5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Hillarious
I bought this as an impulse buy after reading a review of one of Crosley's other books in the paper. I have to say this is one of the funniest books I have ever read. The essays are witty and an insightful, as well as an interesting look into the life of a twenty something New Yorker. 'The Ursula Cookie' is probably the best of all the stories. A definate good read.
Published on 22 Sep 2010 by Gaddster

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be funnier....
I found this to be a slightly uneven book in it's humour. The first one hundred pages or so I found to be quite clever, but really failing at bringing the laughs. The second half however, I flew through, and the last few chapters are especially funny. I can't really fault it when my main complaint is that it needs a little rearranging though. I'll probably pick up more...
Published 21 months ago by finalguy

3.0 out of 5 stars Petulance, perhaps?, 19 July 2008
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
"... if a soup kitchen is set up in a forest and no news crews are around to see it because they all saw THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and they'll be damned if they're setting one foot in the woods for some stinkin' homeless people, does it count? Somehow I don't think so." - Author Sloane Crosley

I've been considering the title of Sloane Crosley's book, I WAS TOLD THERE'D BE CAKE, trying to perceive the message it sends to the potential reader. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's catchy, though; I like it.

The volume itself is a series of essays on the author's reactions to the minor injustices, unmet expectations, petty annoyances, imponderables, absurdities, and anxieties of her young life. As of today, she's still in her late twenties.

Perhaps the best chapter is the one entitled "You on a Stick", wherein she describes the experience of being chosen as the maid-of-honor by an engaged, former high school "friend" that she barely remembers. A deer caught in headlights is less inconvenienced, apparently.

Perhaps my favorite essayist that ruminates on life and the human condition is Barbara Holland (Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences, When All the World Was Young: A Memoir, Wasn't the Grass Greener). Her view of the world incorporates a certain wisdom and common sense that have evolved from several decades of living beyond what Crosley has experienced. The point I'm trying to make is that Sloane's musings, while certainly diverting and engaging, might perhaps only be taken seriously and thought profound by someone no more than thirty. She has a flair for expression, however, that, seasoned by the years to come, should result in a perception and literary talent that rivals Holland's. Thus, and perhaps unfairly, I'm awarding I WAS TOLD THERE'S BE CAKE only three stars not for what it is now but rather in comparison to the book it could become in 30-40 years.

Of course, somebody age 90, or thirty years older than I am now, may comment that this review is nonsense and I should give credit where credit is due. As a matter of fact, you're welcome to say that no matter what your age.

Returning to the mood conveyed by the title. Petulance, perhaps, or a growing sense of disappointment? I really do like it for its cleverness.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's all over by Christmas - wait for the Greatest Hits!, 3 Jan 2011
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
Engaging but patchy, like the higher-profile David Sedaris, who is obviously shaping up to be the new Mark Twain (but who beyond America's shores (alongside Thoreau Mencken and Emerson) reads him?) Maybe they aspire more to the condition of stand-up, which is all about 'love me', than to literature. I note Crosley credits in her acknowledgements those ('anyone'!) who 'edited me closer to funny'; dare I suggest that sometimes distance lends enchantment? The Christmas one is good - but it's over by p28. Heigh ho...

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed, 23 Aug 2012
I have to say I was slightly disappointed. I bought this following a rave review and it just didn't meet my expectations. I found the stories slightly mediocre and almost as if the writer was forcing humor where there was none to be had. Bit to try hard for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious - Sloane Crosley is absolutely SPOT ON, 4 Sep 2010
Absolutely loved this book - hilariously funny and such an easy read. Perfect holiday/commuting quickie. Recently finished reading How Did You Get This Number by the same author - equally brilliant. My girl-friends are queuing up to borrow both!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Aug 2008
I bought this following Nicholas Lezard's rave review in the Guardian and have to admit to being underwhelmed. She has a nice voice and can write well, but the stories are too often boring and inconsequential and she isn't funny enough. David Sedaris does this sort of thing a billion times better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped, 19 April 2013
I so desperately wanted to like this one, but four chapters in and I was struggling to read another word. Sloane Crosley comes across as an incredibly privileged young woman who has had no real struggles in life - which is fair enough - but she then attempts to create huge dramas unnecessarily. I forced myself to read through to the end but it just got worse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: I Was Told There'd Be Cake (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually write reviews. However this was so bad I would hate for anyone else to waste their time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't read past the first chapter., 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: I Was Told There'd Be Cake (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book in the '12 days of kindle' promotion after Christmas and totally hated it.
It's not that the book is bad, just not for me. Download a preview before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Handler, 26 Nov 2010
H. Griffiths (Kent, England UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I am a big fan of Chelsea Handler, in particular 'My Horizontal Life' My Horizontal Life and Sloane is mentioned in the book a few times. I thought I would see if this book was any good and it is good but just not as fall-off-your-chair funny as Handler.

The stories have more of a sentimental feel to them and funny lines are dotted around. Still enjoying reading it but I would prefer it to be a bit more outrageously witty, as this was what I was hoping for from a peer of Handler.

So in short -read Chelsea Handler and this either as a warm-up or for when you have read all of her books and are looking for something to fill the void!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 17 Dec 2011
Mr. Sp Cottle - See all my reviews
I genuinely thought that this was going to be Portal fan-fiction, I bought it on a whim, and am consequently a retard...although it's actually a pretty good book.

I Was Told There'd Be Cake