5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to move on
Published on 13 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay
I have always liked this author's work anyway and enjoyed the book very much. It is quite interesting and insightful.
Published on 28 Mar. 2013 by Mrs. H.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to move on, 13 April 2005
By A Customer
If you have suffered the end of a relationship by a break-up or bereavement and are finding it difficult to heal and move on with your life, this book is essential reading. Grieving the loss of love, letting go of hurt, saying goodbye with love, getting unstuck, man on the rebound, a woman's fear of intimacy and learning to be happy alone are just some of the chapters in this book and there is also an exercise to help you feel better and loads of information about the different challenges faced by men and women when they are starting over and looking for love again. John Gray writes in such an understanding way you feel as though he knows exactly how you are feeling. When you are ready, I would recommend Mars and Venus on a Date as it gives invaluable advice on dating and how to build a solid base for a healthy relationship by taking things slowly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men Hurt Too, 4 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
The Mars/Venus guru reveals that it is normal for a male to express/show emotions or even "keep them inside." Although never married, break ups of long term romances leave me hurting. Like the books indicates, most friends act sympathic for a couple of weeks then want you to get on with your life. In fact, when my long term girl friend broke up with me, then we reconciled with an engagement committment, I made the mistake of telling her I placed a personal (it couldn't be cancelled). I told her I did not go out with anyone; half the time I didn't answer the phone. I was still in love with her. But I was lonely. My fiance was upset; she thought it said I really didn't love her. But, like Gray said, it was a knee jerk reaction to deflect some of the pain and try to survive. Since I have traditional morals, no intimacy was involved. I also empathized with Gray's going to where his dad was killed and acknowledging that his brother killed himself because he was too! "sensitive" for this world. I wish women would understand that men hurt too. Actually, when they do understand that the male isn't a jerk and hurts, she can't deal with it most of the time.... that makes her feel guilty. So how can either gender keep hurting each other? Gray always gives the ingredients to establishing and maintaining good relationships, but the culture of the 90s have so many fearful of another hurt. "Starting Over" is so strong, I could only read it in one or two chapter stages. After reading them, I would have dreams and old memories were awakened. I still haven't worked through the baggage from being dumped as too "nice." But at least I've placed a few new personal ads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical advice when you have lost all practicality, 14 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This book helped me understand what males go through during a breakup and that understanding and insight helped me understand my pain. It is easy to understand and everything I was going through I read in each paragraph. Dr. Gray's years of counseling are apparent and the book assisted me in finding some semblance of organization when I felt I was in the middle of a hurricane. Thank you for helping me stay out of the cess pool of self-pity!

5.0 out of 5 stars A silent best friend in hard times!, 4 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
The book is wonderfully helpful in reaffirming the absolute normality of anger, depression, fear, and sorrow of a painful divorce, breakup, or loss. It's nice to know that it's OK to feel everything and nothing all at once. From the moment I began to read the pages I felt better. Now I that Dr. Gray has helped me discover the problems, I can tackle them and overcome them and learn how to love and be loved better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for easing your confusion after a loss, 29 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
Best thing about this book is the way that it makes you feel like you are not alone in your feelings. It explains why you feel the emotions that you do after losing someone that you really care about.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help for those of us who find ourselves single again, 7 July 1998
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book for those of us who find ourselves suddenly single again after the break up of a long term relationship. It really focuses on how you feel and what you can do about it, to resolve those feelings and come out the other side. There were many ah hah moments for me in the book and I could really identify with a lot of the things I've done now I'm starting over. Full of practical advice, it made me realise how and why I was reacting to many things the way I was. I also found it very encouraging and hopeful and I felt like things really will work out ok. I highly recommend it, after one day I followed its advice, went out on a real "date" and had a great time - it really works!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is simply the best book for surviving divorce!, 27 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
John Gray's approach to this subject is quite stunning. He is very sincere and discloses alot about his own personal life and ,therefore,not only writes as a professional,but also as someone who has experienced loss.
Read it and be comforted. Move on with an open heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very comforting book for going through difficult times., 17 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
Whether you are dealing with death, divorce or any kind of hurtful break-up, this book is for you. It has recently helped me to get back my life after a very painful breakup.
I definitely recommend this book for anyone who has ever been in emotional pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for couples who have recently broken up, 24 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
Thanks to Dr Gray for writing such a supportive and practical book for people, like myself, who have recently broken up. It has really helped me through a difficult time, and shown me how to move on with a positive attitude.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starting Over, 6 Jun. 2010
M. Lawrance (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is helping me cope with my divorce (never expected this to happen to me). It's good to see that the feelings I am having are normal and i am not alone. Just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel now...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›