Please note: this review is referred to the 3-meters long version of this cheap optical cable, sold by Betron Electronics and _fulfilled by Amazon_.

Published on 12 Oct. 2012 by V'ger

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine but photo misleading
The photo shows a much thicker cable surround and different plugs to the received item (Which is misleading and gives the wrong impression). I think that the actual fibre optic inside is the usual diameter, I was able to roughly compare it to a fatter one that I have already. So basically there isn't as much sleeve coating as the more expensive cables but otherwise it...
Published on 15 Mar. 2013 by tenchdk

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, long, thin, "soft" optical cable that works perfectly, but beware the build quality!, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Betron Premium Toslink Digital Optical SPDIF Audio Cable - Digital audio cable , Compatible with PS3,Sky HD, HDtvs, Blu-rays, AV Amps, Superior-grade optical fiber to deliver better clarity and transfer digital signal (3 Meter) (Electronics)

In recent years, I have been buying all sorts of analog and digital signal cables produced by Amazon (the AmazonBasics ones), since IMHO they offer great professional quality at very competitive prices, and I never had a problem with them.

Nevertheless, in this case, I needed the _cheapest_ and _longest_ SPDIF optical cable I could find, for a non-critical audio connection (2012 LG TV-out to Yamaha Dolby Digital receiver), and the cheapest AmazonBasics optical cable sold by Amazon in my country (Italy) costed almost twice as much as this one, and it was only 1,8m long... (Unfortunately, Amzon.co.uk does not sell its own cables to countries other than the UK anymore, and you need to buy them from your local Amazon web site, if you have one...)

So, I decided to risk and order this one, instead, considering the good reputation of the seller, the price of 3.79 pounds (when I ordered this, October 2012) and the fact that Amazon.co.uk fulfilled the order. (And I _never_ had any problems with items fulfilled by Amazon.co.uk.)

I knew from the picture (and the price) that this cable would be a very cheap, thin cable, and I bought many of these in the past, so I knew exactly what I was going to buy, and the cable I received was exactly what is depicted in the picture: a very cheap, thin optical SPDIF cable, with typical hard plastic connectors (the gold-plated tip actually does not make any difference for optical cables, but it is a good-quality touch anyway, and protects the delicate tips better than plastic tips).

The cable works perfectly with any digital audio signal, and it is one of those "ultra-soft" kind of optical cables: so, please note that cables like this, although easier to route - and to hide - through curves and angles (compared to more costly cables, which usually have a much thicker and multi-layered sheath protecting the delicate optical fiber core), are _very_ delicate, and you can break them _very_ easily by simply bending them too much (I broke a lot of them this way, unfortunately...).

I just wanted to add that - contrary to what someone else wrote in another review - in my case the connectors are _very_ good, and clicked perfectly and firmly in both the optical jacks on each end, without wobbling or coming out.

So, in case you are worried that the connectors might not click/stay in properly, it might depend on your specific connectors, since I tested these in various optical ports, and I was always able to plug them in properly
and firmly.

So, I think this cable is a real bargain for its price, but just be _extremely careful_ in avoiding bending it too much while routing them, or applying too much force in pulling/pushing the connectors (NEVER pull these cables by grabbing the cables themselves: always grab the plugs!), since I know for sure that "soft" optical cables like this one are extremely delicate and prone to break in an instant.

In the end, you get what you pay for, and if you are looking for a bargain, ultra-cheap, long optical cable that just does its job, this one does it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Optical Cable, Does the job Perfectly, 8 Aug. 2014
This optical cable is cheap and does the job perfectly. You don't need to spend so much money on HDMI cables and optical cables from PCWorld or wherever cause there no difference and you'll pretty much get ripped off and you can get the cable so much cheaper on Amazon and you can get the cable longer aswell at a cheaper price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap And Does the Job, 15 July 2014
Syed Sufan "Syed" (UK) - See all my reviews
very good pleased with purchase over a month going strong so far, initially felt it might let me down. Its working great with the chrome cast when watching movies with 5.1 Surround and also connect it to my SKY HD Box occasionally does the job well. No complaints. Highly recommended seller and item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and works well, 27 Jun. 2012
I have bought a few of these cables and they are well made and seem good quality...especially for the price! Have bought others in the past that don't work but these work well. There's no reason to spend any more money for a 2m cable. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My flexible friend, 1 Jan. 2014
Well people this lead looks exactly like the one in the picture, it bends well and if you spin it fast enough it makes a whistling sound which is fun, but my wife keeps telling me off for doing that, it's best use is for getting sound from a device to a speaker, it does this really well in fact I would say it was designed just for this purpose and the whistling sound it makes is just a bonus :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it is meant to., 8 Dec. 2013
There isn't a lot to say about a product of this type, either it works and works well, or it doesn't. I'm happy to tell you that this one works great. I really don't see the need to be paying any more than this ultra cheap price for an optical cable. I have been using this one for about a month now and the sound quality is perfect. I'm running it from a sound bar to an optical port on my tv so it's basically handling the sound from multiple devices (Sky, Blu Ray, Xbox). It handles it all fine and it sounds great. Don't pay over the odds for a "premium" optical cable, there is no noticeable difference, not to my 30 year old ears anyway...

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we want from an optical cable: great quality, little price., 15 May 2013
Optical cables don't have to be expensive to be great and this one from Betron is exactly that (at 2.99£). Inexpensive, optical quality, works flawless.

I would never have paid the full price of £29.99 because I learned along years of working with professional sound and audiophile installations that no optical cable is worth more than a couple of pounds. Keep this in mind: ALL optical cables work the same.

You can have a thicker cable, more rubber on the outside, some gold connectors, colour stripes, little caps to protect the plugs and even glow in the dark sparkles but that only adds up to the price tag, not to the quality. Simply check that the connectors are robust enough if are going to be pluging in and out a lot. Otherwise to sit there on your devices, don't be picky.

This optical cable at 2.99£ is a great buy but only at 2.99£.

4.0 out of 5 stars Budget cable delivers Pro Results, 30 Dec. 2013
This is a very affordable cable. It is being used to connect the xbox digital audio output to my amplifier digital audio input to eliminate the audio latency on the Rockmith 2014 xbox game. The cable arrived in a clear sealed bag with connector caps that need removing before installing into the the sockets. The plugs are very tight fit and are very difficult to pull out. This is ideal if your amp is anything like mine and full of cables bunched together like a bowl of spaghetti. Not so good if you need to quickly release it as it does take some force to remove the plug once it is in. The cable delivers perfect digital clarity and I no longer have any audio lag from strumming my guitar to hearing it from the speakers. Very happy with my purchase. Why go to the expense of over rated Hi Fi specicalist branded versions when this will do just nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Optical Delusion, 29 Nov. 2012
I've used many different optical cables over many years as a Music Producer - To me this "cheap" one works the same as a fancy golden one with braided sheath - The protective cable shell is not thick so might not be ideal if your cable run is exposed to being walked on (I can't imagine why that scenario would occur but mention it anyway). If having a pretty looking cable matters to you then perhaps this plain black one isn't for you but the moulded connectors snap into the sockets and the optical fibre carries the signal - That's all I wanted from it - so good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Cable, 4 Dec. 2012
Good cable, good connection no problems, delivered in good time, not much more you can say, does the job it sets out to do