5.0 out of 5 stars Behind The Sun
Published on 8 April 2012 by G. Young

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
I expected more from Meshuggah, apart from the odd INCREDIBLE head spinning poly rhythm, the album is a bit of a slog if I'm honest. It's really experimental as to be expected from Meshuggah, but a much slower type of experimental with no excitement. It's okay. Highlight tracks are Swarm and I Am Colossus.
Published 17 months ago by ThrashyPhil

4.0 out of 5 stars The Koloss., 7 Oct 2012
Karl Kirkby (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Koloss is the next album from Meshuggah and personally i would say that while it is a good album it is not as good as their previous work. While i would say that i am a big Meshuggah fan i was slightly dis-appointed by this release as it didn't really offer anything new or any musical experimentation. It is heavy, probably their heaviest offering yet and if this had been released by any other band doing similar stuff i would be raving over it but I have come to expect more from these guys. Definately worth checking out and if you can get it cheaper then grab a bargain. Also the 'big case' with extra stuff is not worth the price, nothing of any special note on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind The Sun, 8 April 2012
G. Young (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Koloss has an otherworldly bleakness about it, like a deserted planet, with ragged mountain ranges that stretch as far as the eye can see, endless terrains of black brown rock and dust storms that turn the sun to a hovering, ghostly coin. Some people seem to view this feeling of bleakness as a 'boring' element that runs through the album, but I love that. I like the minimalism, the feeling of emptiness; it creates a sensation of space within and around the songs. Demiurge is a good example of this, with its eerie, ambient soundscapes (it grows into something quite sinister for me, cold and chilling towards the climax, which of course I adore) and the multi-layered, slow burning beauty of Behind The Sun. Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion sounds barren and dry until it floods into colour at 3:48 with those long, disquieting tunnels of guitar sound that seem to take us slowly, creeping into points of space. The Last Vigil takes this feeling of space into another dimension, an ethereal, haunting place full of forbidden geometry and strange, bleeding light.

Koloss is intricate, dense and heavy. I love the drumming patterns on Marrow and Swarm and the way the twin guitar riffs slide away from each other like magnets on Marrow. The way the guitar notes on The Demon's Name Is Surveillance build and bend into something high, wild and intense, penetrating and peering into your mind like snaking, living cameras, and how Do Not Look Down seems to flow into a completely different song at exactly the 3:00 minute mark. The way the guitar (it sounds like a weird sliding backwards chord with bending strings) seems to pull my stomach muscles down at 0:18 (there are two more during the song, deliciously heavy, they occur at 1:06 and 3:46) on I Am Colossus, it feels exquisite, like falling through a trapdoor. I love the ascending chromatic riff during the chorus and the lead solo towards the end is beautifully-placed, having a 'siren-esque' quality to it, a little like the melody (or rather the atmosphere) you hear during Corridor Of Chameleons (at 2:02 and 3:55) from Chaosphere. The Demon's Name Is Surveillance has this siren-esque quality as well towards the end section at 3:30. You can hear elements of Chaosphere and Obzen throughout the album and for that matter, elements of Nothing and Catch 33.

Koloss is an alien landscape. Beams of sunlight flicker in broken shafts on that black-brown surface. At certain angles, the light glints like gold upon those great stones. It is full of twists and turns like some leviathan puzzle box. What you find inside depends on how deeply you want to go into that box.

Koloss. Bleak. Barren. Alien.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maths Metal, 11 Aug 2013
Darren Vaughan "Darren Vaughan" (Amersham, Bucks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Once you find & understand those rythms from another dimension; you are trapped; trapped I tell you....
....in the wonderful musical honey trap that is Meshuggah.
Such clever,clever bastards

5.0 out of 5 stars Embrace the Void, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
It's Meshuggah, it's bleak, mad and technical. Freaking awesome!

In the words of Devin Townsend, fine purveyor of all kinds of metal insanity...

"Oh. My. F*****g. God."

5.0 out of 5 stars "Its technical, beautiful, innovative, provocative!", 3 Mar 2013
T. S. Esteves "Shunkey" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Koloss [VINYL] (Vinyl)
At first I thought that this wasn't the kind of album that would work well on vinyl. I thought it would be too heavy... But I was wrong. What is great about the having this album on vinyl is the sinister artwork with which many comparisons can be drawn with the music itself. Its technical, beautiful, innovative, provocative!

This band surprises me every time they bring out a new album and with Koloss, they do not disappoint. Its even more technical than previous albums and a lot more subtle. The co-ordination in songs such as "Do Not Look Down" and "The Demons Name is Surveillance" are mind blowing. Meshuggah continue to move the Holy Grail out of reach of those who seek to obtain it, which is only right of the band that invented the sound some would call "Djent".

However I think that the first single from Koloss; "Break Those Bones Whose Sinews Gave It Motion" just dragged on for a little too long. Its a good song and is a great contrast in tempo to the rest of the album being much slower. Also rhythmically the song not as complicated as the rest of the album giving some listeners a much needed break form the onslaught of Tomas Haake's genius. But with little noticeable change throughout the song, it doesn't justify being nearly 7 minutes long.

"The Last Vigil" brings the album to close with an eerie but peaceful instrumental guitar duo. Marten Hagstrom and Fredrik Thordendal ease the listener back into real space time which they had been forced to vacate at the opening riff of "I Am Colossus"

All in all Koloss is another incredible album form an Incredible band. Meshuggah have outdone themselves once again. Definitely worthy of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars chugg, chugg, chugg!!!, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Masters of the extreme. a better offering than Obzen, with the inclusion of some "groovey" riffs and drum patterns... can i hear a cowbell? always good in my book. i've listened to these guys for years (since destroy, erase, improve... for me their opus) believe me, these guys also deliver live, case in point, Manchester Academy 17th april 2012. this cd has not been far from my side, either in the car or at home. I always can't wait for their offerings and this has sealed the deal for me. THE BEST BAND ON THE PLANET OR ANY OTHER FOR THAT MATTER.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best metal albums!, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
I have only recently got into Meshuggah. I had never heard of them before - which is quite a shock to myself!! I came across them browsing around youTube and listened to the 'Bleed' track, after that I went and bought a few of there albums Obzen, Nothing, Chaosphere and Koloss (just been released the day I heard them on the internet). What a great band, very extreme metal - so not for the faint hearted!! But so well written and performed musical pieces!! After listening to the above other albums, I definitely find this album to be the best, the song structures and the melodies are the best I've heard out of them. Lyrics by Haake are really good, check out 'Demon's name is surveillance'!!! I was shocked to find a 4 minute ambient style track, which again is amazing at the end of the album, which I think finishes it off quite nicely after you've had the mosh fest for the 9 songs before.

I also recommend the DVD with this one, there's a 25 minute making of the album and it's pretty strange to watch how they put the record together. I will definitely go see them live I hope they start to get noticed more in the UK soon!

Buy it, if your into metal. But only real hard metal!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great release, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
This album absolutely blew me away, thought provoking lyrics, amazing riffs,amazing drums, and great vocals! What more can i say! If you're a fan of Meshuggah this is more of the same only done better (In my opinion) From start to finish every track kept me hooked and stood out in their own way. Definitely one of my favourites of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Metal head, 29 Mar 2012
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Been awaiting this album for a while, got to say meshuggah really went to town on this one. New approach with lots of progressive elements. The album is incredible! Definitely a perfect buy! Best metal album I've heard for a long time and Meshuggah are yet to ever disappoint me, which they wont I'm pretty sure of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Koloss (Audio CD)
Absolutely amazing album!! Great to listen to while doing MMA training!

Koloss [VINYL]
Koloss [VINYL] by Meshuggah (Vinyl - 2012)
Click for more info