Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 30 January 2001
Now don't be mislead by the title of this review, I like the old Pulp, a lot, a hell of a lot. And I also like the new Pulp too - it's nice to see a band develop over such a long time. But this album is staggering, there are tracks on it that are simply stunning - Death II and the album version of Countdown (don't be put of by the bouncy Countdown compilation version). This album is great, and it's nearly at His and Hers.
on 19 March 2003
To really see where Pulp's defining 'Different Class' era sound began, Separations is where to go. Death II shines beautifully while My Legendary Girlfriend, Don't You Want Me Anymore, and Countdown showcase themselves wonderfully. Any Pulp fan would be mad to not have this album - as you can fully appreciate Pulp's transition from obscure to popular in listening to them grow on this CD.
on 7 April 2006
Filled with dark tales of death, abandonment, regret and distained worth this is by far the best and darkest Pulp album available, and is essential for any fan of the group's darker sides.
The distant wailing of the opening track 'Love Is Blind' leads into one of Jarvis' most expressive vocals; soaring through a huge range of needful sounds describing the mundane spirit of love.
The unmistakable keyboard stamp intro, combined with a fantastic lyric opens the wire doors to 'Don't You Want Me Anymore' the first of a two-part story about the risks of leaving love and home; a simply beautiful track.
The haunting violin intro of 'Separations' with the desperate, godly vocal are utterly capturing. The sound then dramatically changes; bouncing musically into a jiggy, swirling, bumble-bee melody, with a bird's-eye-view narrative; thus creating a fantastic 2nd part to 'Don't You Want Me Anymore.'
There are NO poor tracks on this album!
My only regret is that the inlay sheet contains no lyrics; this is a real sore point for me personally.
on 27 May 2011
If you want to understand where Pulp originally came from and how they sounded when Jarvis Cocker was a pretentious 23 year old nob strutting around Sheffield circa 1987/88 then buy this album. To put it into three words, it is brilliant. Pulp had been around a long time before finding popular success and for me, this album captures them at their very best, how they sounded when I was a 21 yr old nob strutting around Sheffield. Live Pulp were amazing and listening to this record shows you just how good they were. Personally I don't think Pulp have made a bad album but for me this is their best by a long long chalk.
on 12 November 2010
Among all the other albums including solo albums of Jarvis, this is by far the best album for me. After these years, the sound is still fresh and I may say it is a modern classic. I don't how to describe the difference from the other albums but it always comes to me a very personal and a very deep album. It has a very unique and strong sound and every song is a little treasury. And for Jarvis, besides being a genius and a very cool guy, his voice and speak/sing method strike like a thunder; in a very good way. Listen and enjoy.
on 4 October 2005
If you like Pulp and are interested to know how they got there... this is for you. Personally I think its so similar in style to the Pulp we all know and love its just great! Well worth checking out.
on 26 April 2012
The goods were as described, and came in little time. I was very impressed with the standard of service. I would not hesitate to use this service again.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse