5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, that's us.
Published on 2 Dec. 2001 by Naturegirlj9

2.0 out of 5 stars Xenophobe' s guide to America
Published 10 months ago by Jai

5.0 out of 5 stars Yep, that's us., 2 Dec. 2001
An excellent level one primer on the American psyche. I got this book hoping for a laugh on us and to get an objective opinion on my fellow countrymen for an article I'm writing. It was too true to be funny. ;-) Not insulting, just plain true. I only found one or two mistakes and they were minor, dealing with slang that could be different in different regions of the States. There were a couple of parts that made me wonder, "You mean it's not like that all over the world?" (For example, the part about how every event in American life is structured so that someone wins and someone loses.)
For such a small book, it does just what it sets out to do, cover the surface. Worth the £.
For a more in-depth and very funny primer on Americans and the American psyche, I highly recommend Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Big Country" (US title: "I'm Just a Stranger Here Myself").

2.0 out of 5 stars Xenophobe' s guide to America, 23 April 2014
This review is from: The Xenophobe's Guide to the Americans (Xenophobe's Guides) (Kindle Edition)
<b> Xenophobe's Guide To The Americans </b> Stephanie Faulk<br/><br/>2.5 ish stars...<br/><br/>This was recommended to me on my hunt for the X... I was told it was funny. I didn't think it was as funny as it could have been. But for those of you attempting the Title alphabet there are a whole bunch of these.<br/><br/>It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I am a big fan of America. I have had some amazing times there and would happily sell a kidney or marry a weirdo for a green card...I have read articles in this vein, about both England and The States and laughed my backside off while reading. I was expecting the same sort of thing from this book, but this was a bit too cautions perhaps? I don't think this author got off the fence enough, possibly because if you're going to write this kind of thing, holding back is not the way to go and maybe it needs to be written by a stranger in a strange land...<br/><br/> I'm aware of the differences and I'm not above joking about the stereotypes with my friendly Americans ( or French /Africa/ German/ Finnish / Italians) about the foibles and differences between the nations, much as they are not above mocking us Brits. But this book just came across as incredibly bitchy, rather than affectionate teasing.<br/><br/> So - I was expecting something along the lines of that :) Instead I got a bunch of slightly spiteful personal observations...<br/><br/>According to this author... Americans don't 'get' banter (Some of the best banter I ever experienced was with the yanks lol). And they don't read books without pictures...And are fundamentally stupid... And obsessed with money. And have no class...And fail to understand Canada / Mexico are different countries...It started to annoy me somewhat by this point...<br/><br/>Unfortunately, This came across as too snidey in some of ways and that really made this lose a star, it gained half a star back however, as it did give some dummies explanations of confusing matters such as how / why Congress is elected and the purpose of the senate, or whatever way it goes round lol. <br/><br/>The only true LOL moment for me was the guy who sued a golf course because his own golf ball hit in the face...The most interesting thing in it was that after the whole Watergate thing Mr. Nixon became some kind of respected statesman due to his relations with China? and a Mayor who was elected while in jail...<br/><br/>I have no doubt there are better X books for your list. I <i> KNOW </i> there are better articles on this subject...

1.0 out of 5 stars As an American I didn't find this book funny at all, 25 Nov. 2014
This book revolves largely around one extended joke, that Americans don't have a sense of humour, and don't understand self-deprecation. As an American I didn't find this book funny at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overview of the American culture and mindset, 13 Oct. 2012
Being more than familiar with American culture through Hollywood movies and series, and a few trips to the States, I already knew everything in this book, but that didn't prevent it from being entertaining. This condensed review of American culture contains all the important things one should know to understand the country and its people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xenophobes Guide to the Americans., 11 Nov. 2013
This is an amusing series of books and effectively punctures the balloon of regional idiosyncrasies. Perhaps these guides may help us become a more tolerant world through the Kindle versions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would it be different today?, 12 May 2012
This is a short introduction to stereotypes about US people as seen by themselves. The Xenophobe books tend to be written by authors of the nationality they portray, though people who have been abroad, so that they have some perspective on their national foibles yet cannot be accused of ignorant stereotyping. I can't help but think that the intended market still is the own country. I laughed a lot reading the Xenophobe's guide to the Swedes, but found fewer chuckles in this bok on Americans, possibly because of missing shared assumptions about what is ridiculous.

This book is a couple of decades old now. One wonders if the US psyche has changed since it was written and the Culture of Fear would feature more prominently today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant., 11 May 2000
By A Customer
Written by an American, about Americans, this amusing booklet allows you to observe the personality traits of our (very) distant cousins without having to risk talking to any real Americans. Marvellous examples include Gun Culture, Feeling Good, Cars and the average American's view of the world beyond America (only 1 in 10 Americans have passports).

1.0 out of 5 stars Better buy other books from this series, 10 Dec. 2007
Americans don't seem to have a sense of humour about themselves. This book is not funny, it totally misses its point. In comparison to Xenophobes Guide to the British or the Germans, which both tell a hilarious truth, this book just wants to stay clear of any possible insult. And sorry, that is not what this series is about. This series describes various nations in a stereotypical way and nevertheless bears some truth. It ridicules specific ways of life, but in a "we like you anyway"-fashion. Don't buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jan. 2015