4.0 out of 5 stars LNER'S Flying Scotsman.
This is one of the most popular trains in the world and Hornby has produced a very good model which looks like the real machine.
Before I purchased this train set, I did some research and found that there are several versions of the Flying Scotsman train set.
The versions are:-
1) Flying Scotsman train set which includes two coaches, oval and track pack...
Published on 3 Nov 2012 by Master1

Especially as discounted by Amazon, this is a good price for what is mostly an attractive and well made train set. I'd classify it as a younger-modeller or beginner's set in that the detailing isn't as fine as Hornby's more expensive models, or of some of the others in the market, e.g. Bachmann.

The track is pretty good quality, but does need laying carefully...
Published 13 months ago by Dr Rick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Mostly a great set; but not a toy; and ruined by one fundamental design flaw, 24 Nov 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Hornby R1167 Flying Scotsman 00 Gauge Electric Train Set (Toy)

The track is pretty good quality, but does need laying carefully on a hard and properly flat surface - I certainly wouldn't use the trackmat on the floor. Train sets like this really need a level of preparation and investment in a solid baseboard, and without one you'll run into problems like some of the other reviewers.

The real problem I have is that the coupling on the rear of the tender that connects it to the carriages is ridiculously flimsy; it's held in place by a tiny thread of unsupported soft plastic; after about ten light uses of the set it's already nearly snapped off and can no longer support its own weight.

I purchased this as a project to build with my young son and with memories of the Hornby set I had as a boy. It's really disappointing to find that it's many good qualities are ruined by a small but crucial element that renders it quickly useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars LNER'S Flying Scotsman., 3 Nov 2012
Master1 (England, UK) - See all my reviews
The versions are:-
1) Flying Scotsman train set which includes two coaches, oval and track pack A.
2) Flying Scotsman train set which includes three coaches, oval and track pack A.
3) Flying Scotsman train set which includes three coaches, oval with track pack A and B.
As I already have the Eurostar train set with Track packs A,B,C and D I decided to buy No.2. I have used most of the track to integrate it with my existing train set, and will extend it later when I buy some more points. That way I don't have any room for Track Packs E and F.

The detail to the engine and the tender are very good and when it runs you can see the connecting rods moving. The three coaches are of good detail, you can see into the windows, each coach has 1st and 3rd class compartments (2nd class disappeard sometime ago) and both the corridor and seats are clearly visible.
Putting the train on the track took a little time and care is needed when coupling it to the coal tender and the rest of the train.
I found that the Flying Scotsman does require a very flat surface to run one, and time needs to be spent getting all the creases out the base mat.

As this train set is at a cost, I would not let young children play with it on their own, but under adult supervision they should be able to enjoy this train set. As at the time of writing the real Flying Scotsman train is still in referbishment and York and will probably be there for a while longer before it is able to run under its own steam again, this train set is a good reminder of a great and very popular train.
In all a very good train set and does compare quite well to the Eurostar train set.
When running the two trains together, the Eurostar does sprint along a lot faster and will 'overtake' the Flying Scotsman several times within a short space of time. Which in reality, a high speed electric trian will run a lot faster than a steam train which is nearing its 90th birthday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great train set good value for money, 24 Nov 2013
Although the review title is positive I do have to start off with a small compliant. Although the package arrived and appeared to be well protected for some reason the front 4 wheels/bogey area was not connected up to the rest of the train and it took a while to figure out how to fix it on properly!

That said, I think this is most likely an unlucky one off. The train set is good value for money (especially when compared to the crazy prices for the DCC already installed trains!), the locomotive and carriages appear to be of a very good standard and it runs excellently so far. No regrets in buying this at all!

EDIT - I now have to add another negative point... though it has a happy ending. After a day or so the locomotive stuttered and stopped. It had occurred to me while it was running that it sounded a little rough compared to what it should sound like but the stoppage was quite sudden... though it did get going again it was stuttering still. If you come across this apply some small amounts of machine oil to the areas mentioned in the maintenance guide that comes with this train set and then try and running it for a few minutes and it should return to normal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 26 Dec 2012
David Wurtzler (UK) - See all my reviews
Despite some negative reviews regarding the quality of the layout mat, we decided to take a chance and get this as a Christmas present for our 12-year old son. Surprisingly, the mat turned out to be made of vinyl and not paper as described (I guess that Hornby listens to its customers!). This on top of the high quality track, carriages and engine, it made the perfect gift. A little forward planning helped as we had a sheet of thin board ready to ensure a smooth surface for trouble-free track set-up. The bottom line is that our son is thrilled with the set and is currently shopping for track expansion sets to spend his Amazon gift vouchers on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter set, 19 Feb 2014
Great starter set. The loco ( not tender driven ) runs well plus the coaches look great. Comes with 3rd radius bends.
As mentioned in a few previous reviews, the rear tender coupling does not look very strong but so far seems OK however I am not sure how it would hold up long term especially if left unsupervised with younger hands. Only other criticism is that the power supply does seem over sensitive and trips out the power quite quickly and you have to switch of the mains power off for a few seconds to reset things.. A bit annoying but I guess this increases safety when kids left unsupervised should wheels short out across the track the for any reason.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hornby Flying Scotsman - Very Disappointed, 29 Dec 2013
I have had some Hornby engines, carriages, track etc in my loft for many years and my 8 year old grandson is now ready to use them but as the transformer doesn't work, I decided to buy him a new set for Christmas. What a mistake.

I didn't in fact buy it from Amazon as it was about £45 cheaper in Costco (£83), but thought I would relate my experience. My grandson waited patiently while we opened all the presents on Christmas morning, saving this special one till last. On opening the box - what a disappointment - the driving rod on the front wheel was hanging off, looked like it hadn't been riveted or pinned at all! We didn't bother to assemble the track - just looked at the carriages.

You can imagine his face and the tears that followed - sure spoiled our Christmas Day. From what I saw of the Flying Scotsman boxed set, I would describe it as rubbish - so poorly made compared to the original that I have.

I will try to make a layout with what we already have and buy a new transformer - the engines and carriages look so good. I won't do it for a year or two - and hope that his first experience with model trains fades away. Costco as ever had no quibbles at all about refunding the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 7 Feb 2014
I bought this for a birthday gift. My Dad loved it. It was a starter set for him. It arrived on time and was well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great selection and lots of fun for the grandchildren, 4 Jan 2014
A big hit with our grandchildren. They have had lot of fun and will add to it thought the years, so it was a wise choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., 31 Oct 2014
I purchased this set as my first in the Model Railway hobby!

Its a good set but after a few weeks the loco is not running very smooth and loses power a lot.

I have cleaned my track and services the loco but no joy.

The detailing of the is alright for the price but could be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, 28 Nov 2013
Got this for a Christmas present for someone I love I have been looking for this for sometime just the job

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›