Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 22 February 2015
The story is about a girl called Jackie who lives in the City. She loves to crawl in the dumpsters and bring things home from it. She found a garden gnome broken in pieces in a dumpster. It's was her mothers birthday soon , and she thought it would be nice to give her the garden gnome as a gift. She fixed up the garden gnome and called it Mr Skip.
The most interesting thing about Mr Skip is that he comes alive - he can talk but doesn't move. He makes miracles happen. The best part is that she loves horse racing and her Grandma has a pet donkey called Barnaby . My favourite part in the story is when Barnaby wins a race and goes 40 miles per hour.
In the end they lose the €1m race but still get €500,000 euros from a film producer for their story, and can now move to the country and have a pet horse called Skippy.
My favourite character was Mr. Skip.
This book made me laugh in places.
I would give this book 1000 out of 1000, and I recommend it.
on 23 August 2013
A good read, interesting plot and good, 'alive' characters. Only reservation: I am not that fond of magical forces that give empowerement to disempowered children !
Still, I would recommend the book to any 8-11 year old boy or girl
on 2 June 2015
This book brings thought of the people who don't have much and have to find things from the skip . I recommend this book for 7 onwards. It has always been a pleasure to follow the story line of our famous author Michael morpurgo
on 7 December 2014
This is an amazing book, would recommend for readers 5-9 with 7 being the perfect age, the best part was the beg ginning and middle as the ending is a bit of a cop out so to speak but still a great book.
on 25 April 2013
Got this item for my daughter, she is 8 years old and loves the books. She has now got and read most of them and has her class mates reading as well in school.
on 5 May 2016
My grand daughter loves this book and her mum is almost fed up of reading it to her. Looking forward to when she can read it for herself.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 January 2013
Jackie lives with her mother in a high-rise appartment sparsely furnished from salvaged items from the estate skip. She dreams of owning and riding a horse like the boys in the neighbourhood in Ireland. A broken garden gnome from the skip is lovingly restored by Jackie. His gratitude is expressed by using his magical powers to transform her Aunt's lazy donkey into a superfast media star that changes the family fortunes. A charming tale for 6-7 year olds to read by or be read to. My granddaughter loved it and her mother has used it in her primary school class (along with Morpurgo's other works) in small installments, she tells me, to keep up the suspense. A touch of magical Irish blarney from a gnome works wonders. Delightful.
on 2 December 2015
Another wonderful story, my 8 year old Son loved this one. Always happy with Michael Morpurgo books, fantastic for children written in a way that children understand and they get right into the stories. Would highly recommend, looking for books to read with your children, Michael Morpurgo Books are the way to go!
on 17 November 2010
We read this to our 6 year old granddaughter and we all loved it. The best book we'd read in a long time. A reluctant reader, she then went off and read it herself several times. It is a delightful, funny and magical story with a completely satisfying ending. Highly recommended.
on 19 February 2013
I rated this book 5 stars because of the creativity and imaginary used to bring characters to life as and to make the reader feel part of the moving story.