5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money!!
I have had this MP3 player for around two weeks now, maybe a little early to write a review, but, in the short time I have had it, I cannot praise it enough!. I paid around £23.99 for the player, which was despatched via Amazon. I was a little sceptical at first, after reading some reviews from people who had purchased the same player with bigger memory, and had had...
Published 22 months ago by G. S. Pritchett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value
This is good value for the price. Really easy to load with music. However it is not so easy to find what you want when it is loaded. The screen is tiny & navigating to your choice is tricky.
Published 21 months ago by Goodasgold

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sony NWZB172 2GB Walkman MP3 Player with USB - Red (Electronics)
perfect, love it

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 3 Oct. 2013
KK "reader" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This walkman is fairly easy for a techno-phobe to use. I bought it so I could download music from a choir I belong to. I've only had it for 2 days but one thing I'm not too happy about is how short a time the screen stay illuminated for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound quality, great battery life... BUT..., 29 May 2013
Some great points with this, and some really not so great ones too.

Pros:
- Great sound quality!
- Battery life is fantastic too. Full charge takes about an hour and will play for nearly 20hrs without being recharged.
- Comes with a handy clip that's optional to put on the back of it. I'm using it, and finding that its a real boon.

Cons:
- My ears hurt! The sony in-ear earphones that come with this product are huge! They do give great sound quality, but my ears are very sore, so I'm going to have to buy some to replace these - which is very disappointing. That awesome sound quality probably won't be the same with a cheap replacement... so its really frustrating to have to shell out again for a pair of quality earphones (that wont hurt my poor ears).

- Operation of the MP3 player is very clunky and awkward. There's this stupid 'zappin' button on it that also doubles as the 'bass' boost... ugh. I hate listening to music with bass boost on, it gives me a headache (even if its my fav music i'm listening to!). That stupid zappin thing, honestly I don't know what useful purpose this serves! It plays the first few seconds of every song and then makes an annoying sound and skips to the next! Useless! And this button is on the side next to the volume control, I don't know how many times I've hit this by accident! And because this button doubles as the bass and zappin, it takes a few mins and a bit of frustration to get BOTH the zappin and the bass off. Very annoying!

- Navigating within folders/songs is also a bit tricky on this device. And I don't know where the logic was in the design of this device... but in order to set 'loop/repeat/shuffle' on the player, you've got to come out of the main 'music' folder entirely and go into 'settings' - easier said than done with the clunky operations! Some albums I want to listen to in order, other playlists of random music I like to listen to randomly on a repeat shuffle... and its such a pain having to constantly be trying to switch between these music/settings folders (especially when you keep hitting off that stupid 'zappin/bass' button!). Ideally, I'd like to replace that silly zappin button with a loop/repeat/shuffle button! The 'hold' button does come in handy to avoid hitting this unintentionally, but obviously not while you're trying to change settings on the device. It's not very user friendly at all!

Overall, this is a just okay product. I'm not really sure if I'd recommend it or not. There's no FM radio on it either, which is unfortunate. For the price, I suppose its fine. But there are significant shortcomings with this product, in my opinion. I'd really like to give it 2.5 out of 5 but since I can't do that... I'm giving it a 3 star rating because the sound quality and battery life is excellent. And it is straight forward enough to transfer music etc. onto it from my windows vista computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working OK so far., 17 May 2013
S. Thompson - See all my reviews
I bought this for my son who is autistic and has a learning disability so didn't want to spend too much as he is quite rough with them. He already had an older Sony version of this so he knows how it works.
I can't fault it so far but I had read mixed reviews so have waited a couple of weeks to comment but so far so good. It sounds good is easy to use and can play most formats. I will update if we have any problems with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony NWZB172 2GB Walkman MP3 Player with USB, 14 May 2013
Arrived pretty fast, this one is to replace the earlier model, which after 7yrs is suffering from battery failure, if this one lasts that long, I won't complain... It needs some time to study the settings before you are able to set it up exactly as you want, but at least it is achievable, even if a bit fiddly... Good for the price, would have given it 5 star if it were possible to change the battery....

Update. 07/08/2013

Wife is not happy with it, as it is almost impossible to pick it up without changing the settings, also found the volume would not adjust, could not get it out of zappin mode without resetting the whole thing, very annoying and very fiddly, not very user friendly...

The volume button is banjaxed, after a few months of use, if you touch it, it goes to zero and will not work, the only way to get it working again is to re-initialise it, then re-set it to how you want it, very annoying as you're stuck with the default volume setting and can't adjust...

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
Not bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Aug. 2014
not bad

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for the serious runner/gym goer, 29 April 2013
Fabulous sound, easy to use and great if you are standing stock-still somewhere silent - useless when running or in the gym. I bought the red one, it looks lovely but I can barely read the display against the horrible pink background. The Zappin feature is pointless. The thing keeps flashing which is irritating but I could get rid of that. The bass is too much but you can alter it. Deafness warning: the volume alert sounds before you can even cover the background gym noise. But what makes it completely unusable for sport for me is that when it's clipped on, the round button and its circular surround control are so sensitive that every time my clothing brushed against it the music stopped or jumped. Very disappointing, have had to go back to my old MP3 player.

1.0 out of 5 stars bin job, 6 Sept. 2013
S. neary (Alexandria UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this and quite luckily with amazon that gave me a gift certificate so I only really wasted £11. But I bought it as am wxcersice aid. So it arrived promptly and I thought "great" so I spent the evening loading it up with music and the next morning tried it out.

For some reason it only wanted to play one track repeatedly, and then when I tried to fast forward it it went to record. So I was listening to a frustrated me trying to get it to work whilst trying to have a work out. This got unbearable and in the end I ripped it off and threw it. Best place for it. I think I will go back to my iPod. It went and still is in the bin.