4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Edge Contemporary Country
Tim McGraw stands at the cutting edge of contemporary country pushing at the boundary between country and rock music in a way that probably offends many country "purists". This is not hat music and the opening track "Halo" has spiralling rock guitars which emphasise how McGraw blurs distinctions.

But then, with "Right Back At You" and "One Part Two Part" (with...
Published on 24 Jan 2012 by Angel Delta

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Album
Published on 1 Feb 2012 by Kevan James

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Edge Contemporary Country, 24 Jan 2012
Angel Delta (Southsea Hants) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)

But then, with "Right Back At You" and "One Part Two Part" (with wife, Faith Hill, providing backing vocals), he's back in firm country territory with steel guitar and Nashville sound albeit with "edge".

The album title is derived from a line in the compelling mid tempo ballad "Only Human" which Tim performs with rhythm and blues star Ne Yo and ringing acoustic and electric guitars further underline his boundary bursting commitment.

Perhaps the clue to McGraw's superstar status is his ability to bend genres while remaining firmly within the country arena. "Felt Good On My Lips" is reminiscent of Jimmy Buffet's laid back beach party style while "Die By My Own Hand" is pure Daniel Lanois. Electric guitars, drums and pedal steel create a shimmering, swirling, echoing wall of sound but doesn't threaten to overwhelm McGraw's dramatic delivery. Meanwhile, "Touchdown Jesus" is tinged with the sound of Lindsey Buckingham's Fleetwood Mac era.

Nevertheless, the album is nicely balanced and there are some solid country ballads like "Better Than I Used To Be" and "One That Got Away" that have a more traditional sound.

There are 62 names credited on this album so this is a big production in every way. It features contributions from exponents of a variety of styles including crossover jazz, pop-rock, middle eastern music, classical and gospel which combine to form a complexity of sound but in a way that leaves the album undeniably country in feel and intent.

This is compelling 21st Century contemporary country music but it doesn't pretend to be easy listening. It's music for the demanding adult listener and a sophisticated rebuttal of the saccharine sounds that often pass for country music.

5.0 out of 5 stars McGraw kicks his label to the Curb, 24 Jan 2012
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
Emotional Traffic represents Tim's eleventh and final studio album with Curb Records and despite delivering the album to Curb in late 2010, the label have sat on the album for as long as possible due to this being the last album Curb would deliver of McGraw's. Sues and counter sues followed and the matter is due to be settled in front of a jury in July this year. In November 2011 a judge granted Tim the right to record for another music label and signified an end to his recording relationship with curb which began with his first self titled album in 1993.

As far as I'm concerned, a long time Tim McGraw fan, it's been far too long to wait for new material since he released Southern Voice way back in 2009. I've grown up with McGraw - Don't Take The Girl introduced me to the genre - and country music would be the poorer without him. It's about time he's been allowed to release new material and I'm just glad he's back with a huge bang with his latest album.

Emotional Traffic is typical McGraw and features the first of two singles to be released from the album Felt Good On My Lips and Better Than I Used To Be. For me the album has a funkier/rockier edge throughout and along with an overriding mid tempo feel it deserves to be cranked up either in the car or at home - it's quite an uplifting album that fans old and new alike will love. McGraw remains true to his roots with a subtle country twang with no better example than the opening track Halo.

His velvet and distinctive sound is there for all to hear and comes shining through on the edgy Die By My Own Hand. Touchdown Jesus is typical McGraw who delivers the track in a way only he can by telling a story and delivering an inspirational message, the song featuring miracles, hope and faith, a sick girl and a recovering addict.

In his second single, a wonderfully emotive acoustic number Better Than I Used To Be McGraw sings

I can finally stand the man in the mirror I see
I ain't as good as I'm gonna get
But I'm better than I used to be

And is certainly one of the stand out tracks on the album.

Ne-Yo joins Tim in the R&B with Only Human and the R&B feel continues with the infectious and upbeat Hey Now, arguably the best track on the album behind Better Than I Used To Be for me.

A terrific album, featuring guitar riffs, distinctive country and an R&B feel, Emotional Traffic is a positive album and I have to say it's good to have Tim back once again.

Key Tracks for me would include Hey Now, Better Than I Used To Be and One Part Two Part.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So Album, 1 Feb 2012
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
I think a lot of McGraw's more recent albums aren't particularly country-ish, more a sort of slickly produced 21st century version of country rock - you know, the sort of things that won't scare the horses middle-class America-wise, but they've had a certain polish and swagger that's appealed to me! I particularly liked the last album, "Southern Voice", and the one from a few years back, "Live Like You Were Dying", both of which were very AOR-sounding but with some great country nuggets hidden away in 'em.

That said, I can't say I feel quite the same about this one though! He's quoted as calling it, "My best album ever". To me it just rolls past without leaving much of an impression. Best bits are the "Felt Good on my Lips" and "Better Than I Used to Be" singles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly goog farewell album for curb, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
It must have been a huge relief for Tim to deliver this album to Curb to get out of his recording contract with them, but after doing so they released yet another hits album and kept this one on hold for another year. It makes me wonder why Tim released such a strong album as he will probably never sing most of the songs now, why would he want to promote it? But it's a shame as it's a solid collection of songs, and because of his departure, only 2 songs became hits: 'Felt good on my lips' and 'Better than it used to be', and even one of them was already included on the 'No.1's' album!

There is certainly a different feel to this album than the one that followed, his first for Big Machine 'Two lanes of freedom'. 'Emotional traffic' sounds like a album of reflection before moving on. But it's a great album and shouldn't be overlooked as many people seem to have done, the album still has not gone gold in America, and for Tim that's unthinkable!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
I bought this on a whim, but have enjoyed listening to it. I have not been disappointed with the songs

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good album, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
Tim is one of those artists like Garth Brooks and Faith Hill that just have that magic touch and can do no wrong in my book. Great album again and looking forward to the next.

Keep em coming Tim.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
like the last cd it is great to listen to as i am a fan of Tim McGraw it will be all the same reveiws thanks a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional traffic, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
I BOUGHT THIS ALBUM FOR 1 SONG ..FELT GOOD ON MY LIPS. BUT WAS PLEASENLY SUPRISED I LIKE THEM ALL .CANNOT HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT ENOUGH

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of tim McGraw for a long time. This is good but not Tim's best cd but still a good addition to my collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better the more times you hear it....., 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Emotional Traffic (Audio CD)
More Rock than Country... But its growing on us the more we listen.... - CD package was not sealed which was unusual

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Emotional Traffic
Emotional Traffic by Tim McGraw (Audio CD - 2012)