Published 5 months ago by IanS

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't zoom the pictures
It's quite difficult to see the pictures and I can't zoom them in on my cellphone. It makes the reading unworthy.
Published 19 months ago by Daniela

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for everyone in magazines, and useful for quite a few others too, 24 July 2014
Decades ago I worked in magazine publishing and Jan White was The Man. My employer once paid him a large dollop of money to fly in and lecture us. The techniques described in his book are pretty much the way we did it. Few people outside the industry have an inkling of the thinking that goes into designing magazines. You may argue with some of it, but it's a way of looking at pages and publications that you need to acquire if you work in that industry.

I changed career but fondly remember this stuff. Jan White's name came to mind recently, for no particular reason. Google led me here and I bought the book mainly out of nostalgia.

Editing by Design is densely stuffed with solid from-the-coal-face wisdom and advice. It's presented in an engaging way that you can dip into or read at a stretch as you please. You will always come away with something to think about and try out. It isn't the last word on the subject but this is a book you really should read if publication design impinges on your work.

Nowadays I get to write manuals and sales materials occasionally, and help design software interfaces more often. Many of the lessons apply universally, not just to magazines. I am finding Editing by Design a useful refresher as well as a confidence booster when awkward clients who know nothing of design make me begin to wonder if I imagined it all and their blunt-headed crap is the new good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Nov 2008
John Milbank (UK) - See all my reviews
Whether you're an experienced magazine designer, or just starting out, this is a truly brilliant book. Even if you think you know all the "rules", there's plenty of gems in here. Totally worth the money... I even bought my last editor a copy, and she loved it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 9 Mar 2013
This is an increadible book, specially for those who work with editorial design. Every designer should read this book !

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't zoom the pictures, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Editing by Design: For Designers, Art Directors and Editors, the Classic Guide to Winning Readers (Kindle Edition)