4.0 out of 5 stars Heylin being Heylin
The bad news is that many people will probably not like this book. But we need a Springsteen book like this. We need Heylin to do for Bruce what he has done for Bob so many times.

Up until the last few months all Bruce books seemed to offer only glowing portraits of Bruce and all his work. Dave Marsh set the tone with his 2 biographies, which were so devoid of...
Published on 29 Nov. 2012 by Bornintime

3.0 out of 5 stars The Clue's in the cover picture..
Whilst a degree of criticism is welcomed, and there are books that share that point of view, the most telling thing for me in this book is that the author is clearly of the opinion that Bruce peaked with the Wild , The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle, and that anything that was written, played, discarded or recorded post that album was naturally a let-down. Now, I don't...
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Was Sent The US Edition...., 2 Feb. 2013
I would view this book as being for completists only. A word of
warning, though.....I ordered this tome from Amazon.uk because
the British edition was supposed to contain roughly 100 more
pages than the American version. However, I was sent the US
edition - from England!!
Still, I would have to give `E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days Of
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band' a thumb-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, meticulous piece of work, 12 Sept. 2013
Heylin has done his work here. Meticulously researched, highly detailed and critical. Heck of a job. I must admit that his asides about Jon Landau made me laugh - so bitchy. I don't agree with Heylin's take on everything here, but this is essential reading for anyone with an interest in this phase of Bruce's long career. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great primer, 25 Jan. 2013
This review is from: E Street Shuffle (Kindle Edition)
The one thing Clinton Heylin does well is to express a strong opinion in a provocative and often humorous style. As a fan of Mr Springsteen for 35 years I think this has a lot to recommend it as it chimes with many of my feelings about his career. Why leave off so much good work from official album releases?..I think Clinton Heylin invokes the level of psychological pain, terror and anxiety that has certainly dogged Bruce in terms of time spent in the studio trying to reach for the ineffable. And the end products have not been as good as they could have been and Heylin does a good job of arguing this by accounting for the endless sessions, rewrites and discards that are a part of Bruce's creative processes. There is much here that in time should form the basis of other analyses rather than the usual hagiographic and stale accounts of Bruce's career. I came away from this more convinced than ever that Bruce is one of the great artists and with a renewed sympathy for and insight into the challenges of an artist operating in a populist medium. I can now listen to the many unreleased tracks I have accumulated with a greater sense of context.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opinionated..., 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: E Street Shuffle (Kindle Edition)
... and all the better for it. Full of useful information even if I don't always agree with his conclusions or values.One of the better boss books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Springsteen illuminated, 17 Feb. 2013
P. F. Clayden "pclayden" (Dizzy London) - See all my reviews
Perhaps says it all that Clinton ends this book after Born in the USA. I would consider myself a casual Bruce fan and my understanding that the first two albums were poor has been shattered. Like all good music books this one sends you back to the music - and how great those albums sound.
Fortunately even the most obscure songs described in the book are available somewhere and it is incredible discovering them with their context so well documented in this book.
Particularly valuable is the detailed song listing at the back of the book.
Bruce's Catholic influences are fascinating. As well as other influences like Dylan, Van Morrison and even The Band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 25 Jun. 2014
Essential reading for any Bruce fan. Great to see all the tracks recorded but not released for each album. What more can we say but buy it to find out about the history of each album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book as a Xmas present but when ..., 21 Dec. 2014
I bought this book as a Xmas present but when I was flicking through it I became hooked on some of the facts. I can't wait for my husband to finish it so I can read it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all Bruce Fans!, 9 Jan. 2014
A great read for all Springsteen fans. Tells a brilliant story with great photographs of Bruce and the Band - fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars and some of them are much better., 7 Sept. 2014
Well worth reading but there are a lot of books about Bruce, and some of them are much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars E Street Shuffle, 31 Dec. 2012
Mr. K. White - See all my reviews
Bought as a present for my wife. She absolutely loves it. I'm sure that I will, once I can get my hands on it.

E Street Shuffle