on 11 January 2014
Even though this lens extension is very expensive (NB cheaper at amazon.de than amazon.uk!), it is a superb accessory and well worth the purchase price for the following reasons:
1) Unlike the cheaper wide angle lenses widely available (e.g. one by Polaroid which costs around £25), this lens is genuinely "zoom-through" i.e. leave it on your camcorder all the time, and you will not get any vignetting (even at maximum wide angle) or off-centre blurring (even at maximum telephoto). This is a great asset when you are on location, as it eliminates much fumbling and time-wasting, not to say also running the risk of dropping and breaking it.
2) This lens actually improves the performance of my camcorder (Panasonic X920) lens:
- video and still images are more true-to-life, vibrant and warmer (reminiscent of Agfacolour film) : it is no longer necessary to edit them with applications like Adobe Photoshop Premiere to rid them of the bluish tinge (reminiscent of Kodak film), especially when out in the open. It is also perfectly accurate in all artificial lighting.
- with the outer lens surface being an impressive 75 mm wide, it is more than two times wider than the lens of the camcorder itself, and this factor noticeably increases the sensitivity of the camcorder in poorer light, especially in terms of colour.
3) With a lens barrel 75mm wide and 40mm long, the wide angle length is conspicuously heavy and bulky when seen in isolation, but when mounted on my X920, I end up with a camcorder which is well-balanced and looks rock-solid. Also, it "merges" with the camcorder, and does not look like an add-on. If anything, the camcorder looks more sturdy and businesslike! Your beloved camcorder will not look as if a cheap accessory has been tacked onto in.
CONCLUSION: This lens is well worth its high price, in terms of performance, handling and aesthetic appearance. My only criticism: Panasonic should have made provisions for screwing accessories like filters to this lens -- this would not have been technically demanding, and in theory would not have made it any more expensive,
on 20 March 2015
This converter lens is excellent, it really does do justice to the video images, and there seems to be no distortion of image whatsoever The image is sharper and has more depth of colour.. and it does look fantastic attached to the Panasonic X920 well worth its weight in gold.