5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient printer for small business

2.0 out of 5 stars Good printer while it worked but beware of the HP Warranty
Published 22 months ago by Tdog

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient printer for small business, 23 April 2012
Rhona Anderson "book delia smith" (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP CM750A Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Web) (Accessory)
I felt I had to write a review about this printer for others that are looking for a reliable, efficient printer in a small office. It took me ages to make a decision on what would be the best for our needs - a small charity that produces questionnaires and research documents. This printer has excelled my expectations. It produces good quality print, is fast and does not use large amounts of ink like it's predecessor (another HP that lasted ten years)! Ink cartridges are cheaper for this model too. I would highly recommend this printer - watch out for the money back offers from HP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all-rounder for home office or intensive family use., 26 Mar 2012
E. Schilling (Norfolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This story might sound familiar to you: I needed to replace our networked HP Photosmart family inkjet printer; it suddenly gave up despite our light and careful use for less than three years. Swearing not to buy another inkjet printer let alone another HP product any more I started browsing through the vast number of tempting colour laser printer options around. I tried hard to make the "colour laser printer option" work for me but I struggled, badly: I simply did not see myself in a few months time paying almost twice the cost of the printer for tonner cartridges' replacements. So I was soon back into the inkjet arena, and took me a short visit to the local shop to reconsider HP as a possible choice: when I came across this Officejet 8600 among the sea of all other inkjet printers it was clear to me that this was the choice that best suited our needs.

The ink cartridges are very economical: you will not even blink when the time comes that you need to replace ALL cartridges at 1/5th of the cost of the printer. The resulting cost per copy is similar to the cost of a laser colour print made with the cheaper Samsungs, for example. Ink cartridges have a very smart snap-in system, with no protective caps or venting seals to be removed before insertion. When opening the lid for changing cartridges, a white LED illuminates the internals of the printer for you to see what you are doing, I thought it was a nice and thoughtful touch.

Print quality is very good. Black prints are as good as laser prints, amazing. Colour prints are also very good for all general purpose prints including photos -when using glossy photo paper. Photo prints are obviously not as good as those obtained from dedicated photo printers, but I do not really mind as in my case I always use Photobox for getting serious photo prints done anyway.

Print speed is quite fast for inkjet technology, although double-sided prints are naturally slower than average. In my case speed is not a determining factor.

The appearance of this printer is very sleek: dark grey/bronze textured colour and curved edges; this printer will not look out of place in your study/office (as opposed to the Epson that look like 10 year older in comparison with their cheap black plastic brick design). You will have to make prevision for its location though: the overall body size is on the big side -certainly bigger than my old Photosmart it replaced- especially when you think you will have to access the machine opening hatches and lids around it. A good thing is that the power supply is internal to the printer: good move from HP dropping the chunky external power supplies that were a nightmare to manage.

Ethernet networking works like a dream. None of our 7 PCs sharing this printer have ever had problems seeing the printer and sending jobs to it; very solid and fast drivers. (We have a mixture of Windows 7 64-bit/32-bit, Vista and XP). HP have simplified their software, for better: it works! (this was one of my worries from my previous experience with a large number of drivers and applications updating all the time, taking over my computer and failing frequently). I have not tried WiFi nor USB connections and do not intend to for the time being.

The touchscreen panel is big and clear, although I feel that "hard" buttons for some functions would be nicer. The "touch" action sometimes lands on the wrong option on screen, possibly because of my chunky fingers.

The 250-page feed tray is a bliss (a feature I was looking for); it gives you plenty of time to check it and replenish before running out of paper; also the automatic double sided print and scan are a bonus. NOTE: you need to check when buying as not all models include these features. When printing your job you can configure your layout format, e.g.: booklet, multi-pages per page, etc.

The scanner is very impressive: you can trigger a scanning session from the printer's touchscreen or from any of your networked computers. You can save your scanned document in different formats (jpg, pdf, doc with OCR, etc) and store it in different locations: memory card or memory stick on the printer, or the Documents folder in any of your networked computers, or in a pre-saved network folder, e.g.: in your NAS file server. Oh! There is a whole FAX function and all which I did not even looked into; I find it hard to beleve that Faxes are still among us these days!

There is no limit for Web/Cloud connectivity and applications, but I must admit I lost interest and stopped exploring them fairly shortly; however, I managed to enable a web service that allows you to remotely printing jobs by email and monitoring progress from the web (how much use one can make out of such feature is still to be seen!)

In all, I am greatly delighted with this product. For being more reliable and cost-effective than our previous printer, family are using it quite regularly, with no compains raised to the "IT department" so far.

I am very pleased that I gave HP and its inkjet technology a second chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surpassing expectations!, 11 April 2012
After returning an HP 5510 some months ago, which constantly jammed, this printer has been a revelation.

Although a mighty beast, it feels well made and thought through. It arrived early the day after ordering. It was intuitive to set up and worked perfectly from my Windows 7 desktop; my Apple Macbook; my iPad and my iPhone. I had been happy with my old Canon printer but wanted AirPrint. The printer is faster than I expected; is fine as a business printer and has an efficient link for cost effective supplies. My use is not for photo printing but for business documents. I am impressed.HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One (Print, Scan, Copy, Fax, Web)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good printer while it worked but beware of the HP Warranty, 8 Jun 2012
I purchased an Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer a month ago for small home office and private use. I have always had HP printers in the past so felt very happy to replace our old printer with another HP product. It seemed to have all the features I needed and has worked well for a month. Now the small screen has gone blank and I am unable to copy, scan or print photos as the screen is required for these options. After contacting HP customer services regarding the warranty, I was informed I would be receiving a reconditioned printer as a replacement for the new printer. As I am not very pleased with this news, I wanted to write this review to warn people that if your HP printer breaks down within the warranty period,(mine after a month), you will not receive a new one in its place or a refund. Please just read Hewlett-Packard's warranty terms and conditions carefully before purchasing this printer. Perhaps this is common practice but due to this policy I would not purchase an HP printer again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer for Home Office, 10 Aug 2012
My old Canon Inkjet was showing signs of wear - though after 5 years and costing 99 that's not bad. I decided it was time to go laser, plus I wanted colour and duplex printing with scan/copy as well - after much research I homed in on the Canon I-Sensys MF8330 and found a stonking deal at 270. I was just about to press the "buy" button when a little voice said "check toner costs" - which I did and was horrified at the running costs.

Return to go, back to research, enter stage left HP OfficeJet pro 8600plus. I'm happy with it. It's a "does what it says on the tin" device and that's what I wanted for home office printing - which is 90% of my printing requirements. The plusses and minuses:

+ good printer for the price
+ toner costs are way way below laser equivalent
+ modern-looking, "titanium-type" colouring to some of the build material
+ the ePrint function is actually very good - I took a photo outside on my iPhone, then sent it to the printer in the house via the HP app and it was on the tray waiting for me. Impressive
+ large capacity paper tray
+ for standard MS Office B&W and colour printing this is a very good printer

- very slight crinkling on the front edge of prints (may be a roller issue in duplex mode)
- on decent quality standard paper the printing is excellent but ever-so-slightly anaemic compared to laser (you pays yer price)
- photo printing is okay but this is not a photo-quality printer, again a bit anaemic (not a drama, if I wanted A1 photo quality I would have bought a photo printer)

Summing up, a great all-rounder at a great price but 4* not 5* owing to minuses above

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 15 Jun 2012
Having tried inkjets years ago and disliking the poor print quality compared to lasers I hadn't really given them a chance since. When I wanted to replace our old HP AIO LaserJet 3030 I instinctively looked for a LaserJet replacement. I soon found out that not only are the machines themselves expensive the replacement cartridges (for colour lasers) will set you back about 150.

Having accidently clicked on a review for this inkjet AIO I thought I'd look into it. The price is great (especially when you consider the current 70 cash-back), the consumables are half the price of lasers, and the functionality (e.g. double-sided printing/copying, touch screen displays) looks amazing. So I ordered one to see what it was like.

Guess what? It's very, very good. It's in a completely different league to the free inkjet you had bundled with a laptop years ago. The print speed is as fast as a laser, the touch-screen display is fast and responsive, the double-sided printing works very well with no ink bleed-through and the scanning functionality is much more robust than our old AIO (e.g. it's able to scan directly to a PDF on a networked computer).

So is the print quality as good as a laser? Well... not quite. If you look really hard you can see that the blacks aren't quite as black (in that shiny laser way) and the edges of letters aren't quite as sharp. I'm quite picky about print quality but, to be honest, given the exceptional value and the superb functionality it's a small compromise I'm willing to take!

3.0 out of 5 stars This printer is not manufactured in the UK as it has European power supply., 28 Jun 2012
I thought I should write a review on this product as I order so much through Amazon UK and feel they should make Customers aware when they are purchasing an item that is not manufactured for the UK Market.
The Printer comes only with a 2pin European Power Lead and no English Manual, although if you are Turkish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish or Portugese you are quids in.
The printer itself when using a UK adaptor does exactly what it says it does. Although without the manual and flying by the seat of your pants whilst setting it up does take approximately 30 minutes, trial and error.
Contacted Amazon to let them know I just required a power lead and manual via virtual chat and kept waiting for several minutes for their feedback, to be told bluntly "send it back" (but with no instructions on how to do that).

4.0 out of 5 stars HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, 17 Oct 2012
We have replaced this printer with an old version of Officejet 8610 which we have had for about 8-10
years. This ia a much improved version and we managed to set it up without too many problems. The print
quality is excellent and the speed amazing, you have to stand and catch them nearly as they come out!!!
All in all we would recommend this printer to anyone who wants a small office printer with great capabilities.

Only slight jib is that the paper tray is very flimsy and we can see that it will probably break before too long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good multi purpose printer, 2 Sep 2012
Rohit Vishwakarma (London) - See all my reviews
this printer does it jobs very nicely. I wanted a simple time saving printer/scanner, this printer connects all devices wirelessly, so no hassle about the connecting the cables.

I especially like the in-built web-server, so I can simple customize the setting using just the browser. Scan to email feature is the best in terms of saving time, no need to power on your computer to access scanned document. simply email straight from the device!,wow!. Also HP ePrint service allocates an email address to your printer, so you can simply email a document to the printer and it will be printed automatically.

Usually these kind of advanced features is reserved for high end office printers, but at this price this printer is excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real WorkHorse, 25 Aug 2012
I use this at home. This printer is big I will warn you now. But the diffence between this and your 100 printers is just so obvious. This printer oozes office power and class. Set up is a doddle. Wireless works perfectly. Software updates and installation is very easy.

Scanning and photocopying is pushbutton easy. Print quality is outstanding and consumption is very very cost-effective. I cannot fault this masterpiece of technology.

ARRAY(0xa8e008c4)