Most helpful critical review
41 of 43 people found the following review helpful
on 7 November 2013
This is a mixed product. When they work, they are fantastic. We now have 4 in our house, and they have made a noticeable difference to the warmth of the place, and have eliminated drafts from the chimneys altogether. The problem is, getting one that works right. We have had 5 in total. Of those, one simply deflated overnight, falling out of the chimney. We sent it back, and received a prompt refund. The other problem has been suffered by all 5, and it's a manufacturing and quality control fault. The valve through which you inflate the sock isn't made properly, and certainly isn't inspected. That means that the hole is either too small or covered up altogether by plastic flashing - a thin piece of plastic which covers the hole and is caused by the halves of the mold being a bad fit. Pretty poor show. It's easy to fix with a very thin blade or narrow screwdriver, but I don't expect to have to do this to EVERY one of the 5 I bought. Shame, because that poor quality control spoils what would otherwise be a fantastic product.