Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£3.79

on 4 July 2012
Not my usual choice but it was on offer so I thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very interesting read showing the difference between the two cultures of the main characters. I loved how the story line went from the 1980's back to the childhoods of the older characters. I will be reading more Annie Murray in future.
on 11 April 2012
A good story, not my usuual read but thoroughly enjoyed the different way of lives, highly recommend. Usually like books set in war time Britain but this was set in the 80's and as an 80's child I could identify with the times!
0Comment33 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2012
I saw this book advertised for just 20p and although its very different to the thrillers, and urban fantasy that I mostly read, as I lived in Birmingham at the time the book was set, I fancied a trip down memory lane and thought I'd give it a go.Basically it about 2 families one Asian , one white living in various parts of B'ham,its about their every day lives and also how events in the past like the war affected some of them, and had ongoing consequences.Its about how they all interact, and it was good.I did enjoy the references to places in B'ham, and it even included Dudley Rd Hospital where I used to work, and Kings Heath where I used to live.I think even if these places mean nothing to you if you enjoy family dramas and a well written story you will enjoy this,as I said not my usual style of book, but it was an enjoyable read.
on 21 August 2012
This was a lovely book to be in the midst of reading but on reflection once finished a bit of a disappointment. The resolution, despite the long journey to get there, felt rather too easy. Everyone seemed to be able to resolve their entrenched psychological difficulties and emotional hangups as soon as they had disclosed them honestly to a sympathetic listener. One felt the book might easily have been written by a student of psychotherapy like one of the characters in the book. As a reader I certainly cared about the characters and wanted to know what would happen to them but I felt, sadly, that the ending did not live up to reality as truthfully as it depicted people's past lives and their inner thoughts and feelings. I would read another Annie Murray but hope she develops a bit more courage as a story-teller.
on 2 June 2012
I brought this book on Kindle deal of the day,didn't know anything about the author or the book just liked the title, really glad I did, it's a very moving story covering two generations and how each deals with it's own personal tradegies, and how we see things through different eyes now. Written in a way that makes it easy to relate to the situations the characters and plot evolve too. Well worth a read.
on 4 June 2012
Found this book difficult to get into. About a third way in it all gelled and became a really good read. Worth persevering. The story is about two different families and cultures but all problems are the same whereever you belong. Good storytelling and above all believeable.
on 17 March 2012
I have bought Annie Murray's books for years. This one is not a let-down - brilliant as ever.

Pauline Smith
0Comment37 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2012
I really enjoyed this book. An interesting look into different cultures, and unexpected friendships. The four main characters are all likeable, all with their own hardships. I would highly recommend this book.
on 9 July 2012
Set in Birmingham in the 80's and WW2 this story follows the lives of two women and their mothers both from very different cultures. Divorce, domestic violence and the troubles of the World War 2 and partiton in India. The daughters realisation that their mother's had lead very eventful and traumatic lives back in their youth! Really enjoyed the story, characters very well written. Especially heartbreaking details about the poor little'uns who got evacuated in the war.
on 13 July 2012
I was so impressed with this book when I read it on my kindle that I just had to have a copy to share with my non kindle owning friend,I am sure I have read other books by "Annie Murray" in the past but feel I am going to get re-aquainted and read some more,of course any books I purchase is always done through Amazon weather for my kindle or otherwise.thank you Annie Murray and Amazon.