5.0 out of 5 stars Nice balance of academic rigour and anecdote!
I have been interested in 'The Crusades' since I did a general studies course on the subject 40+ years ago (during my Physics degree, of all things!).

I don't propose saying anything more about the excellence of this book - the other 29 reviewers (so far) have said it all - absolutely excellent book about the Crusades!

What I would like to draw out...
Published 21 months ago by CaptBirdseye

3.0 out of 5 stars I have given this a neutral 3 review as I ...
Published 1 month ago by Sally Burdyke

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Asbridge, 7 July 2010
Dee Dee (Back in blighty) - See all my reviews
Having massively enjoyed the author's original work on the First Crusade, I must admit that I ordered this book well in advance. I was not disappointed. It was well worth the wait and the positive reviews recorded here do Asbridge great justice.

The book frequently left me caught up in a compelling narrative, that was enriched by various and fabulously depicted legends. Don't read this book on the Underground, you will miss your stop.

Fabulous book - Asbridge - whats next?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Jan 2013
D. M. Aree (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Brillant book. Clearly written in easy to follow English with plenty of facts an stories about the crusades. I couldn't recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thomas Asbridge, one of my favourite historians., 13 Dec 2013
Asbridge, along with my history teacher (from years ago haha), can be attributed for my passion for the crusades. This book is a perfect example of why I delved into the world of the Holy Wars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 28 Nov 2013
At 700-odd pages long it seems a bit daunting ,but it really does need that much to tell the story of the Crusades. The book is an easy , if not 'light' read ,which is a remarkable achievement for a book so information-heavy.
You won't mind though.You'll want to press on ,to find out what happened next.Such is the nature of it.It reads like a novel and draws you in,but i'ts real and it happened...
Also it far and away trumps its TV counterpart ,hands down.At this price it's a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Formidable, 16 Dec 2010
This is a book that completely satisfies the readers thirst for knowledge on the subject. It focus on the first and third crusades, but it also includes th others. The author is extremly good in narrating, and it has a fine red line throughout the book. The book also takes into account the recent work of other historians (his accounts Richard the Lionheart changed my views on him, something I was more than happy to do). I can't really say I missed anything, except perhaps an account on the fourth crusade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece., 17 Aug 2010
This book covers the whole crusading era. From Pope Urbans rally for the first crusade all the way through to the last crusade and subsequent fall of the last bastions of Christendom levant.

The book is written in small chronological sections giving a in-depth summary of each turn of events. All the main characters of the era are covered; Godefroy de Bouillon, Saladin, Richard I (lionheart), Louis XI, Baybars and Edward III (longshanks).

There is good coverage of the internal politics and infighting between the various factions within the Christian and Muslim states.

This book is written very well and flows very nicely without getting bogged down in number crunching and repetitiveness

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land (Kindle Edition)
A first class, and thorough, overview of a fundamentally important period in history, whose consequences reverberate to this day. Asbridge is a worthy companion on this journey into the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 15 Jan 2013
M. J. Le-voguer (UK) - See all my reviews
bought this for my dad as he into that sort of thing. he says this is one of the more interesting ones he has read

3.0 out of 5 stars I have given this a neutral 3 review as I ..., 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land (Kindle Edition)
I have given this a neutral 3 review as I haven't read it. I don't know whether I will have time to read it in the future either as my reading list is already so long. I do have to say though that when I was at school I learned that the whole point of the Crusades was meant to be that Christianity was spread - and that the task was to slay or convert the infidels - with an emphasis put on Turkish people and some story to do with Ottoman Empire. I have lately been to Turkey though and been told - and have been shown evidence - that Christianty was in Turkey before the Crusades anyway. I have in fact been given a tour of St. Nicholas - Father Christmas' - own church in a village/town in Turkey.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land (Kindle Edition)
This is a very informative and well researched book about a fascinating subject. I watched the first part of the TV series and was disappointed with the "dummed down " approach. Do all TV producers think their audience are thick as planks ?

The crusades is a fascinating subject and this book goes a long way towards explaining the state of the world today, and the part that religions have played in the process.

The Crusades: The War for the Holy Land