Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.89

on 25 October 2010
The cover image has no relevance that I can see to the contents of this book, but don't let that put you off. It's set in a small town in the north of Scotland where various private lives collide and interact - a couple in a failing marriage, their teenage son, the apparently cool, organised Relate counsellor whose own life is an emotional powder-keg, a frustrated Polish pizzamaker... Over the course of eight or nine months the author cleverly leads us through the emotional joys, follies and calamities of these and other characters, from the points of view and differing voices of four of them. The novel is a light and easy read, but it's not froth: it is funny, sexy and moving, and acute in the way it observes the knots that our wants and needs sometimes tie us up in. I was often brought to a pause because of the accuracy of Cynthia Rogerson's wit - which can be sharp but is never gratuitously cruel. A reviewer in The Guardian commented 'Voice and style in I Love You, Goodbye are consistently appealing and sassy: Rogerson is a master of fresh and sparky comic writing' - and I would concur with that.
on 10 November 2011
I love this book, each charater is so real and has such a uniquie voice! They are witty, real and wonderful. It is an enchnting read and a book you just can't put down! I would recomend this book to everyone - there is so much in there for any kind of reader. The humanity and depth of the charaters make it spellbinding - you want to know what will happen to them for the rest of thier lives! I hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did!
on 2 May 2012
This novel combines a totally realistic story line with totally plausible coincidences and chance meetings to ease the plot forward. The narrative is so carefully woven (through the reflections of each character) that it is impossible to determine where it is going, rendering it quite unputdownable.
on 17 April 2012
The author is local to where I live so I know Evanton well. It was great to be able to relate so closely to a book especially as the descriptions were so good. Easy to read with realistic characters. The plot is sometimes obvious but interspersed with surprises which keeps you on your toes.
on 2 May 2012
Got hooked into this novel and found it absorbing and difficult to put down. Characters believable. Not the ending I expected.
on 15 August 2014