Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 25 January 2014
As a twitter follower of FSF, I was eagerly expecting the same out-there, ballsy attitude from her book. This is less fox and more chicken because - Whoops - that refreshingly frank perspective just wasn't there. I felt for her as she eloquently (although, listen up FSF editor: it - her 'pain' - rambled in places) took us on her journey through the anguish and emotion she experienced while going through her divorce. I could certainly recognize and sympathize with her feelings- frankly if you can't, you don't have a heart you have a hard drive instead. There were two themes competing with each other: the divorce and how her career in Fleet Street and the world of papers kicked off. I REALLY wanted to know about her career. Countless other writers have done the relationship meltdown So Much Better. Nonetheless she has made it to the top in a difficult profession (which is why I bought the book and the title would lead you to assume that the book is indeed about this journey). Sadly there wasn't enough insight into how she got there or the ins and outs of her career as a writer. There were perhaps a dozen-too-many scenes where everyone trotted off to the pub to get drunk.
on 28 December 2013
Badly written, self-indulgent memoir of a self-obsessed brattish journo, but hey, she's making money from it! Not worth bothering with.
on 27 February 2013
Disclosure I have followed the Fleet Street Fox on twitter and read her blog for a couple of years and chased her for this book having read a chapter or two on the internet... I have to say I have not been disappointed by the final outcome.
It seems strange to say that you enjoyed reading some of the excrutiating details of the breakdown of a person's marriage, but when it is told in such an engaging way you really have to! It is a joy to read the unmasking of some of the goings on in the "Street of Shame" (not her words) that has you laughing out loud many times.
Well woth spending money on
on 19 May 2013
I could not finish this book which is very unusual for me as I make an effort to finish almost every book that I have purchased. The main reasons being; I could not connect with any of the Characters in fact I did not even care what happened to them. It is a strange account of a break up and instead of feeling sorry for the girl who was dumped I just found her annoying, over dramatic and slightly deranged! Perhaps it would have improved later on but you need to be able to get passed the first quarter of the book to find out.... I simply could not be bothered.
on 12 April 2013
The book was filled with the sharp wit and angry satire that typifies Fleet Street Fox's blog and column. However, it was rather indulgent and at times, annoyingly moany. She talks on-and-on-and-on about her divorce, often in a stream-of-consciousness fashion, which does not relate to her newspaper roles. It read at times like an episode of Jeremy Kyle.
on 29 December 2013
Before I bought this book I read all the negative comments, but having followed FSF on Twitter for some time, I bought it anyway

Yes it's all about her story, but it's a great story. Having been divorced I can relate to some of Foxy's experiences too. Took me a couple of days to read, and I looked forward to the next instalment each day
on 24 June 2013
The author's marriage breakup formed an hilariously funny first chapter. Unfortunately, the author used as the basis for the entire book and in doing so, undermined both her talent and likeability.
on 25 May 2013
I had really high hopes for this book, but found by half way I was forcing myself to carry on, and not enjoying it at all.

Divorce is obviously a hard time, but the book felt like one giant long whinge about how much of a victim she was during hers.

I found the book repetitive, boring and full of self-pity.

Would have been better titled "The Diary of a thirty something divorcee who happens to be a journalist"

I would not recommend this book unless you are also going through a divorce - otherwise it's impossible to relate to.
on 17 July 2014
You'd think that a book with this title would be a diary about the interesting stuff, i.e. the inner workings of Fleet St. Instead what you get is a self-pitying divorce diary. If that's what you're looking for then by all means buy it, but don't be fooled by the title of the book as I was. Really disappointed.
on 15 June 2013
This book did not match the description in the slightest. Just seemed to winge on about divorce despite having successful career, nice house, skinny etc. the bits about journalism were interesting but no where near as exciting as hoped. Really struggled to finish the book.