5.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase!
Published 20 months ago by Mr P Allan

1.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Written It Myself
This is a poor book which isnt particularly easy to follow and its the wronmg size . It would have been better with clear sections, some basic vocab and pocket size. I threw it away and took to writing some basic words on paper as I went.
Published 17 months ago by PaulyT

5.0 out of 5 stars A great purchase!, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Most Basic Chinese - All You Need to Know to Get By (Most Basic Languages) (Kindle Edition)
This was a great little purchase for my trip. It made the whole experience more enjoyable, and I found myself using it from the moment I arrived. It was really handy in the situations given, like in restaurants and in taxis and others, but more than that, it was great to be able to play with the language in it. Granted it was basic language, but that's exactly what I wanted for my holiday, and I enjoyed being able to speak without the book after a few days.

In response to someone saying that you can't make sentences with this book, actually the opposite was the case. I found that with this book I was able to get around even without the book after just a few days using it and learning the language from it. I really enjoyed the freedom it gave me to do what I wanted and get around by myself, as well as the great feeling of just being able to stand and converse a little bit in Chinese.

Would definitely recommend to travellers to China or those wanting to learn the basics of the language!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book., 10 Mar 2013
Prompt delivery and a very good book to learn the basics. Quite short but no more is needed if you only want the basics.

4.0 out of 5 stars A no-frills practical guide, 8 Jan 2014
T. Cooper (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I am learning Chinese in class before a visit later in the year. From that I'm getting a basic understanding of the structure of the language but what I don't really get is enough opportunity to actually practise conversation in Chinese. This is where this handy little book comes in. As I have Kindle on my phone I always have it with me as a quick reminder of phrases for real-life situations. Now that I have found a Chinese student who helps me with conversation in return for help with English the book has provided a good basis for starting to get confident in speaking which is what learning a new language for practical purposes is all about! I should also say that I bought the earlier version of the book that - for sound reasons (pardon the pun) - left out the tones. The tones, plus loads of other practical information such as a Beijing restaurant guide, are now in there (automatically updated on my Kindle) and it is very much to the author's credit that he has responded so quickly and effectively to make his good little book even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughters school trip, 27 Nov 2013
Found it brilliant on her school exchange, the ratings had been spot on along with the high recommendations
The Chinese pupils also found it well done

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic Language Learning, 14 Nov 2013
An excellent beginning to the learning of Chinese. The approach to language-learning is extremely practical, expressed with unusual clarity. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Basic Chinese, 22 July 2013
This is exactly what it says it is, a guide to communicating in Mandarin Chinese giving exactly enough and no more. At one point in the book the author encourages the reader to contact him for the Chinese characters. As I have sometimes found that pointing to a phrase in my guidebook can make up for my mispronunciations, I did so. Mr McGlasson was really most helpful and courteous and I am most grateful for this further assistance and advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 5 Jun 2013
Useful to have with you if you are planning a short trip to china. It is just enough to get by.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy to have!, 20 Jan 2012
Really useful to have. Helped me get through a number of situations and wldn't go to China again without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but very useful, 3 Feb 2012
S. J. Leighton (China) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as my Chinese is pretty rubbish, and have never really learned the language. So, on a recent trip to Beijing I purchased this book, just so that I could be polite and make an effort to speak the lingo when I was there.

I wasn't expecting much, but with the vocabulary and pronunciation I was able to get around, and people actually understood what I was saying, which I found quite remarkable, as Chinese is supposed to be a very difficult language. At one point, I even was able to direct a lost taxi driver to my guest house... it wasn't too far away but the driver understood and we got there with no hassles.

Definitely recommended to anyone going to China with very little / if any Chinese language skills. Actually being able to communicate verbally made my trip more pleasant, and in actual fact I am toying with the idea of learning the language in greater depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a life saver, 20 Jan 2012
I am terrible when it comes to any other language except English but after reading this book and keeping it with me whilst I travelled around really helped me. It made the trip more enjoyable and also educational!!!

Great book and worth every penny!!!!