Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More

Price:£44.99 - £68.99

on 22 October 2012
Don't be fooled by some of the tailored-looking peacoat images floating around, there's no such finesse here but then, this IS a replica of the US Navy deck jacket; a standard american working-class garment designed to keep you warm in 'gale-force' weather. You shouldn't believe the `70% wool 30% viscose' claim either. That's completely false. This coat is actually 50% wool and 50% viscose, as is very clearly stated on the label! Does that matter? Well, it ensures that the coat is not as warm or as comfortable as its more expensive rivals and there are many on the market (Schott, Spiewak, American Industries...etc), with prices going up to and beyond £250 .

The `hand warmer' outer pockets are ok. They're deep enough to get your hands in but you wouldn't want to keep your phone in there. The inside pocket is bizarrely angled but easy to access with the coat buttoned up. The buttons could've done with a few more passes from the needle & thread, I mean they seem a bit flimsy, but that being said I've had this jacket for a few months now and none of the buttons have come off.

There are flaws with this coat however, what it lacks in finesse and details it makes up for in warmth and comfort. Granted, it's not as warm & comfy as a Schott peacoat but then, it's a quarter of the price! It's toasty enough for an English October evening and it looks kind of good, especially with the collar down (the collar looks OK when it's 'popped', just so long as you do all of the buttons up, otherwise it flops around like a suffocating fish).

Even with its flaws I think it's better than the numerous cheaper reproductions in the high street stores. In short, it's OK; nothing too flashy but it does what it's supposed to do and does it well; a wee bit overpriced perhaps but this is 'rip-off Britain' (besides, there's always ebay, right?)

As with almost all pea coats Mil Tec's effort is generously proportioned so if you're going to buy one, DO make sure you buy a size smaller than you'd normally get. I always get `Large' coats and jackets. The `Medium' Mil Tec Pea Coat fits me almost perfectly.
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2014
The original pea coat worn by the US Navy has a minimum requirement of 70% wool - this one is only 50%. This information is clear on their advert but when you get the jacket you may be surprised at how felt-like the material is rather than a robust wool feel.
I had to send my first jacket back because it was huge - having two different size charts doesn't help. The second jacket is a better fit but be warned, the shoulder pads are ridiculously large and resemble an American Football player's armour.
I'm keeping the jacket, but feel very self-conscious in it because of the giant shoulder pads which I may look to removing at some point.
Delivery time was excruciatingly slow, after an email informed me it had been posting it was the best part of two weeks before arrival - the replacement item came much more quickly.
I'm not entirely happy with the jacket (as is clear) but I love pea coats so I'm sticking with it (I secretly want to be Jack Nicholson in The Last detail). Hope that's of some use to you.
on 10 January 2013
This is all I had expected and something I have been seeking for a long time.It is tradional and was a very popular item with the US navy.I am very pleased with the quality and the cut/finish is 1st class making it really good value for money and equal to similar products costing more than twice the price.I can add that it has stood the test of time in a China winter,having spent 3 months in Beijing keeping me warm and comfortable. The service was very good with a quick responsive delivery and only 1 minor downside being that it was not well packaged.
on 14 February 2013
This is quite possibly the most well-made coat I've ever owned. I can only assume negative reviews of the button stitching and other issues are down to a bad batch, as mine are completely secure and all stitching is perfect. The only thing that I would say that is in any degree negative is that if you're selling a 50% wool coat you probably shouldn't pretend it's a 70% wool coat. The label inside clearly states the percentages, so it's a bit of a giveaway.

The coat itself is very warm and fits very well. I ordered exactly my size and it fits exactly, so be aware that the bigger you are, the less likely the coat will be oversized as some reviewers have commented. The buttons are secure and the fabric is as stiff as it should be (one reviewer commented that "popping" the collar was disappointingly floppy, I haven't found this; possibly another batch quality issue). The pockets on the outside are great. They're in just the right place for your hands on a cold winter's morning, and they're angled enough that anything you put in won't just fall out again. The pocket on the inside is extremely strange, in that it sits vertically along the edge of the coat and angles down inside. Anything in here would fall out quite easily if you weren't careful, and the position of it makes it difficult to access with the coat on. I don't think I'd ever use it anyway, since it would make the front of the coat bulge in a very odd way if anything thicker than the slimmest of wallets was put in it.

That's all the functional stuff out of the way. As for the feel of the thing, I think it's fantastic. It looks great, it feels great, it's very warm. The price is astonishing for the quality of the product. If you're looking for a coat like this, I'd have no hesitation in recommending this one. To get something equivalent on the high street, you'd have to pay £200 or so. Your other option is joining the US Navy, so on balance, I'd pay the 60 quid for this and avoid both service in the North Atlantic and Debenhams.
on 30 October 2012
Brilliant, good heavyweight cloth, good fit, warm as hell, comes up a little large though, I'm normally a 44" chest should've ordered a 42"
on 27 January 2014
Fantasic quality....However, be aware of fitting. I usually take a medium to large fitting (40 inch chest), so I ordered a medium. This was too big so it was returned and a small ordered. Fit was perfect. As I said at the beginning this feels and looks like a coat that I paid significantly more money for, very good quality feel. It is a classic design in keeping with the original peacoat rather than a fashion conscious item. A note on delivery/returns - the coat is heavy and it will cost to return if there are any issues (£10!).
on 26 May 2015
This is a seriously heavy and thick winter coat.After brushing it and letting the creases fall out or taking it to a dry cleaner to get them to steam it only,it does not need cleaning as well it looks very good indeed.Pity the weather is too hot to wear it.Fit is as everybody has said on other reviews.Very pleased.It is worth the long delivery time,but its summer now.Got a overcoat that has 20% cashmere in it and this looks better and is thicker.
on 12 March 2014
I was looking for a traditional Pea Jacket and the designer label versions were both too fashionable/fussy and too expensive. This is the classic design and fits the bill perfectly, though as many have remarked, it is a wool blend. Seems well made by a german manufacturer and the fit was exactly as specified - I am a 40 chest and medium was spot on over a chunky sweater. Only gripe is that there is only one fairly small internal pocket, two would have been useful. Be prepared for a fairly long delivery, though the supplier does make this very clear, explaining that being in Ireland they use the lowest cost means of international shipping.
on 13 March 2016
Warm and windproof, fits well and great value. I tried a Schott Peacoat at a lot more cash and was disappointed at its small size, although both coats quoted the same chest size. My only niggle is that the buttons are sewn into the top surface of the material and soon started to unravel. I sewed them back through the material with a keeper button on the inside. I would have willing to pay a few more pounds if they had been done at source.
on 12 March 2015
Having received my jacket I am delighted with it. Incredibly warm, roomy enough for layers beneath [I bought it specifically for long walks along the Cornish coast] if needed. the large' buttons are slightly larger than I thought they would be! The inner pocket angle is the same as a 'genuine' original Pea Coat and if you love these garments you will not be surprised by it or think it odd. Delivery does take a long time, but the little family company you are dealing with do contact and warn you of this so if you wish you may pull out at that stage and is not something to complain about as you are kept informed. In all I will happily recommend this garment AND this supplier, but you WILL need to be patient. If you want quality at a good price then this is for you.

See one answered question