4.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye dry eyes
This mostly magnificent, generous compilation features at least two songs so beautiful I want to shout from the rooftops how good they are, and tell everyone they should hear them.
Published 15 months ago by GlynLuke

3.0 out of 5 stars don't rush to buy this
Published 3 months ago by david handy ( a mackem )

3.0 out of 5 stars don't rush to buy this, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
Tom Rush was a constant presence on the turntable in my flat in the 60s . There was the magnificent Circle Game and the Electra one with Do Re Mi and Panama Limited . He was one of a seemingly endless flow of folkie talents coming out of America in those days . As John Major would have said , I was not inconsiderately delighted to find him when idly browsing through Amazon one wet afternoon . The album was slid into the Marantz within ten minutes of arriving and I laid back waiting for the memories to wash over me . It did not happen because this is a mediocre compilation . The sleeve claims it is a magnificent document - er not by a long chalk , squire . It opens with a unique version of San Francisco Bay Blues in that I did not know it was possible to be recorded while inside an Ikea wardrobe . Kids These Days is karaoke Captain Beefheart . Two stars are added to the one I had in mind Since Urge For Going and No Regrets are included . They come from The Circle Game and that is the one to buy . Avoid this mess .

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye dry eyes, 23 July 2013
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
One is Tom's own classic No Regrets, later successfully covered as a comeback single by The Walker Brothers. It's one of those 'don`t worry about me, I`m perfectly alright' lost-love songs, which would move a stone. In the first verse he sings:

I know your leavin's too long overdue
For far too long I've had nothin' new to show to you
Goodbye dry eyes, I watched your plane
Fade off west of the moon
And it felt so strange
To walk away alone

It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, and one of the most moving.
The other essential song here is an early version, long before she recorded it, of Joni Mitchell's wonderful Urge For Going. Not even Joni herself made as much of the song's restless imagery as Tom, with his deep rich baritone.

I get the urge for goin'
But I never get to go

There is a third reason to acquire this sensitively compiled selection from various periods of Tom's career: a great song called Lost My Driving Wheel, by David Wiffen. It cropped up in the sixties on one of those CBS Rock Machine Turns You On LPs, and I've never forgotten it.
One thing you never forget once you hear it is that voice. Rush tended to do covers of others' songs, and he chose well, giving Joni, Jackson Browne, and James Taylor a welcome boost at the outset of their careers by recording their songs. One reason he always sounded so authentic is the soulfulness of his dark brown voice, which sounded, even back in the sixties, like a man with plenty of experience and the vocal authority to match.
The first four tracks here are from early blues-based albums, and are good to have, though few will resist the urge to skip them once heard. It's mostly the later songs which will beguile and enthrall anyone new to this singer.
I actually prefer this collection to some of his official records, as not all his covers early on were aptly arranged (especially one or two of his James Taylor ones, always best sung by the man himself) but here you get much of the best of this superb singer, whether singing one of his own all too rare compositions, or something by one of his now illustrious peers.
I expect Tom Rush is virtually an institution in the US. He should be everywhere.
A fine man with a gorgeous voice.

Now there's no regrets
No tears goodbye
Don`t want you back
We`d only cry again...

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY BEST OF TOM RUSH: NO REGRETS, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
The album is excellent, it varies, in my opinion, from country rock, to folk, to blues. But the best track by far is 'No Regrets'. It's what I actually bought for and it doesn't disappoint.

Tom Rush is a very underated singer/song writer. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Regrets., 27 Aug 2014
Mr. Clifton Jones (Matlock, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
An excellent singer song writer. I'd heard other people do his songs, so it was nice to finally get something by the man himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOM RUSH BEST OF, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
I HAVE HAD 1 SONG OF TOM'S SINCE THE 1970'S CALLED LOST MY DRIVING WHEEL WHICH IS INCLUDED HERE, TOM HAS A GREAT COUNTRY VOICE AND HIS SONGS DRIFT OVER YOU LIKE A WARM BREEZE

4.0 out of 5 stars REALLY COOL, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Very Best of Tom Rush: No Regrets (Audio CD)
A good birthday gift for a fan of Tom Rush & of folk rock. A better than expected Cd my partner is very pleased with his gift .The quality is excellent .