• Alone

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£2.10

on 15 April 2012
This is a good read, again considering the low cost. I was a little concerned that I could work out some of the events before they happened which were a little disturbing. There was also the fact that he wasn't really alone for very long. The story itself moved along at a pace which build tension and suspense ... but then , like a few kindle books i have read, seem to finish way too early, almost as if the writter was glad to get it over with. This was not helped by me expecting to have about 15% of the book left so i that that more would occur and then the end of the book is a chapter from another one of the authors books (i suppose this is the flaw with the kindle that you can't see how much of the book you have left in terms of thickness of pages) - i think probably it would make a good film although you may well have to add another twist at the end. I think i was expecting there to be some sort of resolution or maybe retribution which I didn't get
However, i was disturbed and spooked at various points so the writting is very good and absorbing and i liked the style. I would recommend this as a good read.
on 28 March 2012
Let me say first of all that I am enjoying this book. Nearly a third of the way in, I have no idea where this is going - which is just as it should be in a tale such as this. The basic premise is not original (person wakes up lacking memory of who they are or what their circumstances may be), but that matters not at all; it is the journey towards understanding that is important, and that is shaping up well.

But oh dear, oh dear!! The writing needs serious editing as it is scattered with irritating beginners' errors. The flow jumps and slows poorly. The POV (Point of View) is all over the place, adjectives and adverbs are thrown around willy-nilly, and the same words/phrases are repeated over and over. I could go on and on. Does any of that matter? Well, yes it does, because it jolts the reader out of the story world and back to reality.

Find a good professional editor Mr Cairns, take his/her advice, and you could have a five star book on your hands!
on 30 March 2012
I read the reviews on this page before buying 'Alone' and had hopes for a decent, if not incredible, read. I was to be bitterly disappointed - the writing here is stagnant and uninspiring, dialogue in particular is forced (and detracts hugely from any sense of immersion it might have been possible to have), and to top it off the grammar is awful: rhetorical questions without question marks, random capitalisation (particularly in relation to the aforementioned dialogue) and a general lack of punctuation other than full stops make the whole book read like it was written by a child.

There is promise for the story and if properly written I'm sure it would be an enjoyable read. Unfortunately the lack of any tension, gravitas or emotion anywhere in the text makes this a very difficult book to enjoy. Desperately needs an editor, and realistically needs rewriting from scratch. Until then, I would avoid and instead go for some of the excellent science fiction that is available out there (Containment, for example, or some of the compilations of science fiction stories).
on 29 September 2012
Although the main character was alone in the first chapter and at the end he was not really alone for very long (at least in the physical sense). The whole was a little slow but the intrigue built throughout until all was revealed and then it just petered out at the end.
on 1 April 2012
I read this book in one sitting and it gripped me instantly. A fast paced and gripping plot with raw immediate dialogue set the scene for a great read. The writer definitely has promise.
on 23 November 2015
Not what I was expècting. Kind of like a shining in space. Chilling, psycological, twisted. Everything you could want in spine tingling horror. I was gonna give it four stars because it was a fairly short read and the ending, hmmm? It was very abrupt and wtf, but on the up side it's a story that stays with you long after you've read it.
on 25 June 2012
At times I will read almost anything when I'm short of a good book. I am willing to give any style of writing a go and am not afraid of a challenge. However, this is probably the most poorly written book I have ever read. I struggled on for a few chapters and hated almost every sentence.
At first I thought it may have been deliberate, written in a pseudo-futuristic, stream of consciousnees style. I decided to "look inside" a couple of his other books (set in Scotland and Cyprus) and they were just the same. Long rambling sentences are full of bizarre repetition and clumsy alliteration. The dialogue is feeble and utterly unconvincing. It really could have been written by a small child.
I could go on and on but I will just wind myself up further. There is no point in imploring you not to read this book as some people actually like it! Ah well, I guess it takes all sorts to make a world.
Back again! I did manage to make it to the end as it is quite a short book. I think it was really a short story that got stretched out a bit. Anyway, unbelievably the book got even more awful as it went on. This is a writer with a seriously small vocabulary! If you put the word "look" (verb) into any thesaurus you will get quite a lot of alternatives. Mr Thomas only seems to know two. 90% of the time he used the word "glance" and the rest of the time "stare". How does one "glance wildly"? Also, the number of times we were told that the main character "stood onto (his) feet" was mind boggling.
To be fair, it wasn't a bad idea for a short story, if it had been written by a writer of any ability.
That's it - I really must stop myself there.
on 5 November 2015
I quite liked this book. It's pace was quite gentle with the odd surprise here and there.
I didn't like the ending and would have enjoyed it if it had been a bit longer.... That doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't think it's a great ending though - we're all different after all!
on 23 December 2015
I really enjoyed this almost 'shining in space' little mystery suspense thriller. I really hope there is a sequel around the corner. Loved the chilling and tense atmosphere. A little on the short side, but still a great story non the less
on 7 September 2014
Quick read, but really great atmosphere. Loved the build up and the chilling storyline. Read it in one night as just couldn't put it down.I hope there is a sequel soon.