5.0 out of 5 stars Fang-tastic
Well, well, well...
I must admit that when I heard that about 75% of the original cast were leaving before the 4th series ended, I was sceptical at the prospect of Being Human without principle figures that held together much of the show.
How wrong was I?
Published on 27 April 2012 by TheInformativeDuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Last in the package
Brought this as I had loved the previous 3 series. I had been warned that I probably would be disappointed, but needed closure. Unfortunately, I was disappointed, it feel seriously short of the previous programmes, in both story lines and depth of the new characters. Such a shame.
Published 12 months ago by Mrs Julie Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fang-tastic, 27 April 2012
Well, well, well...
How wrong was I?
As the series began with George's immense sacrifice, it makes for truly heart-breaking TV. But the show doesn't dwell on it, and some may even claim that it was wrong not to, I however saw it as something so much more, about just getting on and dealing with it because other matters were more important.
With this series, two new editions join Annie. Tom, from the previous series, comes into his own. His naivety and childlike nature develops over the eight episodes and is perfect when playing it against Hal, the prim, OCD new vampire. But in no sense is he a replacement for Mitchell, instead he is a wonderful character who is entirely his own. It is hardly believable that the actor Damien Molony is fresh out of acting school given is wonderful performance. In some cases I actually prefer him to Mitchell.
And Annie, oh, lovely Annie. Her wonderful presence is what holds the entire show together. Lenora is wonderful, as she always has been, really having to fend for herself now that George, Mitchell and Nina are gone. But eventually she learns to trust the new residents of Hondula Heights.
Aside from the three regulars, wonderful characters come and go; Adam (the horny teenage vampire from the previous series), Allison (A wonderfully quirky werewolf) Kirby (a ghost who is slightly in need of help...) Alex (Tomboyish lass from Scotland on a holiday) Cutler (Who I would be more than happy to make a return next series in a flashback...) Regus (the vampire recorder) And Mr Snow, whom, I shall say is one of the creepiest vampires I have ever laid eyes upon.
The series has reverted back to the premise of series 1, and focuses more on the comedy and the heart of Being Human, which is ultimately just humanity.
The DVD in itself is, unlike the previous three DVD sets, a lot more weighted with extras. The interviews with the cast, production officers and the writer Toby Whithouse give a greater idea to their plans. The deleted scenes are brilliant to watch, particularly the last one, which makes me laugh all the time. It also includes the prequels for the new characters and gives a trailer detailing the last three years of the show. And finally, the behind the scenes footage that the BBC posted during the show being on air are extended slightly to give a lot more depth.
A wonderful addition to my DVD collection and I still continue to be a loyal fan. Bring on series 5!

4.0 out of 5 stars engaging storylines and very enjoyable, despite some major changes in the cast, 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
The first 2 series of Being Human were totally classic TV fantasy: A ghost, a werewolf and a vampire live in a house together and are trying to be as human as possible but threats both supernatural and human keep attempting to pull them back and make them monsters again. Somehow it is a metaphor for everything in human nature that makes people feel marginalized, monsters in the eyes of society. I see metaphors for drug abuse, mental health, sexuality, bdsm and transgender.

So much for why I love Being Human. But what about series 4? Well the first 2 series were classics, and series 3 was still very good. But at the end of series 3 the vampire character is killed off, and at the beginning of series 4 George and Nina (the 2 main werewolf characters) also leave the show. As a result series 4 is marred by a drastic change of cast, which could've potentially pulled the whole show under.

Luckily it didn't, because the storylines of series 4 are particularly fascinating. Yes, Aidan Turner and Russel Tovey are hard acts to follow. And truthfully I don't like the new vampire and werewolf as much. But the writing really carries this series. There is a vampire prophecy about a baby born to 2 werewolves, a creepy ghost babysitter in the 4th episode, and the introduction of intriguing new vampire enemy Cutler. Also we still have the charming and engaging (and beautiful) Lenora Crichlow playing Annie.

So despite a major shake up of cast, the show still manages to shine. A pity that the following (and final) series saw a terminal decline in quality. What was once so great became dull and forgettable. But before that, we had this fascinating penultimate series 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on Series Five!, 10 Aug 2012
Mr. A. McMullan "One DVD at a Time" (Belfast, Norn Iron) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I've never written a review bfore, so please bear with me.

This was EXCELLENT! At several points throughout the story, I felt genuinely moved by the level of emotional connection with the characters. Being a long-term viewer of this series, the substitution and replacement of the main characters was a bit of a shock, but once over that I was able to begin empathising with the new ones. There is ,as always, a certain amount of cheesiness when dealing with werewolves and vampires in this day and age, but this show has managed to capture the essence of three people with different "conditions" trying to be as human as possible. they did this splendidly.
The final clip of the last episode when the three friends are sitting in the living room, quietly content in each others' company ... that's what Being Human is all about. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Despite new cast, still as amazing as ever!!!!, 18 Mar 2012
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I was a little worried after the end of series 3 and then with the watching if the first episode of this series purely because we loose 3 out of 4 of the original main cast.

Worry not! Despite missing them at times, the new characters which take their place still offer the same humor, fight against their nature and witty comments that the series has always boasted. Annie is back but as you know we loose Mitchel, George and Nina but in their place we have vampire newcomer Hal and werewolf from last series Tom. It is amazing to see that despite loosing what I thought were the core characters, that these new characters win your heart just like Nina,George and Mitchel did. The story still continues and the war against the vampires and werewolves and humans still rages on and as ever the unity of the werewolf, vampire and ghost not to mention Nina and George's baby Eve, all under one roof creates a mighty force to be reckoned with.

As ever, one of the best BBC series to date and proof that we do it the best since the US have tried and failed to replicate it!

Well written, scripted and acted, you will struggle to find a TV series quite like it.

Loving it more with each new episode,just can't get enough!

Cassandra220689

5.0 out of 5 stars Being Human Series 4, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I love this series. It was really entertaining and interesting. I would watch it over and over again. Recommend watching this

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing Series, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
At series 4, this show was in danger of getting a little repettative. So what do they do? Kill off the old cast and replace them with fresh faces... For many, this would have killed a show itself, however, somehow, Being Human got away with it and a further series followed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge fan, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Love this series and couldn't wait for the next instalment. Well written with a Classic British comedy twist. Really enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Returned for good reason, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I brought this before Xmas, arrived in good time. Once opened at Xmas we had two copies. I sent this one back & exchanged for the next series. They happily refunded me & saved me money on the next one. Relieved they willing did it all free of charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had to buy it, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
We lost the series when our recorder went down, so we had to buy the DVD. Not disappointed good viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars the end, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Even though series 4 is not the last series it is the last series with the original. Characters. Not as good as the first three but ends well and worth a watch 7out10

Being Human - Series 4 [DVD]
Being Human - Series 4 [DVD] by Lenora Crichlow (DVD - 2012)