5.0 out of 5 stars Anjunadeep is evolving...
On this, the fourth outing in the annual Anjunadeep series - as if the name didn't give that away - James Grant and Jaytech put more clear blue water between it and the trance-driven Anjunabeats series.

Published on 5 Mar 2012 by Johnny Myo

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little too House for me
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by jonathonseagull

5.0 out of 5 stars Anjunadeep is evolving..., 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)

This time, and only on a few listens, I'll admit, I reckon Jaytech has slightly regained the upper hand with his more insistent mix (not that it's a competition, you understand), partly because I've become accustomed to this imprint's deeper sounds with undeniable dancefloor appeal, and because his own contributions of "Synergy" and "Overdrive" are among the most assured on the second disc (despite their Apprentice team name-style titles ;o).

That said, first listens can be deceptive, and my earlier reservations about the more downtempo, dream house-tinged vibe of James Grant's Disc 1 is giving way to a greater appreciation - there is some deep and dirty BASS on this mix. Martin Roth's "Beautiful Life" is taking no prisoners in this respect, while on Andrew Bayer's "You", a delicious hi-hat, horn and twinking "bell" effects join the orgy... I mean, party. And his remix (with Andrew Bayer) of Above & Beyond's "Prelude" elevates it from one of the more skippable tracks on their "Group Therapy" album to something altogether more compelling, and the one track it's easy to place on a dancefloor, with its understated, filtered breakdowns.

Vocals on Anjunadeep04 are ghosts of vocals, really - and that's not a criticism. What you're getting here is one disc of deep, laid-back sophistication - which gave me a similar feeling to Future Sound Of London's then-revolutionary "Lifeforms" did, back in the day, albeit that the technology has moved on A LOT, followed by an equally classy, driving progressive house collection with the emphasis on house.

Adrenaline-inducing big-room tunes might be slower to reveal themselves than on previous outings, but - do you know what - I feel as though, having led me to water with the Anjunadeep02 and 03, I've been educated by these guys to guzzle it down with relish. And no doubt I'll be back later, to add another star to this review...

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost there I think..., 28 May 2013
G. Sexton (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
After a lot of releases from this label and after reading some fine reviews on here, I think that CD1 is a true representation of what these guys have been trying to achieve.... only problem is that it's taken them long enough... and I've had to buy a lot of mixes... ( although it has been an enjoyable journey ) but to put buyers in the picture - this is a really good one... these guys are funny. I must say i've been playing Disk 1 in the car a lot the past few days...tracks 6, 11 and 13 really hit the spot, good stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars The jekyll and hyde of the series?, 9 April 2012
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
I've read a lot of reviews of this album, mainly on itunes admittedly, and most tend to favour the Jaytech mix on the second disk. However I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I really love James Grants atmospheric and more laid back tunes on disc 1. Its got stunning tracks from dusky, Andrew Bayer to name a few. In fact, I'd have to say that its probably my favourite mix of all the series. The problem for me personally is that for the most part I love the Anjunadeep series but every now and again I will find myself reaching for the skip button on the more synthesiser heavy tracks and jaytech seems to like his 80's style synthy stuff. Which is interesting because if you have heard Jaytech's own stuff its quite the opposite. Now, this kind of confuses me as the term progressive house would surely suggest that the genre is actually moving forwards as opposed to regressing to the 80's. For those Michael Cassette fans, you'll know exactly what I mean...his style of music is heavily influenced by 80's with his punchy and heavy synth hooks, but its not really my bag. That said, I absolutely love his mix of the oceanlab tune 'Come Home'. Having listened to the jaytech mix in the car on the way to work I was somewhat underwhelmed. I mean it was good but I didn't think it was great. For me it's not up there with Anjunadeep 03 or even 02 (01 is still in a class of its own). Still though, I wouldn't hesistate in recommending the album, the first disc is stunning and disc two is nice, if you ignore the odd synth heavy such as track 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Continues to Impress, 28 Feb 2012
Alan "carrd2" (Stafford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
After what was, in my opinion, a disappointing release of the latest Anjunabeats last year, I was hoping that Anjunadeep 4 wasn't going to drift into the same murkier waters. Beats 9 had changed compared to other volumes, to a style much less to my taste. However, I'm glad to say, Deep 4 has not done the same, and remains packed full of material that is on a par with the previous three releases. More to the point - it's still the same Anjuna house, which I feel deserves its own genre by now.
Once again, Jaytech and James Grant provide us with two excellent quality albums, which are mixed better and better every time. The first album by JG is quite slow in places, purely in relation to the tempo, and is more pure house if you like. CD2 by Jaytech, by contrast, almost verges on trance in some parts, especially with contributions from the likes of Oliver Smith and Soundprank, tracks which in my opinion almost belong on a Beats rather than a Deep. That said, even the most trance-like offerings still contain the funky beats and unmistakable basses which make them work on a Deep album.
I wouldn't say that there are as many stand out tracks as there are on previous albums, particularly the first volume, but that is likely to just be down to my own personal opinion. What I would say is that none of the tracks are bad and all flow very well; it's one of those albums that is best listened to from start to finish a few times. Overall, I would say that tracks are becoming more 'complex' than before; there seems to be a greater diversity of sounds packed into each track, probably owing to the technology that keeps evolving. I love simple songs personally, and I think trying to be too complex is one of the reasons Beats 9 was, for me, disappointing. However, this element of complexity is not spoiling the Deep label yet, and to be truthful I am in awe at some of the talent that JG & Jaytech have dug out for us.
Overall, it's another classy and unique offering and well worth a purchase if you're after a splash of Deep house genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
Received on time and make pleasurable listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 1 Mar 2012
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
The best Anjunadeep for me so far. Disc 1 has slow, chilled out tracks then disc 2 gets a little faster and more lively. Absolute must for all Anjunadeep fans, you will not be dissapointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a little too House for me, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Anjunadeep04 (Audio CD)
This is, by no means a bad compilation, I don't think that Anjunadeep/Anjunabeats are capable of producing such a thing. I have been following both for a while, and although it has its high moments (my favourites being the Tom Middleton Liquatech mix of No Gravity, and Soundprank's Boundless Energy), I fear that it has lost some of the Trance feel present on the older mixes, and gone for a slower more Housey vibe instead. That for me drags it down more than anything else, which is a shame since I really wanted to like Anjunadeep 04. I would sooner recommend Anjunadeep 02, especially if your a trance fan. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Anjunadeep04
Anjunadeep04 by James Grant (Audio CD - 2012)