5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a little gem.
Published on 19 Mar. 2012 by M. K. Michael

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring stuff for the elderly...
some nice melodies but all the cineastic despair and drunken from sadness behaviour thing remembers me laughing to some other guys doing that in the eighties... the old smack isn't worth to be reloaded. Just let them drown...
Published on 10 Mar. 2012 by waidler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a little gem., 19 Mar. 2012
M. K. Michael "super kevv" (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
I will begin by thanking Amazon, as they were the ones who recommended this album (big pat on the back for that). I'm a big fan of The National and Boxer Rebellion, which was probably why it was recommended to me. I can normally tell how much I'm going to like or dislike an album straight away, if the song doesn't catch my attention in the first few seconds then I usually press skip on the i-pod and if I skip the majority of the songs on the album then this usually leads to me discarding it. Sadly on the first listen to this album it never really stood out to me but oddly I did give it a second chance and I'm so glad I did. Its been playing none stop on my i-pod since.

The lead singers voice is very hard to describe, I suppose it kind of sounds like he's been shouting too much or has just come into the studio with a sore throat after a serious bender the night before. But its unique and slighty soothing in a weird way. Many would slate this album for being too depressing, which after his brother (recent) and mother (not so much) commiting suicide, he's not going to be playing the trumpet and dancing the macarena now is he. Perhaps its me and I'm a sucker for depressive songs because I know for sure I seriously love this album.

Standout tracks are the first two and 'new drink for old drunk'. Go on give it a punt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rise Ye Sunken Ships We Are Augustines, 18 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
This is an excellent buy I first heard of the band when they supported the Boxer Rebellion British tour last year and have been waiting for the release of their first CD. Having heard some of the tracks on their web site which are played along with the video. Now that I have the whole CD I play the tracks over and over again. They (We Are Augustines) have just finish their head liner tour of the USA and are due to tour this country in October I can't wait to see them live at KoKo in London.

5.0 out of 5 stars The LP of 2011, 18 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
A remarkable piece of work. This is a seminal album, such as Hot Fuss was for the killers. Breadth, depth and heartfelt lyrics. Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
Possibly the best debut album I have heard since Yourself or Someone Like You by Matchbox 20. Full of killer tracks that lodge themselves in your head.

Shades of Mumford and sons and just as good. Can't wait to see them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Indie, 3 Sept. 2011
Ian Williamson (Aberdeen Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
What an excellent Album made by some of the former members of Pela very good American Indie indeed definately shades of Matthew Ryan in the voice. So lots of guitars, drums and angst smashing debut record much more to come no doubt, will probably be missed by most what shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring and an absolute joy! The lyrics have a tone of redemption and ..., 28 Nov. 2014
A criminally underrated band! Musically the songs are uplifting, inspiring and an absolute joy! The lyrics have a tone of redemption and indomitable hope, despite being about some complex heavy experiences. Billy McCarthy has all the grit, gumption and exuberance of a young (and still hungry Springsteen). Please see them live if you ever get the chance - a life affirming experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I've heard in years. So raw, Billy McCarthy's voice is very emotive, unsurprisingly given what he's been through. Although his sadness and loss resonate in every song, there is still a sense of hope. This album should be huge - Bruce Springsteen/Kings of Leon/The cure. You won't regret buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
Outstanding album - just buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Rise Ye Sunken Ships (Audio CD)
I'm amazed that radio 6 music didn't pick up on and play this to death. This is what record collecting used to be like...finding a little gem that few people have heard about and genuinely loving playing it over & over. Every song is a winner & what's more they are terrific live...just pleased that some people get them. I understand the derivative criticisms but put it aside & enjoy this band giving their all. Power & raw emotion- much of the album centres around the death of the lead singer's brother -is a magical combination, which ultimately proves to be remarkably uplifting and life affirming

5.0 out of 5 stars From a TV program, 25 Feb. 2013
Heard part of a track at the end of a TV program, tracked it down and so glad I did.

Different, varied, needs a couple of listens - buy it and enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rise Ye Sunken Ships
Rise Ye Sunken Ships by Augustines (Audio CD - 2012)