5.0 out of 5 stars The House Lurcher
Published on 15 May 2011 by Veda Lapham

3.0 out of 5 stars very good book, but not that original.
This is a very good read, especially if it's your first book about Lurcher's and you haven't read "The Complete Lurcher" by Brian Plummer (written in 1979). Reason being, the Author Jackie Drakeford has copied a lot of the breed information about the lurcher crosses directly from Plummer's book.
There is some good advice within this book to give it some...
Published 13 months ago by M. Telford

5.0 out of 5 stars The House Lurcher, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
I'm so pleased I purchased this book, I have a rescue lurcher myself and have learnt so much through this book not only every day care but how to understand the gentleness of these dogs and how to treat them to get the best from them. My dog is a whippet/salukie lurcher and through reading this brilliantly written book I understand and respect her so much more and would recommend it to anyone who has or thinking of getting a lurcher.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' read for all lurcher and would be lurcher owners, 3 April 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book: the pages overflow with both wit and wisdom about how to best look after and understand you're lurchers behaviour. It is very easy to dip in and out of for more salient points or equally easy to snuggle down on the sofa (next to your lurcher ofcourse) and read chapter to chapter. It is an excellent reference book that can be referred to throughout your lurchers development of growth, learning, behaviours, requirements and specific chosen disciplines (from new born to old lady / gent!)

This is a beautifully written book and has proved invaluable in our household of dogs, cats and horses. I can't thank Jackie Drayford enough for sharing her knowledge and fantastic sense of humour in this book. It is worth every penny and one of the best investments anyone who has lurchers can make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful information, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
I got this book out of the library and keep renewing it; I will probably buy it when the paperback edition comes out.

There's lots of useful information on lurcher-types (interesting even for a non-lurcher owner), temperament, health and first aid, rescue lurchers, puppies and what's involved in breeding.

There's an excellent section on diet, which was my first introduction to feeding dogs raw, meaty bones and raw meat.

My only regret with this book is that she didn't use clicker training in the section on recall. I used clicker training on my rescue greyhound and she now has excellent recall. Her training methods are, however, positive and reward-based, and she does caution against using any kind of physical punishment. She also gives you sound advice on which animals to avoid walking your dog nearby (deer and hares will run for miles and across roads, with your dog in hot pursuit); she also cautions against walking your lurcher in woodland as they may get lost chasing squirrels. She clearly understands lurchers and how to handle their sensitive temperament.

If you want an informative and well-written book on how to take care of your lurcher or sighthound, then I can recommend this book. If you're solely looking for books on how to recall and obedience train your lurcher or sighthound, then I would highly recommend clicker training. I found these books very useful When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us about All Animals]] (You must read the books, watch videos or utilise the help of a qualified trainer when it comes to clicker training - don't rely on the booklet that comes with the clicker; you'll end-up creating problems for yourself).

An all-round excellent book that I keep coming back to.

If you want a more in-depth book on injuries and exercise, then I would recommend Running Dog Maintenance

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
I have owned lurchers for 25 years. recently I lost a much loved dog very suddenly.

I quickly found a new pup, lurcher of course.

It was a bit of a wake up call. I had forgotten how much of a handfull they were as pups!

The book has been a big help. It also has explained to me some of the charecter traits of the dog that had puzzled me. Lurchers are great companions and this book will help you understand them and help them develope their wonderfull potential. A great buy and a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 17 May 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
This book was a great read. Deffinatly a must for any lurcher/sighthound owner, these are a very special type of dog. So many things I could relate to my own dog and use to help me with training and understanding her better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and informitive, 26 May 2010
C. Wheeler - See all my reviews
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
Anyone who has ever had a Lurcher will enjoy reading this book, but the humerous style in which the author writes makes it an easy read, whilst being very informative of all aspects of choosing and training a Lurcher. If you are new to Lurchers, but feel you want to give one a home I strongly recommend your reading this book first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 5 April 2012
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
I recently adopted a lurcher pup from a rescue centre as my first dog and I have found this book a fascinating and essential read. Jackie Drakeford obviously knows lurchers very well and it was helpful to realise that I wasn't going mad when I couldn't get my pup to respond like other dogs to toys, food or praise when trying to train her, as the experienced trainer I was attending clearly believed I was. I have been challenged and intrigued by the chapter on raw feeding and will have to inquire further about this, having never previously considered it. An earlier review has accused lurchers in general of being vicious which shocked me. It is my understanding that any dog, with the wrong owner, has the potential to be vicious and Jackie clearly outlines how the working requirements that have developed the lurcher will affect home life and gives clear advice on how to manage and train them. The chapters on identifying the contributing breeds (by analysing build, physical characteristics, coat and colour markings) to a specific lurcher are invaluable in understanding, living and bonding with your dog - though I am still trying to figure out exactly from what breeds my pup is descended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
The author really understands the special needs of this type of dog. I am most impressed at how she tailors her information and covers every aspect. I would really recommend this book to anyone who likes lurchers or wants to keep them.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have a Lurcher this should be on your bookshelf, 18 Oct. 2013
P. Bennett (Swindon, Wiltshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: House Lurcher: Care, Rearing and Training at Home (Kindle Edition)
I actually purchased this book before bringing the dog home. My wife and I, having fallen in love with a Lurcher at the Local Dogs Trust Centre, decided we really should know more about the breed before we finally committed to rehoming. This book had everything we needed to make the decision and we now have a beautiful dog who is settling in very well in his new home. Knowing what to expect and how to see to our new dogs needs has made the process so much easier. Of course, rehoming a adult dog who has clearly been abused in the past has it challenges but again knowledge gained from this book has given us some ideas of what to do. I must admit to not following the section on feeding but, as with the rest of the book, I am sure if you do follow this section you will have a healthy dog.

As for the rest well, I have read the book from cover to cover and have used it for reference whenever I have been unsure or my dog has done something I did not quite understand. There are no doubt other books on Lurchers but this one should be in your book collection if you have, or are thinking of, sharing your home with a Lurcher.

4.0 out of 5 stars The House Lurcher, 19 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The House Lurcher (Hardcover)
Loved this book. We have a Saluki/greyound puppy and the book describes her brilliantly. We have had other lurchers over the years and they were absolutely no problem, just like the book tells you.We are following the books advice and getting a trainer for our new puppy, as she is so active and gets bored so easily. We are having a big problem trying to train her. The author has her described to a T. Love her to bits and have found that lurchers are fantastic pets.