5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best
After much searching and trying out of tea infusers, I find this type the best, and this one is a bit bigger than most, giving the tea leaves loads of room to move while they are brewing. It's also an attractive-looking product.

Published 23 months ago by puddleshark

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Fine Tea
Published 3 months ago by James

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best, 17 May 2012
puddleshark (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews

Fits most mugs, only it is a bit too deep for quite small/shallow cups or mugs (e.g. in my extensive range of mugs I have one type which it is too big for). However, overall I'd say the bigger size is more of a plus than a minus, means it can be used in a teapot as well and I prefer slightly larger mugs anyway.

The holes are very small both on sides and bottom of infuser, which is important and where many infusers fall down.

Basically, buy it - it's great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice strainer, 13 July 2012
Good for using leaf tea. Doesn't seem to clog up with tannin. The green bit is slightly rubberised. A stylish product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly, 22 July 2013
C. J. Richardson "foop" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stainless Steel Tea Strainer with Anti Slip Handles - 0.5mm Micro Filter - Black (Kitchen & Home)
A tea strainer has to do two things well:

1) Let the hot water get at the tea.
2) Stop the tea getting out.

Sounds obvious, doesn't it? You would be amazed at the number of tea strainers that fail to do this. The commonest failing is to have enormous holes that let fine leaf tea into your cup, turning it into some sort of primitive brown snow globe.

This strainer does its job brilliantly. It has hundreds of tiny holes (a 0.5mm mesh) that keep the tea in the strainer but let the hot water percolate through. It's large, and holds plenty of tea with room to spare for it to gently swirl around as it infuses. The lid doubles as a stand to catch drips once you're done. It's also easy to clean; the flexible plastic handles can be removed during cleaning if needed.

If you have tiny tea cups or a gigantic mug, this may not be for you. The business end, the part that goes in the cup, is ~5.5 cm across at the top and ~7.5cm tall. The handles are 10cm from edge to edge across the top of the strainer. I use my strainer in a mug and it fits perfectly.

Coping with everything from an incredibly fine-leafed Assam to a chunky gunpowder tea, this strainer has never let me down. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient, 3 Oct 2012
8cm deep, 10cm handle to handle (so you couldn't use it in a mug that was more than 10cm across for example)

This is an ideal alternative to using a tea ball for making loose leaf tea. The strainer is wide enough to fit a teaspoon in easily if you like to stir the leaf as you make the tea and the very fine holes ensure that even small leaves don't filter through into your cup.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a tea strainer, 22 July 2013
It strains tea and is reasonably easy to clean. It doesn't work for larger mugs as the handles don't reach far enough but otherwise fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice contemporary tea strainer, 9 May 2013
An ideal gadget for those that don't ned to use a teapot every time. fits all my mugs, big and small. Too tall for regular teacups but you can get shorter ones - and if we are getting out the best china instead of a mug we will probably use a teapot anyway. Love the bright colours - we have a green and a pink. Dishwashes well and should last.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice cup of tea, 19 April 2013
I've made one nice cup of tea with this and it was nice. It seems well made, but time will be needed to be certain. The strainer sits well into the cup and allows good diffusion. The rubber grips slip off which could be an advantage for cleaning or a disadvantage since they could be lost. Hold it up to the light and admire the interesting moire patterns the holes create by diffracting light and magnifying the holes on the opposite side!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for Fine Tea, 9 Jan 2014
I bought this filter for use with Twinings Assam tea, which is very fine. Having spent over ten pounds on this particular filter, I fully expected to have no tea slipping through the filter. Much to my dismay, this is exactly what happened. Only a little slips through mind you, but it's enough to give you pause at the end of your cup so as to avoid the foul taste that accompanies swallowing tea leaves.

I'm yet to discover whether or not there is such thing as a filter that prevents any leaves filtering through whatsoever. Perhaps it is perfectly normal to get some amount of leaves at the bottom of your cup, which would of course render my critique of this tea filter a poor one, but at the very least, consider this a heads-up on the nature of this tea filter and perhaps of tea filters in general.

Update: I purchased the tea filter on here labelled 'One-cup Tea infuser/ strainer with stainless steel mesh' and not only did it arrive the day after ordering, that being on the cheaper delivery option, but also it has done what this strainer hasn't - it strained every last bit of tea out of my cup. This renders my critique of this strainer valid, and if you are using fine tea leaves I recommend this cheaper alternative.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just the right strainer, 11 July 2013
I was looking for a tea strainer with microfilter as I was sick of drinking tea leaves. This microfilter is fantastic. No more mouthfuls of tea leaves. It also comes with a great lid to keep out the dust. I never buy anything other than stainless steel or ceramic for brewing tea, so this is a fantastic product as it satisfied all my requirements!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 5 April 2013
Product is as described (by seller and other reviewers). Fits nicely in my mugs, big enough to allow the loose tea to move around and brew well. The mesh is fine enough to stop the little bits getting through (I drink mostly chamomile and jasmine). Good quality and I love the design. Arrived promptly and I would definitely recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›