I loved Morse and yes I watched this nervously, unsure of how this show would pan out. It was a gutsy move on the part of the producers to pursue this idea but it has certainly paid off. The music was great, the scenery as stunning as you would expect and the cast superb. I thought Shaun's portrayal was sensitive, intelligent and powerful and gave gentle nods to the characteristics of Morse that we all love. Credit where it is due, all of the performances were absolutely spot on and the cast full of strong well-known actors.

I particularly liked the moment at the newspaper office between Endeavour and the editor (Thaw's daughter) where she asks if she knows him from somewhere - maybe another life- nice touch, as was the usual cameo of the creator Colin Dexter. The end moment in the car was a touching and respectful nod to a great and much missed actor and I found that very moving but not overly emotional.

I hope the producers follow this up with a series, it was truly excellent. I would certainly watch and add it to my Morse DVD collection. Bravo!! More!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I watched this on tv and immediately pre-ordered the dvd, which came today. There are no extras on here which was a shame, as a little documentary on how the idea to do this came about would have been interesting. There are subtitles on this which I know some people will be glad of. I must admit that I wasn't the greatest Morse fan, but I absolutely enjoyed this, and although it was only a one off perhaps we may be lucky and they may give us a series.

The story in itself is a good one, my only gripe being at the very beginning where it is a bit confused. Morse is at college and it flicks between that and a murder victim being found. The problem is that these two things didn't happen at the same time but this isn't made all that clear. With this one off we see how Morse became like he was in later years, and the way this is done can't be faulted.

As I wrote above, the only problem with this is the very beginning, but even taking that into account, this is well worth watching.
on 18 January 2012
...before purchasing the DVD

I can see now why other reviewers are put out. The DVD edits change the whole essence of the story. The TV version made sure that the loose ends were nicely tied up and everyone received just desserts. The DVD shies away from the morality issue and leaves the viewer thinking that some people have got away with their naughtiness. Probably more true to life back in the Sixties, but this should not be done with a release on DVD.

This DVD nonsense detracts from the beautifully written and acted drama. Shaun Evans is excellent as the young Morse, wondering what to make of his life. Dropped out of University, on the brink of handing in his resignation letter to the police, Endeavour is at a crossroads.

In steps DCI Fred Thursday - an honest, appreciative detective of the highest calibre, played by the velvet-voiced Roger Allam. Thursday is what Morse has been looking for: a mentor, an icon, someone untouched by bribery and corruption. Thursday is quick to see Morse's potential and has him running the case in no time. Morse makes a few errors, but Thursday stands by him, despite all the politics and corruption running rife around him.

Thursday introduces the teetotal Morse to beer, and the wheel of his Jaguar. The future Morse becomes visible as we progress through the story, even his preternatural fixation with femme fatales.

This is a very polished story, despite me knowing who did it as soon as I saw them. If you are a Morse follower, you will know the score, but who cares. The drama hinges on the relationship between Morse and Thursday more than the mystery and that is why it works so well. Very watchable indeed without becoming overly maudlin.

TV version 5*
DVD version 3* for the cheek of cutting out scenes.
Average 4*
on 2 January 2012
Watched this on ITV and it is very good, Morse is quite different in the early days, I am not going to spoil it for you. Very well acted and has the 'little quips' as I call them to make you laugh. Twists and turns, unexpected storyline amidst two deaths. I hope they make some more of this and turn it into a series, it will be well worth it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Anyone who was a fan of John Thaw's 'Inspector Morse' was heartbroken when in the last episode of the series he died. And, then, in real life, John Thaw died soon after. 'Inspector Morse' was to me, the irrefutable detective of the BBC Mystery, well wrought, well written, so well acted and, we grew to love the irascible Morse. It was a joy to watch his Episodes, and the series continues strong today.

In 2012, someone thought to write a show about the young Inspector Morse. Morse, he is an Oxford dropout, returning when he's temporarily assigned to the Oxford branch, taking part in an ongoing investigation surrounding the disappearance of a 15-year-old girl. The old Morse loved Oxford, crossword puzzles and opera. Working by himself, for the most part, he finds clues others have missed. Just like the Morse of old. Detective Inspector Fred Thursday recognizes young Morse's talents, and, others are upset with this newcomer.

Shaun Evans plays the young Morse, and what a job well done! I was a little leery at first, but the young Morse grew on me. He had the same qualities we loved in the old Morse. The love of cars, the opera and pretty women. His job is his life, but he has some very beautiful women friends. I will look forward to the next series.

Recommended. prisrob 04-20-13
on 8 January 2012
There are so many Morse fans out there still, that I bet a lot of us watched 'Endeavour' with a certain apprehension, hoping that the writers wouldn't do something awful with such a magnificent character.
We shouldn't have worried, the memory of Inspector Morse was not sullied.
What we did see was a younger, less experienced man to the one we became used to on our screens played so brilliantly by John Thaw. Nevertheless, the sharp mind and tendency to follow his own instincts rather than procedure is apparent, as is the deep love of music and an almost blind admiration for the opposite sex. Poor Morse, even back then it seems as if he had no luck with the ladies!!
Thankfully Shaun Evans did not attempt to do the impossible and play Morse as John Thaw, but instead has created his own vision of the detective in his earlier years, only occasionally adding a particular mannerism in homage to the late actor.
This worked well and tied the two life times together without over doing the sentimentality.
However I was moved by the appearance of Abigail Thaw as the Journalist the young Morse interviews, as I was by the shot of her father's eyes in the rear view mirror at the end of the episode.
I do hope Endeavor is developed into a series as it has shown itself to have real potential.
No doubt it will depend on how this episode is received by the viewing public and for my part I give it the thumbs up. The only reason I withheld the full 5 stars is that I thought that the story line was a little weak in places, but still enjoyable.
Lets face it, if the standard of acting and story lines would even come close to the quality of Inspector Morse, it will be a certain winner.
on 5 January 2012
I also thoroughly enjoyed this. Loved the period details, the references to the original series (including half the cast), and the story. A beautifully paced, beautifully acted, beautifully shot film. I assumed this was the first of a series - I hope so.
on 14 January 2012
I am one of the biggest fans of Morse and initially I had some reservations about the programme as in my eyes John Thaw is Morse. I was pleasantly surprised an hope that there is more to come. The little finishing touch brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye.
on 20 June 2012
Endeavour

I found this most entertaining. It was standard fare and similar in style to the Morse series of old. Well acted, good story line and nicely paced.

Of course, the plot is pretty implausible but it is fiction after all and it attained its aim of keeping me engrossed. Good characterisation, though maybe the writer could have given an earlier hint in the script of the murderer's true psychotic nature! In the final revelation it merely made the identity of the killer seem dissonant.

Shaun Evans well defined the innocence of a young Endeavour (Morse), uncertain and lacking confidence but with a dogged determination to do the right thing. (As an aside, it was nice to see him actually drinking his beer and not taking token sips, only to suddenly rush off on some pretext and leave a full glass behind, as we see so often!).

I did feel that the programme could have done with a further 20 or so minutes. It seemed that the writer suddenly realised that time was up and the ending was rushed. Endeavour suddenly rattles out the solution to the whole mystery with what seemed a quantum leap of understanding! And I found it difficult to believe that a detective police constable would have been allowed to conduct such individual enquiries into a murder case even in 1965. But that was a minor quibble.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and hope that this is a pilot episode of more to come.
on 3 January 2012
Loved it, absolutely brilliant casting, acting and written so well. I do so hope they develop this into a series, this could run and run...... if they let it.