Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 April 2012
Within 24 hours of first listening to this CD my acne cleared up and I became 23% more attractive to women. I also found a quid down the back of the sofa. I just don't know how Malcolm Middleton does it.

His excellent solo albums (under his own name rather than HDBA) used to regularly result in improved weather conditions, but this latest project is nothing short of phenomenal.

If I have one criticism of the album it's that I bought it expecting it to be a board game. My mild disappointment soon turned to contentment when I realised that I prefer hypnotic guitar-based loopy semi-intrumental music to board games.

Malcolm thoroughly deserves his nomination for Best Scottish Album
44 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2012
I went to see them live recently; they played songs off this album. Meticulous work, played with conviction - every song had sections or elements that surprised and thrilled me so that it was almost impossible not to be tuned in and experiencing the music fully. Mesmerising. When it was over the audience looked blown away.

What I'm saying is, money well spent unless you hate beauty.
on 14 May 2013
I little less downbeat than the usual Middleton fare and perhaps the better for it, though i must admit to missing the negativity.
on 9 March 2013
Malcolm goes from strength to strength with this album. My initial reaction to Malcolm putting his solo work to bed in favour of a new project was one of dismay, as I had found Waxing Gibbous to be amongst one of his finest works. However I was awestruck when I saw him playing HDBA live before this release, and the studio LP builds on the themes from and adds additional dimensions to the live versions.

Monologue: River and Asklipiio are absolute standout tracks.

Do yourself a favour and pick this album up, top marks for a great musician!
on 21 June 2013
one of my favorite albums of the year. I think a great album with great songs. Another marvel of Malcolm Middleton
on 6 April 2013
I am forty six years years old and hate hyperbole, this is in the top three albums I have ever bought, and I've bought a lot. 1st Person Singular.. bla bla (track 3) is just such a piece of work I could wet myself. Seriously, it's like the soundtrack to the best film never made. Buy it.
on 12 May 2013
Malcolm Middleton has done some terrific solo stuff and with Aab Strap. He is also not afraid to ry out new things, but this is woeful.