5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
Not my usual choice but it was on offer so I thought I'd give it a go. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A very interesting read showing the difference between the two cultures of the main characters. I loved how the story line went from the 1980's back to the childhoods of the older characters. I will be reading more Annie Murray in future.
Published on 4 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Knots and tangles sorted by talking
Published on 21 Aug. 2012 by Francesca

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 4 July 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars My daughter, My mother, 11 April 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
A good story, not my usuual read but thoroughly enjoyed the different way of lives, highly recommend. Usually like books set in war time Britain but this was set in the 80's and as an 80's child I could identify with the times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Drama, 15 July 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Kindle Edition)
I saw this book advertised for just 20p and although its very different to the thrillers, and urban fantasy that I mostly read, as I lived in Birmingham at the time the book was set, I fancied a trip down memory lane and thought I'd give it a go.Basically it about 2 families one Asian , one white living in various parts of B'ham,its about their every day lives and also how events in the past like the war affected some of them, and had ongoing consequences.Its about how they all interact, and it was good.I did enjoy the references to places in B'ham, and it even included Dudley Rd Hospital where I used to work, and Kings Heath where I used to live.I think even if these places mean nothing to you if you enjoy family dramas and a well written story you will enjoy this,as I said not my usual style of book, but it was an enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knots and tangles sorted by talking, 21 Aug. 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Kindle Edition)
This was a lovely book to be in the midst of reading but on reflection once finished a bit of a disappointment. The resolution, despite the long journey to get there, felt rather too easy. Everyone seemed to be able to resolve their entrenched psychological difficulties and emotional hangups as soon as they had disclosed them honestly to a sympathetic listener. One felt the book might easily have been written by a student of psychotherapy like one of the characters in the book. As a reader I certainly cared about the characters and wanted to know what would happen to them but I felt, sadly, that the ending did not live up to reality as truthfully as it depicted people's past lives and their inner thoughts and feelings. I would read another Annie Murray but hope she develops a bit more courage as a story-teller.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter My Mother, 2 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Kindle Edition)
I brought this book on Kindle deal of the day,didn't know anything about the author or the book just liked the title, really glad I did, it's a very moving story covering two generations and how each deals with it's own personal tradegies, and how we see things through different eyes now. Written in a way that makes it easy to relate to the situations the characters and plot evolve too. Well worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars ***** INTERESTING READ *****, 4 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Kindle Edition)
Found this book difficult to get into. About a third way in it all gelled and became a really good read. Worth persevering. The story is about two different families and cultures but all problems are the same whereever you belong. Good storytelling and above all believeable.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter, My Mother - Annie Murray, 17 Mar. 2012
Mrs. P. M. Smith "Pauline Smith" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
I have bought Annie Murray's books for years. This one is not a let-down - brilliant as ever.

Pauline Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, interesting read, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. An interesting look into different cultures, and unexpected friendships. The four main characters are all likeable, all with their own hardships. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was so impressed., 13 July 2012
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
I was so impressed with this book when I read it on my kindle that I just had to have a copy to share with my non kindle owning friend,I am sure I have read other books by "Annie Murray" in the past but feel I am going to get re-aquainted and read some more,of course any books I purchase is always done through Amazon weather for my kindle or otherwise.thank you Annie Murray and Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: My Daughter, My Mother (Paperback)
After a string of mediocre books, I really enjoyed this one written by an experienced author. I have read several books by Annie Murray and enjoyed them all.
The synopsis of this book is good and doesn't need repeating. It is a realistic story about 2 mothers and 2 daughters, all with different problems, and how they learned to deal with these and in the process learned about each other. They each faced their demons and discovered how to deal with them.
I loved the relationships between Sooky and Joanne and their children Priya and Amy and the friendships that grew at the nursery they attended. There were one or two loose ends (what happened about Kieran's wife and what happened to Margaret's husband for example) but on the whole I really enjoyed this book.
The ending was a bit abrupt with loose ends. I would like to have had Joanne's dad given a happy ending after his wife had left him, and how did Meena develop once she learned English?
Even with these unresolved issues I enjoyed the book and would certainly read another by this author.

My Daughter, My Mother