5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Work Demystifying John's Vision
Published on 28 Sept. 2011 by Mr. G. M. Mackley

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Symbolic
I really like Tom Wright's "For Everyone" bible commentaries. I have about 10 of them and they are all good, very readable and clear. I do find his little anecdotes that start each new section of every book a bit trite and distracting but this is a minor quibble with an otherwise excellent series.

The first half of this book on Revelation is also...
Published 10 months ago by C. Cassidy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Work Demystifying John's Vision, 28 Sept. 2011
Mr. G. M. Mackley "Gordon" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I have many commentaries about Revelation. Many of these are big books and quite difficult to read. I have read many more thoughts on line. I have also listened to sermons and series of sermons on the book. Often the various options presented can seem more confusing than the actual text or alternatively the presenter of the commentary explains only the easier imagery, symbolism and illusions whilst leaving significant gaps, which are often the bits you most would most like to understand! You can end up more frustrated regarding what the book is about after the commentary than you were before!

None of this with Tom Wright's version, which is concise and easy to read (and very cheap too!).

He continues the 'for Everyone' format with this book, using his own translation of the original Greek of a set of verses at at time, followed by commentary including relevant items in his own experience.

Tom Wright goes through each chapter with his usual simple 'no nonsense' approach to what it must have meant to the original readers and what lessons should be taken on board by those of us coming now much later in history, although he does not shy away from stating where passages are difficult to interpret. Throughout, Tom Wright's great scholarship in theology and biblical history shines through the explanations.

This is very refreshing after the many wild flights of fantasy which are quite inappropriate (and often just simply factually wrong!) which purport to explain this first century Middle Eastern book and which seem to fill so much space on the web.

Having bought the book, I had got as far as chapter 17 in Revelation in less than one day, so easy is it to read and understand.

For everyone who has had difficulty with working out the meaning of the Book of Revelation through the imagery and symbolism, I cannot recommend this book of Tom Wright's too highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful introduction to one of the hardest books of the bible, 15 Mar. 2012
Revelation is one of the hardest books of the bible to read if you are trying to make sure you get the right end of the stick. What Wright does (as in the rest of the series) is to provide his own modern translation broken up into small sections and then he provides a commentary on each section.

One of the great benefits of having this as a study book is that it effectively forces you to read the whole thing from start to finish, which is very difficult to do in a church or housegroup. Personally, I think this is a very good approach in general, but it is especially useful with Revelation, given how any sections taken out of context could be very easily misunderstood.

The early part of the book with the letters to the seven churches is generally OK for most people, but once the book gets into the more esoteric aspects of the vision then it gets a lot harder to try and get a handle on it.

What Wright doesn't attempt to do is to say to the reader: "Look at this particular metaphor; it means x,y,z." While there is some context provided, particularly with regard to what John's original readers would have understood by some of the references, Wright constantly tries to being attention to the big picture.

Since this is "for everyone" this could never be a complete exegesis of the book. As such, there are still a lot of things that I felt Wright skipped over, which may have been quite tricky to discuss, though this is openly acknowledged.

Though Revelation contains some very unsettling imagery, this shouldn't be a reason to avoid it. This guide is one that I would recommend to anyone who's struggled with it and wants to try and get the first glimpses of an understanding of John's Revelation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant, 29 Feb. 2012
I really rate Tom Wright's "For Everyone" series. I've probably read about seven so far in the series and this one is as brilliant as the others - highly readable, thought-provoking and with a superb use of illustrations and examples that really help you engage with the Bible text. Wright makes the very difficult book of Revelation highly accessible and gives some very good principles for how to understand it.

I strongly recommend this (and indeed the entire series) to anyone wanting to think about the New Testament.

5.0 out of 5 stars An accessible starter commentary on Revelation for everyone., 28 Sept. 2011
rossuk (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have two of N T Wright's more academic books and this book is the first I bought in the `Everyone' series. I have a large number of commentaries on Revelation and I wrote a commentary on Revelation myself (in the 1990's), so I was eager to see what Tom Wright had to say on the book.

He has divided Revelation into 46 passages; each passage starts off with his own translation of the Greek, followed by his discussion. The discussion begins with an anecdote. Having gone through the book he has written a very sound commentary, as I expected, that would suite his target audience. It would suit those who have not studied Revelation before, e.g. young Christians; it could be used for daily reading, one passage a day or for group study.

The book includes a glossary of terms at the back. He also includes some fascinating facts, especially on the seven churches, but I was a bit frustrated that he does not list his sources. I have to say that I was sufficiently intrigued by this book that I will probably buy another in the series to see what he has to say. I commend this book to you, and Christian leaders

NB. Wright, is quite correct when he says "it's Revelation, singular, not 'Revelations', plural!".

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelation, 1 Dec. 2012
B. Ennis (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revelation for Everyone (New Testament for Everyone) (Kindle Edition)
This is a must for anyone who hasn't the faintest understanding of how to make sense of the book of revelation. I cannot recommend it highly enough for it's common sense and readable approach, packed with insight and 'Oh that's what it means!' moments.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult, 5 July 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have read the book of Revelation a number of times without the assistance of a commentary like this one and ,to be honest, I have found it incomprehensible and even quite mad. Tom Wright's book helped me to make a bit more sense out of it though I am still fairly nonplussed by this bizarre New Testament book. At times I was led to understand that the author seems to be saying that most of the book refers to the period around the 1st Century AD with the Roman Empire and Nero being the beasts etc. But I was confused when he discussed Babylon - surely this evil empire is something that still lies in our future and has still to be overthrown by the works of God ? I couldnt quite figure out the chronology of the various puzzling events that the author describes.What events have already happened and what have still to come ? I am none the wiser. The whole book of Revelation seems to be open to an almost infinite number of interpretations and Wrights book makes more sense than most. At least it treats the imagery as symbolic and metaphorical.I'll probably try to reread this book at some stage. Maybe repeated readings might bear some fruit...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 15 Feb. 2013
Mrs. K. C. Goff "katherine Goff" (Maiden Newton Dorset) - See all my reviews
wonderful book for anyone wanting to understand the book revelataion.
it grings the book alive. I am very pleased with it. The delivery service was excellent
and the quaility of the book first class would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and readable, 17 Nov. 2011
S. PURBRICK (Hemel Hempstead, England) - See all my reviews
Tom Wright has the rare gift of being very intelligent, but able to communicate his knowledge in a way ordinary people can understand.
I am reading his commentary on the book of Revelation and finding it very helpful.
Revelation is a strange book, full of dramatic symbolism and Tom Wright's commentary tries to throw some light on the subject. It's well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful book from Tom wright, 9 Mar. 2013
Easy reading accessible style. Definitely for everyone. Makes the bible passages really clear, with excellent explanations and illustrations. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great aide to understanding Revelation, 9 Oct. 2013
It explains Revelation in a clear way without getting bogged down by distractions of interpretation. I am currently leading a group study on Revelation and bought this book to help me get my own head round all the themes and issues. I have learnt so much, and can't recommend it highly enough. It really is for everyone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›