FIFA Football (PlayStation Vita)
Price:£13.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 22 August 2012
OK first of all this is good game. There's a LOT wrong with it, but overall it's still a lot of fun.

As with all shiny new EA Sports games you have the usual gloss - snazzy menu screens and sequences during the game.
These ultimately give you the Stella Artois "reassuringly expensive" feel. However these effects are only temporarily beneficial, and there are many/endless times when you just wish the menu would load FAST and stop trying to look "nice" all the time.

The way things fade in and out and times you are waiting for the options like formations to load are very frustrating.

The best thing is the rear touch screen shooting. This automatically gives the advantage of ALL future football games to the vita over anything else. This gives you pin point accuracy when shooting and taking penalties. You can (if your player isn't a donkey) purposefully aim penalties to go in off the post giving the keeper no chance. It's that accurate. Although still a bit of a risk at times. Depends on the size of you plums. ;)

The commentary is rubbish and badly sequenced and very quickly out of date. If you pick a club that's in league 2 and take them to the premiership and win the Champions League 4 times they will still talk about how hard it will be to get out of league 2 (for example). The commentators will ask each other questions and the other won't reply. They will shout hysterically when the ball rolls softly into the keepers arms on occasion. But most football games have these issues, seems no one has ever bothered to sort this out. They should use more 'stock' phrases and not try and be too specific. Granted it's improved from the old "And here come *5 second pause* Liverpool who are playing *5 second pause* Derby County" but it's not improved as much as it could and Fifa are one of the worst offenders.

I love the manager stuff though. Good transfer system. Although there's Not as much detail as PES as paying better coaches, medical staff and agents that overall improve your team so players improve quicker, recover from injury quicker and you can sign better players easier and cheaper. This is a bit of a miss really. I'd also like to change the away kit of my team and this isn't possible or not very obvious.

You also get some strange scores as well. It's mostly a pretty easy game even when in the hardest setting. So I don't think you would enjoy playing this for too long. A lot of times you can win 5-2 (clean sheets for me at least are difficult!). Occasionally though you can be beating a team 3-0 as normal, cruising along, and then suddenly the game decides you should draw. You can be as cautious as you like but the game creates a number of unlikely scenarios so that the other team that was easily contained suddenly score 3 goals in 10 minutes. A bit annoying really. Fortunately it doesn't happen THAT often, but it's far too obvious when it does.

Overall a good game but feels a bit like style (and official names) over actual game play. PES is still the winner between these 2 for it's no fuss and total commitment to the player and LONG term. Fifa seems to wow at first but doesn't have the longevity that PES has. However, up to now we have no choice so it's fifa only. So those reviews saying "best handheld football game ever!!" are correct, but only because PES isn't available.

I am a neutral gamer, I've owned both PES and fifa across the years and until recently was firmly in the fifa camp after many years of megadrive playing of fifa. So when I say PES is better I mean that from a personal and balanced view. I'm not a fanboy of either and generally try both games with open minds before concluding. I have found fifa to be annoying the last couple of years though. However this will adequately fill the gap until PES decides to pull it's finger out. I've played fifa 2013 on the Vita as well, and have decided to stick to this version as it's EXACTLY the same. Save yourself £20 and buy this game and scribble "2013" on the front of the box.
on 14 July 2012
I brought my Vita and a few games as I was travelling long haul and got bored with poor on-plane entertainment.

Fifa was the first game I played as I have it on my Xbox 360. And I have to say in most aspects it is a better game.

There were alot of annoyances in the console version and many of them have been dealt with here, some remain but it is much better. Things like random red cards from quality tackles teleporting goal keepers to save shots etc.

The one real annoyance with this game is the "super human" skill of certain players. Andy Carrol, Rooney and some others cannot be tackled and have all the skills and tricks and can run from anywhere on the pitch and if they do not pass they will almost definately score. Andy Carrol rinsed me in 12 minutes (on match clock) I was 3 nil down and I had not touched the ball once for the first goal. They kicked off, ran in and out of every player I had with every trick in the world and lobbed my keeper who was stood on the line but could not save it as it was Carrol. Next goal, I get fouled shortly after kick off, no foul given Carrol picks up the ball near the half way line runs through everyone and kicks it from near the corner of the box and in. Goal 3 was a replica of goal 2.

Apart from meeting the odd "super human" this game is fantastic, it can be played very tactically and against equal opponents on world class you get some really close games. There are some given easy scores which you can most of the time get in a game so actually losing can be avoided if you are not bothered how you score/win.

The career mode is pretty complete and is a true epic feature of a handheld footie game. It makes the game feel so much like the console version that I have not used the console version since I've had it.

Graphics are fantastic, controls are easy and the rear touch pad makes the scoring element even more satisfying when you blast in a 30 yard screamer to exactly where you placed. The commentory can be a bit repeative but that is the same for all EA sport games.

All in all if you have a Vita and you have some (even small) interest in football or football games this is a must.

Fifa 13 for Vita I am sure will be out soon, but I struggle to see where much improvement can come from so don't bother waiting and enjoy this game now before EA do something silly and ruin it.
on 5 July 2012
Overall this game was very good, a mixture of FIFA 11/12 for PS3/XBOX.

I love the new innovative features like touching the screen to pass, so you can control exactly where you want to pass, you can still use the buttons if you prefer. I love using the back touch pad to shoot, for example touch top right of touch pad, and your player will aim for the top right corner of the goal, so it makes it much easier to aim. Yet again if you don't like using this, buttons can be used.

The only slight problems I found is that it didn't contain the Ultimate Team mode but didn't bother me too much as I can play that on the PS3. Another is that you couldn't sync your virtual pro, so if you've made an amazing virtual pro on your PS3, you'll have to start again on your Vita.

Overall it's a good game, very similar to FIFA's on consoles, just with the additional features mentioned above, that you can take on the go. I bought this game mainly for when I'm on the go as you can easily play the offline game for many hours, whereas once you complete other games, they get boring to redo.
on 15 November 2012
I bought for my 15 year old nephew who is FIFA mad, he absolutely loved it, would definately recommend to buy for this age group
on 23 February 2012
This is for sure the best football game there has ever been on a handheld. The experience is very close to that of the home consoles,
great graphics a solid engine and all the features we have come to expect and love such as career mode, all the cups and most importantly, ONLINE!
This feature was lacking from the 3DS version of the game, and to be honest it is really a joke to even compare the two versions as this one is more
or less the 360 or ps3 version.

As I said, the best football handheld ever. A must buy for footie fans with a Vita.
on 7 May 2012
I Just got my PS vita and Fifa Football just a few days ago. I've been a PES fan for over 10 years. I've tried Fifa games before and know how realistic they are, but this is the first Fifa game I really play a lot (They don't have a PES on Vita yet). At first, I was skeptical about how a next-gen HD football game can be transported onto a handheld device. But how i was wrong! This is every inch a Fifa game would appear on a big console. The graphic is amazing for a handheld device. When you zoom into the player's faces, they are incredibly detailed - true HD graphic. However the small screen size means that it can be difficult to see actions on the far side of the pitch. Well this is normal I suppose, since it is played on a handheld screen. But it does capture a lot of fun.

On the game play side, the addictive career mode is ported perfectly from the console version. It is hard to imagine but I've been spending as much time on this portable game as I would have on the PS3. The difficulty is really challenging. If there is something that it lacks, I would say it's the ball's physic. I notice that the ball does not seem to curl as it does on PS3's FIFA 10 and 11. I guess it was due to the limited processing capability of the Vita, but I could be wrong. But apart from that, Vita offers a more satisfying game play than even the console's version. You can pass by tapping the front screen. This allows more accurate passing than when executed with bottom - but I find it rather awkward since your right hand must frequently obstruct the field of vision. On the other hand, the rear touch pad allow you to shoot with pinpoint accuracy. This is a very big deal. I find it unfamiliar at first, but once you got used to it, there is no going back. You feel like you have complete control of the shot. I score tons of goal with rear touch pad. It really increase enjoyment and depth of the game.

This is a solid FIFA game. If I have to compare it to PES, I would say the action on the pitch is better in FIFA but the goals are a bit less satisfying. FIFA's instant replay and after-match highlight replay really leave a lot to be desired. This is a minor point and should really be addressed. But limited replay could be the result of limited hardware resource of the handheld device. The celebrations are also limited and look pathetic rather than glorious. And as I mention above, ball's physic seems to be less enhanced which takes away the realistic feel when you score. These are all minor points but when they add up, can take a lot of fun away. Still I can say without hesitation that this is the best handheld football game on the market. I hope PES would come out on Vita as well so that we can compare between these two games.
on 24 April 2012
When it comes to playing games I always find myself spending more time on either Fifa or Pro Evo than any other type of game. So far that has been the case with my PS Vita.

I originally bought a Nintendo 3DS because that was the best handheld console to play Fifa on. Not long after and the PS Vita was released! I compared the two and there is really no comparison. The size of the screen, processing power and touch capabilities were all too much to resist.

On to the game. I have just completed my first season in career mode and love it every bit as much as I did at the start. Surprisingly by favourite thing about the game is being able to use the back panel as a goal. When in a shooting position you just treat the back panel as a goal and touch what part you are aiming for. The power is determined by how long you touch the panel for.

I've not really used the touch screen much when playing, I find touching the screen blocks a lot of what is going on and makes it harder. The controls are perfectly fine for me, although I can see the touch screen being good for through balls.

The below is how I would rate the game on a scale of 1 to 10.

Graphics 9. The split scenes are very good, although players faces aren't very accurate.

Sound 8. A lot better than it used to be, commentary is now bearable!

Game play 8. Very smooth with just the odd drop in frame rates sometimes.

Longevity 9. Lots of game modes, online functions and career modes.
on 20 June 2012
FIFA on the vita,what more do you need to say! Amazing. First game I got for vita and still my most played.
on 20 October 2013
Can't stop playing this game, it's really good! The thing that sets it apart from an ordinary fifa game is the option to use the touch pads to shoot and pass. Whilst using the back touch pad on the vita is great for shooting, passing isn't that great using the front touch pad. But overall it's a good game
on 25 February 2013
Having played FIFA on PS2 then XBOX360 I was intrigued to see how the PS Vita version compared - the answer is very well. Graphics are great for a hand held and all the functionality is there. Personally I think the game play is actually slightly better than on the other platforms. The price is good too and I'm glad I chose to buy this version rather than 13 as the cost was difficult to justify. If you like FIFA titles this is for you.