and I could hear the characters voices. I loved the fact that the book was based around Andalusia, as I am familiar with Spain, this brought me right home. I could picture the grandmothers home and could feel the amazing passion from Rafa. Being a spiritual worker I could relate to the story very well and feel Hannah has researched her subject well. Her paranormal insights convincingly real and true, grasping the paranormal perfectly. Definitely sits well in my spiritual and psychic world. Thank you for a wonderful book, I cant wait to read your next work of art!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow I loved it!!, 5 Feb 2012
E. Ansell "Eloise" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
This is an awesome book, I couldn't put it down. Anyone with a heart will love it!

I am not a big fiction reader, I often get bored easily when I pick up a book... But not with this one! From the start I was transported into Lizzie's life and I didn't want to leave.

This book will whisk you away and transport you to another world. We meet Lizzie and see her grow into her own skin, she finds a love we would all love to meet, and finds and accepts herself in the process. This is a wonderful story, believable, fresh and exciting. Not just for teenagers... Everyone will love it :)

I love the attention to detail in the book, even down to the names of the characters! Very clever.

I would easily have paid 5+ for this book, I can't believe the price.

Hannah has an amazing gift. I can't wait for the next book. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PARANORMAL DEBUT NOVEL, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed reading about Lizzie and her unwanted gift of paranormal ability. She discovers this gift while in high school.

I hated high school, even though I was considered popular. I sympathized with Lizzie, especially when she lost Bee. Bee had been her best friend and neighbor since kindergarten. Bullying is something I still despise today.

When lizzie was in Mrs. Froust's class, and saw a black mark above her head, I was hooked!

If you like books written about paranormal events, this one's for you.

Rebecca Scarberry (Scarberryfields on Twitter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Slightly sinister fun in the sun, 21 Jun 2012
R. King "Writer" (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
Voices of angels is a young adult novel about a 15 year old girl struggling to fit in at home and at school so did I enjoy it?

Oh yes, I loved it. I can't see it having the same cross-over success as that Potter boy or the vampire/werewolf stuff and nonsense but it's spot on for the target market.

Fifteen year old Lizzie Fisher is an outcast at school after falling out with her best friend and neighbour who just happens to be one of those annoyingly popular girls at school. Her secret trysts with a stone angel in a cemetery start to look positively normal when she starts to see black marks over her teacher's head. Seven days later her teacher is dead.

After being the centre of trouble Lizzie is sent away to live in Andalucía with her bohemian granny who she hardly knows. In the blistering heat of Spain she falls in love with a talented goat herder and discovers that the insular world of her school and home town is not nearly as important as she thought.

The plot moves quickly, Lizzie's struggles are instantly recognisable, and the laid-back Spanish approach to problems should strike a chord with people of every age.

I would say that I wished there were books like this when I was 15 but I wouldn't have read a book about a girl then and I was already devouring adult books. This is a shame as this type of book would probably have given me the confidence I have now much earlier in life.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational teenage chick lit with a grown up twist, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I read, as Lizzie experienced struggles with her appearance, her beautiful difference and worst of all the feeling of not being accepted. Some very familiar feelings for anyone especially those going through the teenage phase of their lives. Reading on I was excited that all these issues were addressed in the most positive light. A glowing picture was built of Lizzie's life, her thoughts and her experiences which brought alive the very humanness of existence in each of us. The book feels like a romance at times, with spiritual touches, however it could also be mistaken as a self healing book where there are some very significant and poignant thoughts about relationships, self image and the value of life in its simplest form.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it as a gift for anyone in need of positivity, inspiration and love in their life.
Can't wait for the next one....

5.0 out of 5 stars First class story-telling, 3 Jun 2012
This review is from: Voices of Angels (Kindle Edition)
Largely set in southern Spain, Hannah M Davis has written evocatively of the location, the people and the spirit of the area, creating an atmospheric backdrop for the action. And there is plenty going on within this coming-of-age story. The build up of romantic tension between the Lizzie and Rafa is both sweet and sensitive yet it also really sizzles.

The premise of the book - a girl who struggles with her newly found psychic gift for knowing when people are going to die, is skillfully handled, without being sensational or gimmicky.

Whether you're a young adult or just young at heart - this is a fabulous read and, as I finished the last page, I immediately wanted to read the sequel...hope it's out soon.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›